Last Sleeper Car On The Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainLoverJoy

Lead Service Attendant
I'm in roomette #10 on the last car of the train. I would really love to be at the very end of the train so I could look out the back. What are the odds that car will be turned in the right direction so the roomettes are at the very back not the bedrooms. Everyone that has been in that last car, tell me which way it faced for you.....it'll be fun to see if there is a slight preponderance for one way or the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in roomette #12 on the last car of the train. I would really love to be at the very end of the train so I could look out the back. What are the odds that car will be turned in the right direction so the roomettes are at the very back not the bedrooms. Everyone that has been in that last car, tell me which way it faced for you.....it'll be fun to see if there is a slight preponderance for one way or the other.
Unfortunately you are on the Lower Level and Roomette #12 is located in front of the Family Room so you will not be able to see out the Back of the Train without going Upstairs and to the Last car on the Consist! (There are Windows on Both Sides of the train on the Entrance Doors and One Window in your Roomette!

**UPDATE: I see you changed your Post on the Room Number!, Room #10 is Indeed on the End of the Car but as was said, you won't know which way the Car is Hooked up until the Train Rolls in to the station! It's a 50/50 Shot! :unsure:

I'm in roomette #10 on the last car of the train. I would really love to be at the very end of the train so I could look out the back. What are the odds that car will be turned in the right direction so the roomettes are at the very back not the bedrooms. Everyone that has been in that last car, tell me which way it faced for you.....it'll be fun to see if there is a slight preponderance for one way or the other.
Unfortunately you are on the Lower Level and Roomette #12 is located in front of the Family Room so you will not be able to see out the Back of the Train without going Upstairs and to the Last car on the Consist! (There are Windows on Both Sides ot the train on the Entrance Doors and One Window in your Roomette!) You may want to Call Amtrak and have an Agent Switch you to a Room Upstairs! Roomettes #1 (which is the attendants Room) and #2-#10 are Upstairs along with Bedrooms A-E. Downstairs are Roomettes #11-#14, the Family Bedroom and the H Bedroom! Also Downstairs is the Shower and the Bathrooms!

As has been said on here, you wont know which way your Sleeper will be Hooked Up in the consist ( Ie the Bedrooms or Roomettes Facing the Engine??) Until the Train pulls in to the station!
I meant roomette #10, and I changed it in my post. And I know there's no way to know until you actually board the train....just asking for other's experiences.

I'd say the odds are about 50/50. All one can do is wait with baited breath until you board your train!

Have a great trip! :hi:

I meant roomette #10, and I changed it in my post. And I know there's no way to know until you actually board the train....just asking for other's experiences.

:hi:

I noticed that and Edited my Post! Although the Odds can be 50/50, Most of my LD Trips the Sleepers I was in had the Bedrooms Facing the Front and the Roomettes in the Back but Ive also been on Trains with 2 Sleeprs that were Hooked Up the Opposite of Each Other! YMMV! Good Luck, Nice Trip! ;)

Unless something has changed in the past few months Stephanie Utt, one of Amtrak's BEST Sleeping Car Attendants works the last car of the Zephyr; so hopefully you will be lucky and get her run.

Hey Joy. I rode the Zephyr back in September from Sacremento to Denver in Room 8.

On our run the roomettes were closer to the locomotive and the bedrooms were at the rear of the train.

That being said it's not a long walk to the end of the car and if the bedrooms are at the rear you have plenty of room to stand and take pictures.

It's also important to note that if you are in the 632/532 car you might not be at the end of the train for the entire trip. Another sleeper (usually called car 633/533) is sometimes added to the train for the run from Denver to Chicago.

I am on the Zephyr in late March (RT Ottumwa-Reno). Is the consist also the same going west? Can't afford a room by myself, but was hoping to be able to look out the rear for some sight seeing. I know if the sleeper is last my chances are zero.

Unless something has changed in the past few months Stephanie Utt, one of Amtrak's BEST Sleeping Car Attendants works the last car of the Zephyr; so hopefully you will be lucky and get her run.
Boyan, Johnny, and Dennis are also pretty good.

I am on the Zephyr in late March (RT Ottumwa-Reno). Is the consist also the same going west? Can't afford a room by myself, but was hoping to be able to look out the rear for some sight seeing. I know if the sleeper is last my chances are zero.
The Sleeprs are almost always last now. If you don't have a Sleeper then no chance.

I had Steve K. (can't remember how to spell his last name) when I rode the Zephyr. He was great... very helpful, easy to find, and welcoming. He even gave me some duct tape (from his personal stash) to keep my iPhone power adapter from falling out of the worn out outlet.

The only complaint I heard from other passengers about him was that he wanted to turn all the beds down by 10pm because he was going to go to bed early. He said that it was because one of the SCA's has to be up at 3am to greet passengers at Salt Lake City. It was a non-issue for me... plus he offered to show us how to turn down the beds... and said that the SCA in the next car over would be up late in case we had any issues that night.

Although it has been a few years since I worked a Superliner train regularly, My experience was 90% of time bedrooms were on rear, ie Room A.
I think you may be right. In watching 5 or 6 youtube videos of the Zephyr, all but one had the bedrooms toward the rear. In fact in most cases the last two cars were opposite of each other. I can vouch for that myself.....being in the 631 car last Spring, it was opposite (roomettes to the rear.) But of course, this is all really no big deal.....it's very easy to walk to the rear of the car past the bedrooms and stand there an watch..... I can't wait!

I will keep her name in mind. If I happen to get her, I will tell her that her wonderful reputation preceeds her. (I know they love to hear that stuff.) By the way, my all time favorite attendant is Gul on the Empire Builder.

It is quite normal for anyone interested in photographing the tracks, etc, to wander up and look out the rear window, it is often rather dirty, unfortunatly. When I was on the Zephyr myself a few years back, my coach was the last car, not a sleeper. If you are in coach, I suggest you chat to a friendly sleeper passenger in the lounge car and just explain that you want to see out the back for a few photo shots, they may let you "join" their party for a short while. Or perhaps an explanation to a dinning car supervisor when they are in a good mood might open that door to you.

If you are polite and open about your reason for visiting the "sleeper section" from coach, I think you should be ok... certainly don't just accept that you can't!!

Ed :cool:

Thanks for asking this question!

I'm booked in roomette 10 in the 532 sleeper departing Chicago 2/1/13 and I had been wondering whether I would have the railfan window right outside my door as well!

I was on the CZ in December from CHI to EMY. I had roomette 8 in the last car. The roomettes were at the back on that trip. The train was not crowded and no one was in any of the roomettes behind me. I spent a lot of time taking photos and videos out of the rear window. Yes it was dirty, so the pictures were not great, but some of the views in the Sierra Nevada and Rocky Mountains were awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back