Large passenger with a question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sunflowergirl

I am traveling the Empire builder on in a few days and getting nervous because I am starting to see comments about obese people not fitting or able to get up the stairs. I am quite large and we have a bedroom on the upper level. Am I going to be able to get up there? I had no idea that this was a problem. I called to see if I could get a handicapped bedroom but they are sold out.

I am traveling the Empire builder on in a few days and getting nervous because I am starting to see comments about obese people not fitting or able to get up the stairs. I am quite large and we have a bedroom on the upper level. Am I going to be able to get up there? I had no idea that this was a problem. I called to see if I could get a handicapped bedroom but they are sold out.
I guess it would depend on large is large. It is a tight fit with two turns. If you are not hadicapped (bad knees, etc.) I would think you should be able to do it but again it depends. You could also check out the family room which is located on the lower level.

I'm over 300 lbs and 5'-10'' and could use the stairs with out touching the walls, I did find the stairwell a little claustorphobic and I seldom notice such things.

Thank you for your replies. No knee problems here so I'm thinking I'll be ok. You have no idea how relieved I am now!

I would also mention that the Bathroom/Shower in the Bedrooms (Superliners) is pretty confining, especially the A bedroom. The same is true of the Bathrooms and the Showers on unrehabbed Superliners. Have never been in a Viewliner Bedroom so not sure about them, I personally find that climbing the stairs on a Viewliner/Amfleet car is actually harder than the stairs on a Superliner but perhaps that's just me with my bad knees, I am rather slender and still have some trouble climbing the Superliner stairs, perhaps the long rumoured, never in my lifetime, Superliner IIIs will have a better design! ;)

You might find the H room more comfortable. Its on the first floor, has a wide doorway and the bathroom has a curtain so its more open to access.

Large people can probably make it up the stairs but IMO the bedroom bathroom would pose a problem.

You might find the H room more comfortable. Its on the first floor, has a wide doorway and the bathroom has a curtain so its more open to access.

Large people can probably make it up the stairs but IMO the bedroom bathroom would pose a problem.
Um, you missed the part where she tried to get the H room but it was sold out. Hence the questions.

Have never been in a Viewliner Bedroom so not sure about them, I personally find that climbing the stairs on a Viewliner/Amfleet car is actually harder than the stairs on a Superliner.
You must be talking about climbing the steps when boarding from a low level platform. If they are anything like Horizons, I would agree. If you are talking about climbing to the second level like the OP, it would be really difficult. :rolleyes:

Um, you missed the part where she tried to get the H room but it was sold out. Hence the questions.

Oops yes I did. Still I have concerns about the bedroom bath but if worse comes to worse she could always go down the steps to the Hall restroom below that has better access.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back