Late TE to Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernServesTheSouth

Service Attendant
On 5/4/19 the arriving 22 into Chicago was 6:45pm almost 5 hours late. Those transferring to trains going east would have missed connections to Cardinal #50 that left at 5:45pm and the Capital Limited #30 that departed at 6:40pm. Doesn’t appear that neither train was held up for connecting passengers.

What did they do for those with reservations for either of those trains?

Anyone on this board that was involved in the above mess?

The Empire Builder is over 15 hours late due to a derailment, talk about missing connections. It’s possible that Amtrak setup a bus from Springfield or somewhere for the 22 pax to the other trains. Of course there might not have been any connections, who knows.

I've experienced that in Chicago 3 times. Every time, I was put up in a nice hotel with cab fare & food money. Caught the next day's train out. Once though, I couldn't get a sleeper on the SM! Never again!!!

On 5/4/19 the arriving 22 into Chicago was 6:45pm almost 5 hours late. Those transferring to trains going east would have missed connections to Cardinal #50 that left at 5:45pm and the Capital Limited #30 that departed at 6:40pm. Doesn’t appear that neither train was held up for connecting passengers.

What did they do for those with reservations for either of those trains?

Anyone on this board that was involved in the above mess?
Not on it, but depending on how many misconnects there could be, they have express bused from STL-CHI in the past. It's a 5 hour trip. They used to do it regularly for STL-CHI pax before the 6:30 Lincoln service was added. One bus for STL-CHI through pax, and one stopping at all intermediate stations to CHI.

Been on that bus a few times. Now I just do the Lincoln service and hang out at the Metropolitan lounge, go out for lunch; or even visit a museum if I'm going east.

Back