Last week was probably our last LD trip on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As an inexperienced Amtrak rider (previously only been on CONO from Memphis to NO several years ago), we are taking all these comments with a grain of salt. We do this because we know everybody's experiences are different as well as their expectations. We are traveling in the EB to Seattle from Chicago in June. We have a roomette (a first). While in Seattle we are going on a cruise to Alaska and then flying back home. While the cruise is something to look forward to, I am most excited about the train trip! We live in an area where there isn't any trains (closest depot for Amtrak is 2-3 hours away) so we are making this trip as part of our bucket list. We plan on eating in the diner car for all meals so we can have the experience. We won't care if we are full. We may stay up all night just wandering the train. We won't care if the beds are too hard. We are just going to enjoy the trip! As a previous poster said "the train trip is our vacation!" We are definitely getting some good information from this site. We will use some of the suggestions.
You haven't done much traveling on Amtrak, and you've already given them an A+ before the trip even started, so take your comments with a grain of salt?
Got it.
We haven't given any grade yet and I'm not sure where you got that idea. I think you missed the point of my post. I didn't say YOU take my comments with a grain of salt, I said WE. If this is the kind of response I can expect in this forum then I think I will not be back. Thanks a lot.

As an inexperienced Amtrak rider (previously only been on CONO from Memphis to NO several years ago), we are taking all these comments with a grain of salt. We do this because we know everybody's experiences are different as well as their expectations. We are traveling in the EB to Seattle from Chicago in June. We have a roomette (a first). While in Seattle we are going on a cruise to Alaska and then flying back home. While the cruise is something to look forward to, I am most excited about the train trip! We live in an area where there isn't any trains (closest depot for Amtrak is 2-3 hours away) so we are making this trip as part of our bucket list. We plan on eating in the diner car for all meals so we can have the experience. We won't care if we are full. We may stay up all night just wandering the train. We won't care if the beds are too hard. We are just going to enjoy the trip! As a previous poster said "the train trip is our vacation!" We are definitely getting some good information from this site. We will use some of the suggestions.
You haven't done much traveling on Amtrak, and you've already given them an A+ before the trip even started, so take your comments with a grain of salt?
Got it.
We haven't given any grade yet and I'm not sure where you got that idea. I think you missed the point of my post. I didn't say YOU take my comments with a grain of salt, I said WE. If this is the kind of response I can expect in this forum then I think I will not be back. Thanks a lot.
You said you are going to enjoy the trip before stepping foot on the train. With Amtrak, disappointment is always a distinct possibility and it seems foolish to pronounce yourself satisfied without even having started the trip.

Loconut2b has what is generally referred to as a positive attitude. Those afflicted with that malady are usually seen as cheerful and somewhat upbeat - as opposed to some members of this forum who suffer from optical rectitis.

Got it.
You said you are going to enjoy the trip before stepping foot on the train. With Amtrak, disappointment is always a distinct possibility and it seems foolish to pronounce yourself satisfied without even having started the trip.
I'm with loconut2be. The "worst" trips are the most interesting. Why take the trip if you are planning to be miserable? The times I really wish I hadn't taken the train are because I'm traveling with someone who I wish would take their attitude someplace else. About that hard bed? I've slept on the Superliner H-room floor more than once because my travel companion was too weak to climb to the upper berth. Late trains? My first long-distance trip was a day-and-a-half late.

I'm with loconut2be. The "worst" trips are the most interesting. Why take the trip if you are planning to be miserable? The times I really wish I hadn't taken the train are because I'm traveling with someone who I wish would take their attitude someplace else. About that hard bed? I've slept on the Superliner H-room floor more than once because my travel companion was too weak to climb to the upper berth. Late trains? My first long-distance trip was a day-and-a-half late.
I never expect to be miserable anywhere, but sometimes it happens anyway. In fairness to Amtrak, I have also been miserable on planes, buses, and even my own truck, but just because other modes of transportation have failed me on occasion does not mean Amtrak gets a free pass.

It has been my experience that there are two fundamental types of Amtrak travelers--those who take the train because they need to go somewhere and those who take the train just because it's there. The expectations of the latter seem to be far lower than the former. I suppose if you're on a train for a joyride then an extra day and a half is just a better value for your money, but if you actually expected to get somewhere reliably it's an unmitigated disaster.

Amtrak is very rarely budget travel, so the acceptance of bad experiences as part of the adventure is baffling to me. I have been on trains where the heater wouldn't turn off and trains where it never turned on, trains that leaked water on the windowsill during every curve, trains that ran out of food, and trains with toilets that didn't work. And from what I've heard, I haven't even experienced the worst that Amtrak has to offer yet. The fact that people happily spend thousands of dollars on trips that are like as not to include some of these trials baffles me.

