Laptop onboard question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shytown

Train Attendant
My son is booked on a coach seat from NOL to CHI, then a sleeper on the return CHI/NOL portion. How do people power up their laptops? I'm guessing there must be a power source in the sleepers but what about the coach seats? The lounge?

He's hoping to watch a few movies during the night.

Thanks ~

There is a 100% chance of power outlets in the sleepers.

In coach, when they were built 30-40 years ago, not everyone had cell phones, laptops, DVD players, GPS, etc... - thus 2 outlets per car was enough for the cleaners. As the cars go in for refurbishing, they are adding power-at-seat. I would say the chances are 80-90% of finding at-seat power in coach!

There are a few outlets in the Lounge car. If you take a multi plug outlet with you, you'll find that you have many friends! ;)

Thanks for your replies. He's never taken the train before and he seems determined, like most 19 yo's, that he's NOT going to like it. You know how it is, he's in a BIG hurry to go nowhere.

Oh well... I only hope he enjoys it, relaxes some, reads a little, joins in some conversations.

Honestly, Shytown, you're wasting your money and creating a train hater. A 19 year old determined to hate something will hate it. Especially if they want to. There is a lot of things that are objectionable on Amtrak. In my opinion its a lot less then what is objectionable on, say, a plane but it is objectionable.

If you are looking to have a good time and looking at it objectively, you will disregard them as the inconveniences of living in a time where nobody gives a hoot about doing a good job or having pride in what they do. You will, in fact, be impressed at the presence of it in usually high quantity on board Amtrak's trains. For example, you will forgive the slow service in the dining car- a result of severe understaffing- and notice that the dining car workers bust their tails off trying to provide what service they can.

But if your kid is looking for the bad in this, he will see all of the flaws, magnify them in his mind, and be miserable. Trust me on this. I was 19 not altogether that long ago.

Also, I am still very much this way when picking my mom up at the airport.

Honestly, Shytown, you're wasting your money and creating a train hater. A 19 year old determined to hate something will hate it. Especially if they want to. There is a lot of things that are objectionable on Amtrak. In my opinion its a lot less then what is objectionable on, say, a plane but it is objectionable.
If you are looking to have a good time and looking at it objectively, you will disregard them as the inconveniences of living in a time where nobody gives a hoot about doing a good job or having pride in what they do. You will, in fact, be impressed at the presence of it in usually high quantity on board Amtrak's trains. For example, you will forgive the slow service in the dining car- a result of severe understaffing- and notice that the dining car workers bust their tails off trying to provide what service they can.

But if your kid is looking for the bad in this, he will see all of the flaws, magnify them in his mind, and be miserable. Trust me on this. I was 19 not altogether that long ago.

Also, I am still very much this way when picking my mom up at the airport.
Wow, GML. I never used the word hate, you did. He is not determined to “hate” this. He is however, determined to get home - ha! You don't know the background - - neither of us has ridden Amtrak. As I do some research, I continue to find more questions. Most of it is my personal curiosity.

It’s this sort of reply (or opinion) of yours that makes others hesitant to ask questions. And on a message board! ;)

I will avert this trainwreck (intended) of a thread into a positive one. Thanks for your thoughts and I have high hopes that the kid will thoroughly enjoy himself. He is, without a doubt, very anxious to get home for a few weeks. I am hoping to make a few train trips to NOLA myself because I loathe air travel.

It’s all good.

Just keep in mind one word: "Kids!" :lol: GML means well, he just has a unique way of making his point, like we all do eh? I think your son will be secretly surprised and happy about his experience even if he won't share it with you! Teenagers! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just keep in mind one word: "Kids!" :lol: GML means well, he just has a unique way of making his point, like we all do eh? I think your son will be secretly surprised and happy about his experience even if he won't share it with you! Teenagers! :rolleyes:
he may or may not like it. who knows?! I personally think he will. He's outgoing and will find this all pretty unique.

The best advice about Amtrak travel is enjoy the journey and enjoy yourself!

