Lake Shore Limited Business Class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They probably need to move business class out of the column where the sleepers are listed so people will see it.
Solution here.

Who other than the railfans knew the LSL had Business Class. Heck I was slight surprised by this tread. May have to turn in my "Foamers Card".
I had no clue until reading this thread. How long have they had a Business Class?

I had the impression that the Business Class was merely a side-effect of having to get rid of the diner cars, and replaced with the Dinettes.... which just so happen to come with a small business class section. So why not offer those for sale....
The Business Class has nothing to do with the Dinette. It is what used to be the full lounge car in the Boston section that has been replaced by a half lounge half BC. The Dinette is a substitute for the Dining Car in the New York section and will be replaced by a new Diner as soon as they become available.
It's been two years since I've been on the LSL. Going from CLE to CHI January 14th. There's no longer a Dining Car? Only the Dinette? Does that mean no more being able to have the SCA bring breakfast to your bedroom?

It's been two years since I've been on the LSL. Going from CLE to CHI January 14th. There's no longer a Dining Car? Only the Dinette? Does that mean no more being able to have the SCA bring breakfast to your bedroom?
SCA will still be able to bring breakfast to your bedroom.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the B/C offering started when the Boston section started joining again at Albany rather than being a stub. The split car was being used as a refuge for Boston sleeper passengers who moved to the sleeper at Albany since it was originating in NY. Now it is being sold from Boston to Chicago. The dinette is supposed to be temporary, regular diner service should return when enough VL2 diners are available.

SCA will still be able to bring breakfast to your bedroom.
If there's any breakfast. They ran out of EGGS on the last trip I was on.

So don't rely on it.

My favorite:

(To the table before you)

We have one of this left, a few of this, and a bunch of this.

What do you want?

(They pick the one you want, that there is only one left of)

Actually, when I couldn't eat wheat that happened to me. Person at my table got the last of the gluten free option, I tried to explain my situation but they wouldn't change their mind. I couldn't eat in the dining car for that meal. (Luckily the last meal)

Last edited by a moderator:
That unfortunately is true on most Amtrak LD trains. You cannot rely on them not running out of things. :(
How about steak, fish, baked potato, pecan toffee desert, omelet, and grits? And to add insult to injury, we were not allowed to order the burger (per the cook, according to the waitress), even though the menu says it can be ordered for dinner. At least, a consultation with the LSA did get us the burgers.

This was on #4 departing LAX Sunday Nov 27. The LAX commissary must have been closed or on strike; and they were using up inventory from the arriving #3. About all they had left for dinner was turkey and chicken. After 4 days of turkey, I had had it with poultry.

Does anyone have Wick Moorman's phone number, email, or postal mail address? Because the situation with the commissaries is getting ridiculous and really is the first thing he needs to address. Can't make money on food if you don't freaking STOCK it.

Does anyone have Wick Moorman's phone number, email, or postal mail address? Because the situation with the commissaries is getting ridiculous and really is the first thing he needs to address. Can't make money on food if you don't freaking STOCK it.
Obviously we should just show up at his house.

So, it's been over six months since this thread was started. Has anyone take Business Class on the LSL recently? How crowded was it?I am thinking of booking this from BUF to BOS next January. It's an all-daytime portion, and the cost seems quite reasonable for the quality of the seating.

I've been in this type of car before, when I booked sleeper from BOS to CHI, and there was a stub train to ALB.

I took it recently Buffalo - South Bend. It was a viable alternative to a sleeper when I couldn't get a roomette for a low enough price.

I had a whole row to myself and that was the norm. Honestly, if their web booking tool didn't absolutely hide the option from prospective customers they'd sell a lot more seats.

Back