I don't mean to condemn Amtrak entirely, because in general they have served my needs well enough. And the vast majority of passengers I dare say are not on trains that the locomotive quits during or that see their promised sleeper car bad-ordered with no replacement. But the inconsistency in service is absolutely maddening and entirely within Amtrak's control, and I do not believe for a second that it should be excused as making the trip more of an adventure or exciting or interesting, as I have seen so many people say.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't disagree with anything you said. Having a good time no matter how badly Amtrak performs is totally compatible with holding Amtrak responsible. Although I personally do not know how to hold them responsible other than phoning or writing later, or speaking up at the time if it is an issue that can be fixed right then.

Loconut2b has what is generally referred to as a positive attitude.
I thought it was referred to as blind hypocrisy. I shall take your well traveled posts with a grain of salt but heaven forfend you treat my naive lack of exposure with same attitude. :lol:

[...] as opposed to some members of this forum who suffer from optical rectitis.
And/or general misanthropy.
Not all of humanity. Just one particularly disappointing tribe. -_-

Loconut2b--I hope you're still here on the forum! Some of us are optimists, and there is always room for another one! :) Plus, we hope you will write a travelogue/trip report for us so we know how it turns out! :)

I had the kind of experience on 49 (12) today that definitely would have me saying "never again" to Amtrak, due to poor service from the SCA (though saying poor service implies there was service to begin with, and there was not) and cleanliness issues. Fortunately, I have taken so many trips on the train that I know today was an exception. I won't get into it here, I'll save that for Customer Relations to hear; but sometimes it is best to forgive and forget, and hope for better.

I'm still waiting for my first miserable trip. So fari don't have anything to snivel about.
Have you had any disappointing trips or ever disembarked feeling the cost was unjustified? I've had a few doozies here and there but most of my trips work out fine. Between this forum and my personal experiences I already know about most of the potential pitfalls so there's not a lot that can surprise me anymore. That being said I have completed several trips that left me feeling my business wasn't respected or appreciated. I've also seen many new or infrequent travelers treated with indifference or even overt rudeness. I think a lot of the issues I have with Amtrak service levels could be improved by having customer service representatives riding on the trains themselves. The only time I've ever seen that sort of thing in action was the Coast Starlight. It honestly felt great to be able to give feedback directly to someone who cared enough to come looking for it.

DA makes a very good point. I've had alot of "Good" to "Excellent" trips personally. But I know the system. If you travel enough to be Select each year (how do you Select Plus guys do it!? What's the secret?) you know the ropes. You know what's expected when you enter the diner, you know the lounge will be closed throughout the day, you know that you will have to sit with strangers even when their are plenty of empty tables, etc. etc. Generally once you learn all this.. the worst that can really happen is I have to put my own bed up in the morning if the SCA is missing in action. Or I have to eat at an inconvenient time because the LSA makes silly rules. Only once in recent years did the dining car staff make the meal so unpleasant that I dreaded going in for the last meal on the train. Usually... it's passable for me. Kinda like that "local" diner. You know the waitress is gonna be sassy... you know they have silly no cell phone rules, but it's just part of the experience. Us "regulars" at the diner can get used to it... but Amtrak is not a "local diner." They should have much higher standards, and better consistency.

Human nature dicates that we are quicker to complain then to praise and will remember the bad experiences far more vidly than the good experiences.

If you have travelled thousands of miles on Amtrak then you will by the laws of averages had some bad experiences but you need to put it in to perspective.

As a one off trip on the basis of probability Loconut will have a good experience as these outweigh the bad experiences.

But if any one goes into a trip expecting a bad experience with an uncomfy beds with rude staff then you will have such a trip because your mindset is wrong and you will subconsciously be looking for and finding fault in everything simply to prove yourself right to yourself.

.... if any one goes into a trip expecting a bad experience with an uncomfy beds with rude staff then you will have such a trip because your mindset is wrong and you will subconsciously be looking for and finding fault in everything simply to prove yourself right to yourself.
Keeping an open mind and hoping for the best with staff is reasonable, but expecting anything but an "uncomfy bed" on Amtrak is just setting yourself up for disappointment. The staff isn't always surly; the beds are always less-than-comfy.

I guess that this thread all comes down to the glass being half empty as opposed to being half full. We travel LD each year (this year to DEN again) and it can certainly be said that the sleeper and meal services can be better. Might be a true statement but we are dealing with an old, underfunded passenger rail service that rents track rights from the private railroads. In view of what Amtrak has to deal with; they are doing a credible job.

