Last Night on the Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stntylr

OBS Chief
Last night on the TE #22 as it left Texarkana a very drunk young lady got back on board the train after a smoke stop.

She went up to a friend in the seat in front of me and started complaining. Seems she needed to find an ATM machine last night

and apparently the conductor wouldn't hold the train while she went into town to look for one. She was all mad and said she would

be calling Amtrak and demanding a refund.

Two thoughts

1. She's lucky she didn't get left behind.

2. Would it have been so bad if she did get left behind?

Is it just me or have there been a lot more alcohol related problems on board this year? Several of the LD trains I ridden this year, namely the TE, CL, & CZ have all had experiences where the conductor has had to get involved. Twice I've seen where passengers have gotten free rides in the local police cars. It appeared that at least once, the alcohol was brought on board while the other times it was bought on board. Puts the cafe attendent in a tough spot when he has to notify the conductor he had to cut someone off and a argument ensued. All these incidents occured in coach. There was also once when a group of Cubs fans boarded the Lincoln Service out of Chi already feeling good and continued to celebrate on board. The line to the Cafe counter was backed up all the way to the next car. I spent $16 and upgraded to business class just to get out of the way. No problems, but the crew kept a close eye on everyone.

Is it just me or have there been a lot more alcohol related problems on board this year? Several of the LD trains I ridden this year, namely the TE, CL, & CZ have all had experiences where the conductor has had to get involved. Twice I've seen where passengers have gotten free rides in the local police cars. It appeared that at least once, the alcohol was brought on board while the other times it was bought on board. Puts the cafe attendent in a tough spot when he has to notify the conductor he had to cut someone off and a argument ensued. All these incidents occured in coach. There was also once when a group of Cubs fans boarded the Lincoln Service out of Chi already feeling good and continued to celebrate on board. The line to the Cafe counter was backed up all the way to the next car. I spent $16 and upgraded to business class just to get out of the way. No problems, but the crew kept a close eye on everyone.

I had an issue with a drunk two years ago on the westbound SWC. He was three sheets to the wind before we hit Galesburg. He was sitting in front of me whining to his sister on the phone. He was doing this rather loudly and using a lot of colorful words. He kept telling his sister that he was an alcoholic and didn't need to get help. I thought to myself 'if it helps you sleep at night, sure you aren't a drunk.' He was using very colorful words and making many people uncomfortable. I finally pulled a conductor aside and told him. He had him pulled off the train.

on the way off the train with the cops he was all like 'you're a f'n bit*h.'

No way was I going to put up with that all the way to LA.

I've experienced a couple of trips where drinking has caused problems. The first time was a man who brought his own supply and the second one was a man who purchased his on the train.

It certainly put a damper on an otherwise enjoyable trip.

I wonder why drinking is so important that people can't leave it alone on a train? I'm serious when I ask that. I don't drink at all, simply because I don't like the taste of it. I'm curious. Is there a reason to drink on the train?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I find it an enjoyable way to relax. Since whenever I go somewhere by car I'm the guy that drives, there's a bit of an added thrill of being able to travel and drink at the same time...

That said, there is a difference between drinking and drinking, if you know what I mean.

I wonder why drinking is so important that people can't leave it alone on a train? I'm serious when I ask that. I don't drink at all, simply because I don't like the taste of it. I'm curious. Is there a reason to drink on the train?
Me personally I have a mixed drink before dinner and a glass of wine with dinner and that is it. You are already "walking tipsy" with the train movement, no sense in adding anything to increase the chances of injury.

On the SL in the summer (#1 NOL-LAX) I saw people start purchasing before noon and continue until close. That why I like having a sleeper.

Because they sell it? If it was such an issue then Amtrak should not sell alcohol, but if I like a Sam Adams or two or a half bottle of wine with dinner, then why should I be deprived if the next man along is an alcoholic or just doesn't know when to stop?

I like a glass of wine or some beer on the train as a way to relax and make the trip more enjoyable. As a shy person, having a glass of wine with dinner makes me friendlier and more relaxed when meeting new people.

However, back in August on the SWC out of Chicago some people caused such a problem with drinking that they banned the sale of alcohol in the lounge for the rest of the evening. Somebody had been buying booze for a few college-age kids that were still under 21. Once the lounge attendant realized what was happening they made a train-wide announcement that because of the misbehavior of some of our fellow passengers the bar was closed until the next day.

Last night on the TE #22 as it left Texarkana a very drunk young lady got back on board the train after a smoke stop. She went up to a friend in the seat in front of me and started complaining. Seems she needed to find an ATM machine last night

and apparently the conductor wouldn't hold the train while she went into town to look for one. She was all mad and said she would

be calling Amtrak and demanding a refund.

Two thoughts

1. She's lucky she didn't get left behind.

2. Would it have been so bad if she did get left behind?
I would have voted for option #2! Drunks on trains (or any public setting) are just no fun for those that must endure their presence.

