LA Union Station Restaurant Space Lease

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leemell

Conductor
Metro is about to sign a lease with a local restauranteur to put in a new facility where the Union Bagel used to be. They also intend to lease the old Harvey House restaurant and the old ticketing area. The full report has the details.

My reading of the proposal is that is only about the old Union Bagel space. The mention of the Harvey House and the old ticket concourse just appears to be boilerplate essentially that they are Metro assets since the purchase, and they now have "opportunites." The "opportunies" listed basically cover the whole station, including both public and closed areas. Opening up the Harvey House and ticket concourse doesn't look to me like it is part of this transaction:

"With the acquisition of Union Station in 2011, MTA has new opportunities to enter into

longer-term, commercial/retail leases in the East Portal, Passenger Concourse,

Passenger Waiting Area, the Fred Harvey Restaurant space and the Ticket Concourse

areas of the Station. Additional opportunities will emerge as the Union Station Master

Plan moves into the development stage."

I didn't know "Union Bagel" closed.

I hope the Fred Harvey restaurant of even the old ticketing concourse could be made into a Metropolitan Lounge! But if the old ticketing concourse is indeed used as a ML, I would hope they could preserve and/or incorporate the ticketing windows into the design of the ML!

This is great news. They are obviously being tight lipped about who the new tenant will be... but it sounds like it will be a nice addition to the station.

LA Metro has been searching for a new full-time operator to take over the Harvey House restaurant since at least the beginning of this year but it will take someone special to make it work. From my understanding the new operator will need to have deep pockets because kitchen needs a complete remodel (if there is even still a kitchen) Metro also wants someone who is already a local restaurant operator and not another chain (as evidenced by this latest report.)

As far as the old ticketing area goes... it will be interesting to see what recommendations come out of the in-progress Union Station Master Plan. One part of me would love to see it return to use as a ticketing area for Amtrak and High Speed Rail (but that may not be practical considering the distances to the tracks.) But the other part of me realizes this could be very valuable commercial real estate that could add even more services to Union Station.

I didn't know "Union Bagel" closed.
I hope the Fred Harvey restaurant of even the old ticketing concourse could be made into a Metropolitan Lounge! But if the old ticketing concourse is indeed used as a ML, I would hope they could preserve and/or incorporate the ticketing windows into the design of the ML!
If they do turn that area into a Lounge I hope they keep the Spanish-Deco theme in the design and even restore the ticket windows to what they would have looked like during the Halcyon days, complete with signage, timetables and such. Of course that would make them into more of a museum and a well designed barrier would be needed to keep them protected. That station is far too classic to be modernized.

From an earlier thread it appears that the new Metropolitan Lounge will be constructed will be built in a "less inspired" area of Union Station.

It sounded like the lounge would be built in some of the space that Amtrak already leases (probably to avoid paying more, and conflicting with the Union Station Master Plan.) If I understand correctly... there's a bit of space behind the current ticket counter and a lot of space on the second floor (in a large baggage sorting room.)

I remember a white linen restaurant in Union Station, TRAXX. Is that still there? Amtrak used the bar for a waiting area for the Coast Starlight. Just wondered as I do not remember Union Bagel Shop. I love the outdoor waiting plaza.

[snip]
LA Metro has been searching for a new full-time operator to take over the Harvey House restaurant since at least the beginning of this year but it will take someone special to make it work. From my understanding the new operator will need to have deep pockets because kitchen needs a complete remodel (if there is even still a kitchen) Metro also wants someone who is already a local restaurant operator and not another chain (as evidenced by this latest report.)

[snip]
It appears that the kitchen still works as I saw a party/banquet being prepared (with some cooking) in there about a year ago.

This is potentially very interesting.

I hope it comes to fruition and that the local, experienced, and non-chain goals remain intact.

Currently my desire to arrive or connect in LA is substantially hindered due to the current schedule, but the station itself is lovely.

