Last Minute Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sjstarkey

Train Attendant
Well, I am finally trying to make sure we are ready for our trip on the 18th. I have measured my bags (the are the correct size) and weighed them (1 weighs almost 10 pounds empty!!). I am now trying to figure out what to do with the train schedules. I have noticed that the Texas Eagle has been running late into Chi almost all the time. So the time we thought we had to sightsee is diminished considerably. I know about the pizza place near the station, but if the train is running really late, should we even leave the station?

Also, i know I have asked this before, but the stop at St. Louis is supposed to be close to 50 minutes. If the train is running really late, will they stop for this amount of time? Also, the stop in Albany on the LSL is a long one. If that train is running late, will the time shorten? I have people who want to meet us at the station, to at least say "Hi" and I do not want them to come all the way to the stations, if the trains are only going to be there because of time constraints for a few minutes.

Now we will be in Wash. DC for 3 hours. That regional train looks like it runs ontime. If this is the case, If I decide to have a 2 hour sightseeing tour in a car, does that seem feasible? It would still get us back to the station with about an hour to spare.

Also, why is the SWC running so late. I have been checking the times for about a month and it gets into Kingman anywhere from 1/2 hour to 5 hours late. I was going to take the Greyhound bus from Kingman to Vegas (my hometown), because it was half the price of the Amtrak bus. But because the train is running so late, I would miss the bus. So now I need to take Amtrak bus, at least it will be waiting for us.

Stuff to bring: I will be bringing a roll of tape and a surge protector, but i am trying to save space in our bags. Is there anything else that should be a requirement? :unsure:

Thanks for any help. I love this site. It has helped me alot. :)

Staci

I know about the pizza place near the station, but if the train is running really late, should we even leave the station?
No need to. They have a nice food court. I recommend the Gold Coast Hot Dogs. (Remember, your special order pizza would take at least 1/2 hour to cook!)

Also, i know I have asked this before, but the stop at St. Louis is supposed to be close to 50 minutes. If the train is running really late, will they stop for this amount of time?
Probably not. Could be shortened some. But if the stop is for crew change and re-fueling, that still has to get done.

Also, the stop in Albany on the LSL is a long one. If that train is running late, will the time shorten?
Probably somewhat.

I have people who want to meet us at the station, to at least say "Hi" and I do not want them to come all the way to the stations, if the trains are only going to be there because of time constraints for a few minutes.
At Albany, the LSL switches from Diesel Power (from Chicago) to Electric Power (into New York City). It takes a certain amount of time to switch the engines, so your visitors there should have more than just a few minutes.

Now we will be in Wash. DC for 3 hours. That regional train looks like it runs ontime. If this is the case, If I decide to have a 2 hour sightseeing tour in a car, does that seem feasible? It would still get us back to the station with about an hour to spare.
Sounds reasonable.

I was going to take the Greyhound bus from Kingman to Vegas (my hometown), because it was half the price of the Amtrak bus. But because the train is running so late, I would miss the bus. So now I need to take Amtrak bus, at least it will be waiting for us.
Good idea.

Sounds like you are really on top of things! Wishing you all the best, and a Great Trip.

PS -- I'll be on the SWC in just a few days. Watch for my Trip Report when I get back about 10 days from now. Title will be "Great Western Triangle".

Well, I am finally trying to make sure we are ready for our trip on the 18th. I have measured my bags (the are the correct size) and weighed them (1 weighs almost 10 pounds empty!!). I am now trying to figure out what to do with the train schedules. I have noticed that the Texas Eagle has been running late into Chi almost all the time. So the time we thought we had to sightsee is diminished considerably. I know about the pizza place near the station, but if the train is running really late, should we even leave the station?
Also, i know I have asked this before, but the stop at St. Louis is supposed to be close to 50 minutes. If the train is running really late, will they stop for this amount of time? Also, the stop in Albany on the LSL is a long one. If that train is running late, will the time shorten? I have people who want to meet us at the station, to at least say "Hi" and I do not want them to come all the way to the stations, if the trains are only going to be there because of time constraints for a few minutes.

Also, why is the SWC running so late. I have been checking the times for about a month and it gets into Kingman anywhere from 1/2 hour to 5 hours late. I was going to take the Greyhound bus from Kingman to Vegas (my hometown), because it was half the price of the Amtrak bus. But because the train is running so late, I would miss the bus. So now I need to take Amtrak bus, at least it will be waiting for us.

Stuff to bring: I will be bringing a roll of tape and a surge protector, but i am trying to save space in our bags. Is there anything else that should be a requirement? :unsure:

Staci
What is your route you are going? You mentioned the Texas Eagle, LSL and the SWC. Where are you going from/to?

I will be arriving in Chicago in the 19th on the SWC. Sounds like we maye be there at the same time.

The times in STL and ALB are partially for padding. If the trains are running late, they may be shortened as soon as they finish up what is needed. So a 50 minute stop may turn into a (say) 30 minute stop. In Albany, they have to switch locomotives anyway, as p&sr said, from a diesel (coming from CHI) to a diesel/electric combination (from ALB-NYP). (Diesels can not operate into NYP, they must switch to electric power, and ALB is the easiest location for the change.) This locomotive change usually takes at least 45 minutes anyway, so you could count on a stop of at least that length.

Staci
What is your route you are going? You mentioned the Texas Eagle, LSL and the SWC. Where are you going from/to?

I will be arriving in Chicago in the 19th on the SWC. Sounds like we maye be there at the same time.
We are flying to Little Rock from Vegas and spending a few days there. Our train leaves on the 21st from Little Rock (Tex.Eagle)then to Chicago and switching trains to go to New York (LSL). We will be in New York until the 27th and then we are on a different route for the return. NYP to Wash DC.then Chi(Capital?) to Kingman(SWC). I thought if we could see different things on the way there and back it would make it more interesting. Also, my daughter will have to write a report on some of the things from the trip, so I am trying for a wide range of states, etc.

Our train leaves on the 21st from Little Rock (Tex.Eagle)then to Chicago and switching trains to go to New York (LSL). We will be in New York until the 27th and then we are on a different route for the return. NYP to Wash DC.then Chi(Capital?) to Kingman(SWC). I thought if we could see different things on the way there and back it would make it more interesting. Also, my daughter will have to write a report on some of the things from the trip, so I am trying for a wide range of states, etc.
This really does sound wonderful. The route Chicago --> New York City --> Washington DC --> Chicago is very interesting and offers a lot of beautiful scenery. I consider it one of the "classic" circle trips on Amtrak: The Great Eastern Triangle.

In Albany, they have to switch locomotives anyway, as p&sr said, from a diesel (coming from CHI) to a diesel/electric combination (from ALB-NYP). (Diesels can not operate into NYP, they must switch to electric power, and ALB is the easiest location for the change.) This locomotive change usually takes at least 45 minutes anyway, so you could count on a stop of at least that length.
In my experience it usually takes 30 minutes and no more than that to change the locos at ALB. It should take less, but generally no matter what (even a late train), it still seems to take 30 minutes.

Last time I went through Albany, an hour late, it took 15 minutes, and we pulled into Penn 18 minutes early. Don't count on the time in ALB unless the train is not running late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back