On my trip back from Chicago on the SWC this past August, a passenger boarded in Kansas City (having transferred from the River Runner)... he was already quite drunk, slurring his speech, talking loudly on his cell phone about plans to hit the bars as soon as he reached his destination and being generally obnoxious. Upon learning that the cafe car was due to close shortly, he promptly made his way there and purchased five more beers.... Here's the kicker, he was only riding to Topeka... so he planned on drinking those five additional beers in around 2 hours, and then continue partying in Topeka. By the time I got off in Lawrence, several passengers had complained and the Car Attendant was camped out nearby, keeping a very close eye on him. I didn't hang around the station during the extended dwell time, so I can't say for certain whether he continued on the train to Topeka... but for the sake of the other passengers, I hope he was booted!

Sleeping in coach is much easier if you are drunk.

I too do not really understand it fully either. I rarely drink, but it wouldn't bother me to not drink at all.

On my mega trip in August, I did buy a bottle of wine at dinner after tasting it at the wine tasting in the PPC. I shared it with the other 3 at the table! This was one of the VERY few drinks that I EVER purchased on a train!

I've experienced a couple of trips where drinking has caused problems. The first time was a man who brought his own supply and the second one was a man who purchased his on the train.
It certainly put a damper on an otherwise enjoyable trip.

Alcoholism? It's an addiction I hear.

My late sister-in-law got tossed off the EB. I've tossed her out of the house a few times too.

I think that train binge drinking on board is brought on as a sign of the times. People are stressed to the max and when they get away all h--- breaks loose. The NOL trains catch quite a few characters getting a head start on Mardi Gras and Bourbon Street. And when they leave they're still in party mode.

While drunks usually are not a problem on the Heartland Flyer, especially southbound as that is a morning run, I have often heard the LSA make a polite but firm warning over the 1MC about being cut off or possibly thrown off if you have had too much. I imagine for a drunk, the LSA could be the most important person they encounter onboard :)

Those who don't over-do it seem to drink to relax, however, several replies refer to being drunk, either themselves or other passengers.

I wonder how the train attendants feel about alcohol being served and the resultant problems which sometimes occur. If they don't deal with the problem, the non-drinking passengers will complain. If they do deal with the problem, the drinking passenger will complain.

I also wonder how profitable it is for Amtrak. Seems serving alcohol would increase their insurance expense.

A friend and I boarded the Floridian in Louisville years back for the overnight trip to Chicago in a Bedroom. The Sleeping Car attendant was drunk and was of no assistance. We reported it to Amtrak when we got to Chicago the next morning. Hopefully the person was no longer an employee.

Those who don't over-do it seem to drink to relax, however, several replies refer to being drunk, either themselves or other passengers.
I wonder how the train attendants feel about alcohol being served and the resultant problems which sometimes occur. If they don't deal with the problem, the non-drinking passengers will complain. If they do deal with the problem, the drinking passenger will complain.

I also wonder how profitable it is for Amtrak. Seems serving alcohol would increase their insurance expense.
I would imagine its people who are pre drunk that are most of the bother rather than those that buy on the train.

You would think that if it was that much of a problem, then Amtrak would stop serving alcohol.

I would imagine its people who are pre drunk that are most of the bother rather than those that buy on the train.

You would think that if it was that much of a problem, then Amtrak would stop serving alcohol.
Amen to that-- the CL is famous for the drunks boarding in TOL or PGH.

The cost is prohibitive.

A few months ago, someone posted a comment suggesting that the rock-and-rolling of the train, and the effects of alcohol actually cancel each other out enabling the passenger who has had a few drinks to walk straight. If this is true, the next time you see a passenger walking normally in a moving train, you can assume this person is drunk!

A few months ago, someone posted a comment suggesting that the rock-and-rolling of the train, and the effects of alcohol actually cancel each other out enabling the passenger who has had a few drinks to walk straight. If this is true, the next time you see a passenger walking normally in a moving train, you can assume this person is drunk!
:lol: :eek: :lol: :eek:

Look at it this way. The drunks on the trains are at least not driving drunk. Possibly because they've already lost their license, but the net effect is the same - they aren't on the road. I imagine some people take the train specicifally to avoid having to drive after drinking.

As to why people drink on the train, in my case it is one of the few places where I can drink in "semi-public" when traveling with my handicapped son. I don't need to drive and there are the train attendants to help with other activities. So a beer or 2 in the evening is relaxing.

Look at it this way. The drunks on the trains are at least not driving drunk. Possibly because they've already lost their license, but the net effect is the same - they aren't on the road. I imagine some people take the train specicifally to avoid having to drive after drinking.As to why people drink on the train, in my case it is one of the few places where I can drink in "semi-public" when traveling with my handicapped son. I don't need to drive and there are the train attendants to help with other activities. So a beer or 2 in the evening is relaxing.
But as New Mexico is complaining about with the airlines-- they get off the train and drive drunk if they've had the inclination to keep their buzz going during their ride.

However as I said before I believe it to be cost prohibitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back