I too fly as little as possible. This year due to time constraints, I had to fly (one way) cross country :eek: - but I took Amtrak back! :) That was my first flight in well over 5 years! I used to fly all the time. In fact, I still have over 650,000 frequent flyer miles - but I would much rather take a train! (In fact, I used some of them from Continental Airlines for transfers to Amtrak!)

It may sound odd, but if you preset your opinion of your trip to be bad or low, it can only go up! :) (You may be pleasantly surprised! :cool: )

Thanks for your replies. He's never taken the train before and he seems determined, like most 19 yo's, that he's NOT going to like it. You know how it is, he's in a BIG hurry to go nowhere.
Oh well... I only hope he enjoys it, relaxes some, reads a little, joins in some conversations.
Depending on when he's traveling, the train may travel through a couple of college towns and he may get to meet some college students or other people his age to make friends with. I think part of the adventure of train travel is the very real possibility of a pleasant surprise in a safe place.

My son is booked on a coach seat from NOL to CHI, then a sleeper on the return CHI/NOL portion. How do people power up their laptops? I'm guessing there must be a power source in the sleepers but what about the coach seats? The lounge?

Thanks ~
Here is a heads up on the use of laptops especially when watching movies. Amtrak requires that the use of laptops, MP3 player, DVD player, video game, etc. not make any sound through speakers or earphones that are audible to others. Make sure your son brings a headset and the sound is not too high. There will be grumpy passengers like me that will not tolerate the noise and will ask him to lower the sound. If that does not work, a requested visit by the car attendant on behalf of passengers finding the noise objectionable will rectify the situation.

I haven't flown in over nine years and I hope to never have to be some where so fast that I have to fly again. With that said, I always look at a trip on Amtrak as an adventure. I've seen some great sights and best some wonderful people. If your son is out going as you say, he'll make friends and might never take his eletronic toys out of his bag. I have two daughters (26 & 29) who love train travel. Be sure to give us a report and let us know what he thought after his trip.

In coach, when they were built 30-40 years ago, not everyone had cell phones, laptops, DVD players, GPS, etc... - thus 2 outlets per car was enough for the cleaners. As the cars go in for refurbishing, they are adding power-at-seat. I would say the chances are 80-90% of finding at-seat power in coach!
Is the proportion really that large? The last four times I've taken coach on the Empire Builder, my car hasn't had outlets. Maybe I've just been unlucky, or other trains get the refurbished coaches.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've always found an outlet. Granted I've never rode the EB but all the other trainhave had1 them. I' will say they're not alway been easy to find. Some times 0I've had to get down on the floor and look between the seats and the wall. A couple of times it was almost impossible to reach where the outlet was hidden.

Is the proportion really that large? The last four times I've taken coach on the Empire Builder, my car hasn't had outlets. Maybe I've just been unlucky, or other trains get the refurbished coaches.
Based on my last trip in August, I said 80-90%.

On the CS, I went coach PDX-SAC (although I ended up staying aboard to OKJ) in coach. The seat that I was first assigned to did not have at-seat power. So I walked the train. The car behind also did not, but the 2 coaches behind that did! I asked that CA, and was allowed to change seats! :cool: Most of my (many) other trains that trip, I was in a sleeper. But I did walk the trains, and a large percentage of them had power. Not all, but most did.

On my many trips this past year, I have always had at-seat power! :)

So I'll stick to my 80-90% estimate! :D

Based on my last trip in August, I said 80-90%.

On the CS, I went coach PDX-SAC (although I ended up staying aboard to OKJ) in coach. The seat that I was first assigned to did not have at-seat power. So I walked the train. The car behind also did not, but the 2 coaches behind that did! I asked that CA, and was allowed to change seats! :cool: Most of my (many) other trains that trip, I was in a sleeper. But I did walk the trains, and a large percentage of them had power. Not all, but most did.

