LAX-FUL Turn

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_traveler

Engineer
I was looking for a short & sweet turn (and get 250 AGR points
tongue.gif
) on the cheap during my SWC->CS connection (with the 12:15 PM departure). I see a turn possible in FUL, but is is only 8 minutes!
ohmy.gif
Is this doable?
sad.gif

There is an earlier Surfliner, if the SWC is early. The later Surfliner arrives at 12:15 - the time the CS departs! I know the Surfliners are unreserved, so catching the earlier one is no problem.

The question is, are you willing to risk missing the Starlight because of an eight-minute delay on a Surfliner trip just to collect 250 points?

All it takes is one dark signal, or one freight train with a bad engine, or one late Metrolink getting in your way, and you'll be in Fullerton wishing that you weren't.

The question is, are you willing to risk missing the Starlight because of an eight-minute delay on a Surfliner trip just to collect 250 points?

All it takes is one dark signal, or one freight train with a bad engine, or one late Metrolink getting in your way, and you'll be in Fullerton wishing that you weren't.
Agreed. Don't take the risk. Depending on the day, the morning freight congestion on the FUL-LAUS portion of the Surfliner route often means delays for passenger service, be it Metrolink or Amtrak, despite three, even four tracks along much of the distance.

The Surfliner increasingly encounters its biggest delays on this portion of the route, especially from FUL to LAUS.

The Surfliner arrival in LA at 12:15 is often late, as it is the early departure from LA to SD, perenially late into San Diego and therefore late out leaving back for LA and Santa Barbara.

I was looking for a short & sweet turn (and get 250 AGR points
tongue.gif
) on the cheap during my SWC->CS connection (with the 12:15 PM departure). I see a turn possible in FUL, but is is only 8 minutes!
ohmy.gif
Is this doable?
sad.gif

There is an earlier Surfliner, if the SWC is early. The later Surfliner arrives at 12:15 - the time the CS departs! I know the Surfliners are unreserved, so catching the earlier one is no problem.
On second thought, you might be able to do this as long as the SWC isn't late into LAUS, and it shouldn't be given the padding between FUL and LAUS in the timetable.

And since Surfliner tickets are non-reserved, you can always use them later or exchange them if you're late and can't do the quick turnaround.

If the SWC is on time into LA--the last time I was on it we were an hour early and I caught the 7:20 to San Diego, train 564--you then will be able to take the 8:30 to FUL, train 566, and turn around with ease on 567 leaving FUL for LAUS at 10:18. Heck, you might then even have enough time to walk over to Phillipe's before getting on the CS.

I'd say you shouldn't do it IF you can't catch 564 or 566 from LAUS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back