Lake Shore Limited #48 Schedule Change?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the schedule changes has been discusses on a few other topics here.
Yup. It's been discussed for many days. But tonight is the first time I've seen anything official from Amtrak. The "Train Status" area was the first place that turned up anything different, strange as it was. The "Schedule" area hadn't changed.

I took the time to call Julie. After speaking with "Tiffany", Julie's agent, who also had to put me on hold in order to check with someone else (presumably her supervisor), I was told that there was a service disruption and a bus substitution, and the train 48 was listed on the Internet as train 1448, which did depart CHI at 9:00 PM. Interestingly, train 48, which was schedulede to arrive at ROC this morning hasn't arrived yet. Figure out all that double talk.

Since this situation doesn't impact my travel plans (until September) I'm simply left with the impression that when posting schedules and making reservations on the Internet, Amtrak's left hand doesn't know what its right hand is doing.

There IS just one other thing. Isn't Amtrak supposed to inform me of a change in schedule when I already have tickets in hand for the train involved?

I'm willing to bet that Amtrak does NOT inform me of this schedule change. I'll let you know if they get around to it before September.
same here i have tickets for this train in OCT and have not gotten a call or email.

Yup. It's been discussed for many days. But tonight is the first time I've seen anything official from Amtrak. The "Train Status" area was the first place that turned up anything different, strange as it was. The "Schedule" area hadn't changed.
Amtrak issued a press release on this a little over a week ago. And I believe that someone posted that press release in one of the topics here too.

Amtrak issued a press release on this a little over a week ago. And I believe that someone posted that press release in one of the topics here too.
Should I consider that "press release" to be my official notification by Amtrak for a change in my ticketed schedule?

I think that something more up-close and personal would be more appropriate.

Should I consider that "press release" to be my official notification by Amtrak for a change in my ticketed schedule?

No, you shouldn't consider that to be your official notification and wasn't suggesting that either.

You stated that you hadn't seen anything "official" period, you never personalized it. So I pointed out something official. :)

I'm sure that Amtrak will contact you to warn you about the change, they are actually pretty good at that. But they have to start with those who are riding in this month first and work their way through the list.

There IS just one other thing. Isn't Amtrak supposed to inform me of a change in schedule when I already have tickets in hand for the train involved?

I'm willing to bet that Amtrak does NOT inform me of this schedule change. I'll let you know if they get around to it before September.
same here i have tickets for this train in OCT and have not gotten a call or email.
I am on 48 at the end of June and received the call last week to inform me. They called me first about my AGR tickets for my wife and son, then the exact same lady called about a minute later to tell me about my other son and my purchased tickets. She offered and I accepted to e-mail me the updated itineraries.

So Thayer, you would probably lose that bet. ;)

I am on 48 at the end of June and received the call last week to inform me. They called me first about my AGR tickets for my wife and son, then the exact same lady called about a minute later to tell me about my other son and my purchased tickets. She offered and I accepted to e-mail me the updated itineraries.

she couldn't tell both of you at the same time.

she couldn't tell both of you at the same time.
Since they were two reservations, she was just going down the list. She realized I was the same person after I answered.

No, you shouldn't consider that to be your official notification and wasn't suggesting that either.

You stated that you hadn't seen anything "official" period, you never personalized it. So I pointed out something official. :)

I'm sure that Amtrak will contact you to warn you about the change, they are actually pretty good at that. But they have to start with those who are riding in this month first and work their way through the list.
I'm aware that Amtrak has to prioritize the order of contact. Being quite "down the list" (September) I don't excpect Amtrak to contact me "yesterday." :rolleyes:

What strikes me as interesting is the fact that in the three instances where there has been a change in my ticketed itinerary, I've found out about it ON THIS FORUM. That leaves me particularly impressed with this forum.

In this instance I'm going to set the time clock running and see how long it does take Amtrak to contact me about this change. They have three phone numbers, and one email address on file. As I've said before, this particular time change is really insignificant to me. It gives me one hour less to hang out at the Metropolitan Lounge in CHI.

Another post to follow...

I read somewhere, some time ago, that the LSL (#48) used to depart CHI at 9:00 PM, but Amtrak changed the CHI departure time to 10:00 PM because there were too many times people arriving on The Zephyr (#6) were missing the connection with # 48.

I have no clue how long ago that was, and I certainly don't know when #6 was scheduled into CHI back in the day.

The CZ (#6) is currently (keep "currently" in mind :D ) scheduled into CHI at 3:50 PM. Is there any chance of a habitual

mis-connect happening again? The current arrival times for the CZ (#6) certainly indicate that there is enough time to connect with a 9:00 PM departure time for 48.

I read somewhere, some time ago, that the LSL (#48) used to depart CHI at 9:00 PM, but Amtrak changed the CHI departure time to 10:00 PM because there were too many times people arriving on The Zephyr (#6) were missing the connection with # 48.

I have no clue how long ago that was, and I certainly don't know when #6 was scheduled into CHI back in the day.

The CZ (#6) is currently (keep "currently" in mind :D ) scheduled into CHI at 3:50 PM. Is there any chance of a habitual

mis-connect happening again? The current arrival times for the CZ (#6) certainly indicate that there is enough time to connect with a 9:00 PM departure time for 48.
Well as of late, the CZ has been doing well with on time performance. Not sure with moving the LSL back had much to do with but maybe some. I think it had more to do with getting to CLE at more decent time of 6 am instead of 3 am. Before I believe the LSL left about 7ish from Chicago.

Well as of late, the CZ has been doing well with on time performance. Not sure with moving the LSL back had much to do with but maybe some. I think it had more to do with getting to CLE at more decent time of 6 am instead of 3 am. Before I believe the LSL left about 7ish from Chicago.
Over the years the LSL used to leave at 7:00, 7:30, and even 7:45 IIRC, but I don't think that it ever left later than 7:45 PM, until the change a few years ago that moved it to 10:00 PM. I've been told that the change to 10 was two-fold, the first was because of the horrible lateness of the CZ a few years ago and all the resulting misconnects. The second was because of the down grading of the diner to a Diner-Lite car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back