On my many trips this past year, I have always had at-seat power! :)

So I'll stick to my 80-90% estimate! :D
I'd agree Dave with the exception of the Eagle and the City which get the cars that were on Abraham Lincoln's funeral train! Just rode yesterday and NONE

of the coaches had outlets @ every seat which this year has been the norm I've ridden the Eagles maybe 15 times this year, the City 5 so maybe we'll get some of the rebuilds when they ever get done! Otherwise I'd say you are correct! When are the lounge cars gonna get more outlets, there is only one in the ssl's AFAIK?

Thanks ~
Here is a heads up on the use of laptops especially when watching movies. Amtrak requires that the use of laptops, MP3 player, DVD player, video game, etc. not make any sound through speakers or earphones that are audible to others. Make sure your son brings a headset and the sound is not too high. There will be grumpy passengers like me that will not tolerate the noise and will ask him to lower the sound. If that does not work, a requested visit by the car attendant on behalf of passengers finding the noise objectionable will rectify the situation.
you would be the only one like that woman who complaned to the conductor that me ALC and his mother aaargh GG1 were talking to loud on the LSL on the way to boston. we toned or voices down but was not quite enough for the queen :rolleyes: there was a passenger next to me on the LSL going back to chicago i loaned him one of my movies and he watched it without headphones. no one complained. but bring earphones anyway just in case.

Thanks ~
you would be the only one like that woman who complaned to the conductor that me ALC and his mother aaargh GG1 were talking to loud on the LSL on the way to boston. we toned or voices down but was not quite enough for the queen :rolleyes: there was a passenger next to me on the LSL going back to chicago i loaned him one of my movies and he watched it without headphones. no one complained. but bring earphones anyway just in case.
Well, the 'queen' did have a point. We were being a bit boisterous. She apologized to me in Buffalo giving the reason she was going through nicotine withdrawl and had not had her coffee yet. :blink:

Now, when the coach attendant asked us to be quiet, I think he may have been going overboard as we were talking at a low amount, even if it was 5:30 in the morning. :glare:

I've never had any trouble locating an outlet, but my experience is limited to the Crescent and the Silver Service trains.

I don't know what sort of seating preference your son might have, but a window seat generally has easier access to plug things in, etc.. That way you aren't reaching over someone else who may or may not be asleep. And speaking of sleep, window seats also make it easier to catch some Zzz's (for me, at least) since you have the wall to lean up against. If he voices his preference when boarding, they are usually able to accommodate.

Wow, GML. I never used the word hate, you did. He is not determined to “hate” this. He is however, determined to get home - ha! You don't know the background - - neither of us has ridden Amtrak. As I do some research, I continue to find more questions. Most of it is my personal curiosity.
It’s this sort of reply (or opinion) of yours that makes others hesitant to ask questions. And on a message board! ;)

I will avert this trainwreck (intended) of a thread into a positive one. Thanks for your thoughts and I have high hopes that the kid will thoroughly enjoy himself. He is, without a doubt, very anxious to get home for a few weeks. I am hoping to make a few train trips to NOLA myself because I loathe air travel.

It’s all good.
I don't mean to be leaving you with that description. I was just trying to give my opinion. Ask away. Also, if your son does want to enjoy this trip, make sure you point out to him that trains are different than planes in the level of passenger interaction. If you haven't made 3 new friends by the end of a 20 hour trip, I wouldn't say you aren't trying. Oh no, you're clearly comatose. ;)

... Just watch out for fat mustachioed shower curtain ring salesmen.

I don't mean to be leaving you with that description. I was just trying to give my opinion. Ask away. Also, if your son does want to enjoy this trip, make sure you point out to him that trains are different than planes in the level of passenger interaction. If you haven't made 3 new friends by the end of a 20 hour trip, I wouldn't say you aren't trying. Oh no, you're clearly comatose. ;)
At least he's not on the Texas Eagle as that passes within about a mile of the Braidwood Inn :)

At least he's not on the Texas Eagle as that passes within about a mile of the Braidwood Inn :)
... Does that even exist?

Do I sense a personal experience in that last sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back