It is said that happiness and friendship is contagious, so we make it a point to be courteous to the on-board staff. Please, thank you and I'm sorry seem to go along way. Point is that if you extend the hand of friendship, it always comes back to you. About 90% of our encounters with Amtrak employees have been of a positive nature and that alone makes the trip tolerable and in most cases enjoyable.

As for the OP's comments on the new AGR system; I must agree that we were shortchanged on that deal.

.... if any one goes into a trip expecting a bad experience with an uncomfy beds with rude staff then you will have such a trip because your mindset is wrong and you will subconsciously be looking for and finding fault in everything simply to prove yourself right to yourself.
Keeping an open mind and hoping for the best with staff is reasonable, but expecting anything but an "uncomfy bed" on Amtrak is just setting yourself up for disappointment. The staff isn't always surly; the beds are always less-than-comfy.
For you maybe, and others, but the beds have been comfortable for me.If everyone didn't have different comfort levels, there wouldn't be so many mattresses out there to choose from and we wouldn't have sleep number beds.

I guess that this thread all comes down to the glass being half empty as opposed to being half full. We travel LD each year (this year to DEN again) and it can certainly be said that the sleeper and meal services can be better. Might be a true statement but we are dealing with an old, underfunded passenger rail service that rents track rights from the private railroads. In view of what Amtrak has to deal with; they are doing a credible job.

It is said that happiness and friendship is contagious, so we make it a point to be courteous to the on-board staff. Please, thank you and I'm sorry seem to go along way. Point is that if you extend the hand of friendship, it always comes back to you. About 90% of our encounters with Amtrak employees have been of a positive nature and that alone makes the trip tolerable and in most cases enjoyable.

As for the OP's comments on the new AGR system; I must agree that we were shortchanged on that deal.
I don't think so. There is a proper way/method/style to provide premium service and products, and then there is everything below that. I guess if that's how you look at, fine, but if you took your car in to have a dent repaired, and they only fixed the dent, but didn't paint it to match the rest of the car, would you say, "Well, at least they fixed the dent?..." ) Glass Half Full.

Its not just in sleepers that issue occur or with equipment or under funding. I was on the platform waiting on a later train in BWI, when an Acela train came to a stop. A very friendly first time passenger ask the trainmen a newbie type question . his answer was so off handed and rude, that the lady ask him three times to get a civil response she understood. That basic customer service and a training issue. Geez I thought I was boarding a Penn central train. Amtrak Has issues it can not control, but this was simple customer service on the best equipment and trackage they own. Simply no excuse. On the other hand the lounge attendant was outstanding. This is a people business, both passengers and employees, training and consistency is a must.

I had a miserable trip - during flooding about 10 years ago, I was bused from STL to MIN. 18 hours on a city bus (not even a motor coach, I guess things were too much of a cluster at that point for motor coaches). It was loud, cramped, and uncomfortable.

I was also on a train where there was damage that happened to the sleeper (minor derailment) and the sleeper pax were unceremoniously shifted to find what seating we could in the all-but-full coach (at 2 am).

So, it takes more than a grumpy SCA to make me "miserable."

That said: I wish Amtrak had more consistently-good service. I've had some wonderful SCAs down through the years (and let management know about them) and I've had some kind-of-blah ones (not bad enough to be worth letting management know about them). And I've had the classic rude-rushed dining car crew, but other times have had friendly gracious people. It would be nice to know what to expect and whether I will have to "pack my patience" or gird my loins to be a bit more assertive about getting what I need (e.g., getting help putting my bed down at night). I don't like being pushy but sometimes you have to be a little pushy with Amtrak.

Sometimes I find that being extra polite helps with service, other times it does not. The inconsistency is the problem.

The roommette beds are not that comfortable but in my opinion they're better than a coach seat where I can't stretch out properly and I'm too tall to curl up in it. And also I'm not getting elbowed by a seatmate or pushed-past by someone who needs a restroom every couple hours.

I'm still waiting for my first miserable trip. So fari don't have anything to snivel about.

Same here.

I don't like being bused anywhere and I've had more than my share of bustitutions but I've never experienced any unprofessional service and all in all am 100% satisfied with my travel on Amtrak over the past 9 1/2 years and 40,000+ miles. I suppose I'm luckier than most.

I feel the same way, I am not easily upset. I just wish the level of service was more consistent.

I try to treat every person I deal with in a respectful manner. How ever I don't think I need to go above and beyond to be treated correctly by any body in customer service field. Treating people right ( both as passenger and Amtrak rep ) can make even a bad Amtrak day better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back