[snip]

[snip]
It appears that the kitchen still works as I saw a party/banquet being prepared (with some cooking) in there about a year ago.
I talked awhile ago with someone who is familiar with the status of the Harvey House and brought up the same thing, that food was being prepared for events there. He said they can't use the existing facilities, per se, but caterers can and do bring their own equipment into the old kitchen to cook for events. The kitchen space is apparently huge, but any remaining old equipment pretty much has to be replaced and the kitchen remodeled to meet current standards for a permanent restaurant. It was built in 1939 and has been closed as an operating restaurant since 1967 or 68.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen first time restaurant operators secure surprisingly large loans for commercial kitchen hardware.

An experienced operator should have little or no problem securing financing for a new kitchen if the business plan adds up.

I've seen first time restaurant operators secure surprisingly large loans for commercial kitchen hardware.
An experienced operator should have little or no problem securing financing for a new kitchen if the business plan adds up.
Completely agree with that. Up until recently the hold up really was the former owner, Catellus (the corporate decendent of the Santa Fe Land company, who got the other two RR's interest in the station in a long story). Catellus didn't seem to want to put anyone in the Harvey House, or the Ticket Concourse for that matter. Since the acquisition of the station by Metro fairly recently, things have been moving.

It would still be an expensive operation, and I think it may still take awhile to get an interested and qualified operator, but I do think we will see that restaurant reopen someday fairly soon now. Fairly soon being relative, given it's been closed for 46 years, considerably longer than the 28 years it was open. Find it hard to believe it is at least a possiblity now, I was certain it would never reopen. I was delighted 2 years ago when I took the LA Conservancy tour when I was back down in Southern Cal, and I actually got to go into the Harvey House instead of just peering through the window (which was also blacked out for years, though not recently).

I still have a certain amount of resentment, because as a kid we were at Union Station quite a bit, usually picking up or dropping off family members. I asked to eat there, but my parents always said the Harvey House was too expensive, and we never did...sigh. It closed when I was 12.

[snip]

[snip]
I talked awhile ago with someone who is familiar with the status of the Harvey House and brought up the same thing, that food was being prepared for events there. He said they can't use the existing facilities, per se, but caterers can and do bring their own equipment into the old kitchen to cook for events. The kitchen space is apparently huge, but any remaining old equipment pretty much has to be replaced and the kitchen remodeled to meet current standards for a permanent restaurant. It was built in 1939 and has been closed as an operating restaurant since 1967 or 68.
Kind of unrelated, but there was a restaurant in Old Sacramento across from the California State Railroad Museum that apprpriated the "Harvey House" name. They weren't around long, but I remember seeing the servers on their outside seating in their "Harvey Girl" uniforms. I visit the Railroad Museum quite often (kid absolutely loves the place) and once saw a special Groupon-like deal on the Sacramento Bee website. They also had deals via Living Social. I actually missed buying it, but the restaurant went belly up within months.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/harvey-house-sacramento-2

Someone posted a photo on Yelp of one of their waitresses in front of the museum:

l.jpg

OMG, What is the movie industry going to do? LAUS was/is used almost weekly in some movie or commercial,

Aloha

OMG, What is the movie industry going to do? LAUS was/is used almost weekly in some movie or commercial,
Pretty sure they'll be able to deal with the situation.

At present, even with the Harvey House and the ticketing concourse vacant, it seems like it's the waiting room that's used for filming most often.

Entering from the front Alameda side the old ticketing office is near the entrance to the left. The old Harvey House Restaurant is to the right, outside and across the breezeway. Just exit via the Traxx bar area.

Very exciting to think we may get a restaurant there and even more exciting to think of a Metropolitan lounge.

The L.A. Conservancy has periodic tours of Union Station -- well worth taking. Among the highlights of the tour are visiting the restrooms in both the Harvey House and the ticketing area, and the bar/lounge in the Harvey House. Amazing art deco.

The L.A. Conservancy has periodic tours of Union Station -- well worth taking. Among the highlights of the tour are visiting the restrooms in both the Harvey House and the ticketing area, and the bar/lounge in the Harvey House. Amazing art deco.
I know Mary Colter's work at the Grand Canyon South Rim, including the Desert View Watchtower, Hermit's Rest, Hopi House, and Bright Angel Lodge and Cabins.

I don't think she had a signature style per se. She simply did things that seemed pleasing to herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back