Large explosion heard NJ early Monday near Elizabeth transit station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Chief

Lead Service Attendant
In Baltimore at 5:45 am, all NEC trains are showing delays. Amtrak NEC on twitter says "modified schedule" for 9/19. Says service disruption due to "police activity" at Elizabeth.

MARC trains are running normally.

Apparently the bomb robot accidentally cut a wire and set the 1st bomb off. There were a total of 5 bombs, from what I've heard.

As of now (6:50 am), Amtrak and NJT are running w/delays and maybe still on modified schedules.

Service has resumed through Elizabeth at 5:30am.

The explosion in Elizabeth happened when a robot accidentally detonated one of the five devices that were found there.

Apparently FBI has detained five people in connection to some of this after a traffic stop near the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully the injured are OK and thankfully no-one was killed and that the maniacs that are doing this crap will soon be rounded up and spend the rest of their miserable existences roting in a Super Max prison.

And that the Politicians don't use this as an excuse to make us "safer" by throwing more money at HLS and passing more draconian laws taking away our rights.

Be safe,its s jungle out there, but trading our Liberties for "Security" is not the way to go!

Hopefully the injured are OK and thankfully no-one was killed and that the maniacs that are doing this crap will soon be rounded up and spend the rest of their miserable existences roting in a Super Max prison.

And that the Politicians don't use this as an excuse to make us "safer" by throwing more money at HLS and passing more draconian laws taking away our rights.

Be safe,its s jungle out there, but trading our Liberties for "Security" is not the way to go!
*dusts off the #SafeEnoughAlready hashtag...*

Amtrak's claiming service is restored, but when I tried to book NER #188 for this evening's departure, it was listed as "Sold out." That's highly unusual for a Monday evening, so I wonder if it's been cancelled. I ended up booking the Acela Express, for which they did sell me a ticket.

It is one of the trains they were considering cancelling since the regional situation was a complete mess. They must have forgotten to unlock it.

It is one of the trains they were considering cancelling since the regional situation was a complete mess. They must have forgotten to unlock it.
Was the problem mainly about getting the consists and crew in position?
Yes. NJT and Amtrak trains with expired crews littered the railroad. Getting them back for servicing and positioning was a challenge which obviously leads to cancellations so things can catch up.

I am on 97 right now with no issues. I had dinner with a woman who traveled from WAS to NYP this morning on a regional and did not have any problems. Late morning, I took 2160 from WIL to PHL. It was about 10 minutes late and the train was packed. There were no seats in the quiet car, but found one in the next car.

The kicker here is that everyone was complaining that they were sitting still and no one was telling them anything. Instead of Thank god they held the train so we're alive it's why aren't we told anything. I would imagine that this situation falls under the they didn't know anything. I just don't understand people.

Looks like 188 IS running tonight. However, the fare is $5 more than the Acela. Looks like I'm taking the Acela tonight.

You should have taken it. Maybe the reason it was $5 more than the Acela is due to the fact that 188(19) was made up from 50's (17) equipment. Maybe you could have ridden in a sleeper! :giggle:

I do not understand why an incident in Elizabeth should delay Amtrak trains on the NEC. Elizabeth is not on the NEC. As for the criminal, we should all be glad that he was apprehended. The fanatics that hate America want to resort to killing the innocent so all ail rail passengers need to be vigilant observers.

I do not understand why an incident in Elizabeth should delay Amtrak trains on the NEC. Elizabeth is not on the NEC.
Elizabeth Broad Street and North Elizabeth are NJT stations on the NEC. They are between NJT/Amtrak Newark Airport and NJT Linden, and the Broad Street station is adjacent to the famous Elizabeth S-curve. In terms of Amtrak stations, Elizabeth is between Newark Airport and Metropark. The incident was right under the tracks in an underpass by the Broad Street station. I think you need to brush up on the geography of New Jersey. :p

I do not understand why an incident in Elizabeth should delay Amtrak trains on the NEC. Elizabeth is not on the NEC.
Elizabeth Broad Street and North Elizabeth are NJT stations on the NEC. They are between NJT/Amtrak Newark Airport and NJT Linden, and the Broad Street station is adjacent to the famous Elizabeth S-curve. In terms of Amtrak stations, Elizabeth is between Newark Airport and Metropark. The incident was right under the tracks in an underpass by the Broad Street station. I think you need to brush up on the geography of New Jersey. :p
Perhaps he was thinking of Elizabethtown, PA - though he, being from NJ, should know where Elizabeth, NJ is.

The kicker here is that everyone was complaining that they were sitting still and no one was telling them anything. Instead of Thank god they held the train so we're alive it's why aren't we told anything. I would imagine that this situation falls under the they didn't know anything. I just don't understand people.
If they weren't told anything, how would they know to be grateful that they were safe? For all they knew, it could have been a delay because the host railroad was holding them to let a freight train pass. :) It would have been easy enough for the crew to announce that they were being held for "police activity."

If they weren't told anything, how would they know to be grateful that they were safe? For all they knew, it could have been a delay because the host railroad was holding them to let a freight train pass. :) It would have been easy enough for the crew to announce that they were being held for "police activity."
They were sitting in trains on tracks owned by Amtrak. It would be absolutely astounding if Amtrak gave priority to a freight train on their tracks when they even have problem giving priority to commuter railroad passenger trains, and heck even their own Regionals when an Acela is charging down the tracks :) I am sure the Conductors were doing what they were told by CNOC or CETC centers. If they were not informed what was going on or were told not to disclose due to concern about causing panic, so be it.Yes, they could have been pedantic and said we are waiting for a signal and we have no idea when we will get it, that would just upset people and provide no real information.

They were sitting in trains on tracks owned by Amtrak. It would be absolutely astounding if Amtrak gave priority to a freight train on their tracks when they even have problem giving priority to commuter railroad passenger trains, and heck even their own Regionals when an Acela is charging down the tracks
Didn't you notice the Smiley?

Although I remember one trip from hell when it seemed like all the NJT trains were getting priority over our Regional.

And just last night, our Acela into Baltimore was slowed down considerably due to a MARC train!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back