Laptop onboard question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bring a power strip, whether you're in coach or a sleeper. This will make using the single outlets in the sleepers easier to use, plus some are recessed which makes it impossible to plug in a transformer charger. Also, don't worry about a "shavers only" note. This was to discourage people from using high-current appliances like hairdryers (or hotplates, George Foreman Grills, deep fryers, etc. :) ). Your cell phone and/or laptop won't use anywhere near its limit.

Quick update.

He's home, no complaints on the train travel other than a minor inconvenience of not sleeping much & lack of outlets but other than that, he said it was all good. He met lots of nice people, had some good conversations, loved being able to roam around, had a great angus steak burger for dinner. He said each Amtrak employee was very nice & attentive. He never once said anything like, "I'm never doing that again!" He did say however, that he's looking forward to having a roomette on his return trip.

All in all, it was a positive experience. Thanks to everyone for their advice and help!

Enjoy your holidays and travels!

~ Allison

Quick update.
He's home, no complaints on the train travel other than a minor inconvenience of not sleeping much & lack of outlets but other than that, he said it was all good. He met lots of nice people, had some good conversations, loved being able to roam around, had a great angus steak burger for dinner. He said each Amtrak employee was very nice & attentive. He never once said anything like, "I'm never doing that again!" He did say however, that he's looking forward to having a roomette on his return trip.

All in all, it was a positive experience. Thanks to everyone for their advice and help!

Enjoy your holidays and travels!

~ Allison
I haven't commented, but have been following this thread - glad to hear your son enjoyed his trip. Also glad to hear the Angus burger is good - that is something I haven't had a chance to try yet. :)

Glad to hear it!

Unlike GML, I personally think that teenagers and college age kids would love the train since it so care-free and open to people "hanging out in the lounge" or roaming around the train a bit meeting new people. You can't really do that on any other form of transportation... except a boat.

Glad to hear he had a good trip. Now that he has experienced a overnight coach trip he'll appreciate the roomette all that much more. I knew he would enjoy being able to meet and talk with his fellow passengers, didn't really think about the fact he would be roaming around on the train. Just goes to show you how we take that for granted after riding so often. AND he discovered the best item on the cafe menu the angus burger! Now you can relax and enjoy the holidays with him at home.

Unlike GML, I personally think that teenagers and college age kids would love the train since it so care-free and open to people "hanging out in the lounge" or roaming around the train a bit meeting new people. You can't really do that on any other form of transportation... except a boat.
Please don't misquote me. I never said anything of the sort. I merely said that someone who is set out to hate travelling by Amtrak will hate doing it. That is all I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back