LAUPT

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EMDF9A

Lead Service Attendant
I know I have asked similar questions on the past but am at work now and cannot find them in here... so two questions...

Hotel near LAUPT? Moderate piced

transportation between LAX and LAUPT. What is the economical way?

Thanks

David

Seattle

The most economical and convienent way to get between LAUPT and LAX is to use the FlyAway bus service. It runs every 1/2 hour between the transit plaza at Union Station and LAX, running nonstop. I don't remember the exact cost, but it is pretty inexpensive (on the order of $12, IIRC).

As for hotel, I am a fan of the Metro Plaza Hotel, which is almost across the street from Union Station on Main Street (on the other side of the Chevron station that sits in the triangle of Alameda, Main and Cesar Chavez). It is clean and decent, not fancy, with reasonable rates and is very convienent. It is also pretty much across a little street from Phillipes. Some posters do not like it, but I have been staying there regularly since the 1990s and find nothing wrong with it.

I know I have asked similar questions on the past but am at work now and cannot find them in here... so two questions...

Hotel near LAUPT? Moderate piced

transportation between LAX and LAUPT. What is the economical way?

Thanks

David

Seattle
Small nit, the name is Los Angeles Union Station (LAUS). The then owners in 2005 changed the name.

I was at the Metro Plaza Hotel in NOV. this year. Had a small room with two windows and could see Phillies. The room and bathroom were clean and quiet. Came in on the SWC and got there about 8:00 AM. Just wanted to leave bags untill check in. Desk clerk said to give him about an hour and call him. Went to a nearby drug store, stoped for coffee killed an hour and a half. Called him back and he had a room for me. He got a nice tip.

The hotel has somewhat of a breakfast. I only got coffee and a roll. It was a little crowded. YMMV.

All staff were good, no problems. I booked on line.

I was at the Metro Plaza Hotel in NOV. this year. Had a small room with two windows and could see Phillies. The room and bathroom were clean and quiet. Came in on the SWC and got there about 8:00 AM. Just wanted to leave bags untill check in. Desk clerk said to give him about an hour and call him. Went to a nearby drug store, stoped for coffee killed an hour and a half. Called him back and he had a room for me. He got a nice tip.

The hotel has somewhat of a breakfast. I only got coffee and a roll. It was a little crowded. YMMV.

All staff were good, no problems. I booked on line.
How come you didnt have Breakfast @ Philippes? 45 Cent Coffee and Great Combo Breakfasts too! You can even get a Famous Dip Sandwich! I third the Metro Plaza, Perfect Location and Great for the Price! ;)

LAUPT vs LAUS is much the same as Cape Kennedy vs Cape Canaveral or Boulder Dam vs Hoover Dam.
I can't speak for Boulder vs Hoover, but Cape Canaveral vs Kennedy is taken very seriously by the people and government of Florida and NASA. The cape was named by the Spanish 400 years ago and for a very brief 10 years (1963-1973) named Kennedy. The Board of Geographic Names changed it back after a near revolt. BTW, the NASA's facility is named the John F. Kennedy Space Center.

Even Hoover Dam when built was called "Hoover" for the President, then during the depression it was renamed "Boulder" but recently it was changed back to "Hoover Dam". Many call it either, or both.

Even Hoover Dam when built was called "Hoover" for the President, then during the depression it was renamed "Boulder" but recently it was changed back to "Hoover Dam". Many call it either, or both.
Originally to be called Hoover Dam when it was begun in 1930 (Hoover was then President), the name was changed by Roosevelt's Interior Secretary, Harold Ickes, in 1933 to Boulder Dam, reflecting the animus that Roosevelt and the nation felt toward Hoover resulting from the Great Depression.

In 1947, Harry Truman, who liked Hoover and invited him to the White House in the first effort to rehabilitate Hoover from his ruined reputation during the Great Depression, got Congress to name the dam once again for Hoover.

Thank you everyone. Metro Plaza it is. And Fly Away. I will be flying into LAX on 01/31 for departure on #14 on 02/01. Got a great deal on a roomette for $333. I need to get a winter train fix... and I am SO looking forward to seeing snow out the PPC window as we crsoo the Syskious & Cascades.

As an aside, there was one little hitch in my reservations. Despite telling the agent that I spoke with that I needed an upper level roomette (And being assurred that was fine) when I got home tonight & opened the Email it said Rometter 11. Another call and the great reservation agent got it all taken care of.

David

Seattle

I need to get a winter train fix... and I am SO looking forward to seeing snow out the PPC window as we crsoo the Syskious & Cascades.
I was lucky to get several hours of wonderful, snowy views from the PPC a few days ago. Here's one of Mt. Scott at Crater Lake in southern Oregon.

181372_4520009193156_1772670762_n.jpg

I need to get a winter train fix... and I am SO looking forward to seeing snow out the PPC window as we crsoo the Syskious & Cascades.
I was lucky to get several hours of wonderful, snowy views from the PPC a few days ago. Here's one of Mt. Scott at Crater Lake in southern Oregon.

181372_4520009193156_1772670762_n.jpg
the cs goes by klamath lake not crater lake

Last edited by a moderator:
According to a guy who was in the PPC with us, and who lives there, so I assume he knows what he's talking about, the picture you are seeing is Mt. Scott. We're looking west from a vantage point several miles north of Upper Klamath Lake. The mountain is on the west side of Crater Lake, and you don't actually see Crater Lake from the train, but it's behind the mountain from our viewpoint.

I've created a Google Map showing Mt. Scott (on the left) and approximately where the train was when the picture was taken (on the right). http://goo.gl/maps/rcKPy

According to a guy who was in the PPC with us, and who lives there, so I assume he knows what he's talking about, the picture you are seeing is Mt. Scott. We're looking west from a vantage point several miles north of Upper Klamath Lake. The mountain is on the west side of Crater Lake, and you don't actually see Crater Lake from the train, but it's behind the mountain from our viewpoint.

I've created a Google Map showing Mt. Scott (on the left) and approximately where the train was when the picture was taken (on the right). http://goo.gl/maps/rcKPy
very true, i mistakenly thought you were saying the cs travels along crater lake. nice pic

OK Its done:

SWA Seattle/LAX on 01/31

FlyAway Bus LAX to LAUS ($7)

Metro Plaza for one night

Philippe's in the AM

#14 02/01 Roomette 7 LAUS-SEA.

I am SO looking forward to this =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back