Kingman Parking

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The area around the old station is pretty desolate late at night and there is no agent at Kingman. :unsure:

If I were leaving from Las Vegas I would take the Amtrak Bus and arrive at Kingman at the arrival time for the westbound SW Chief. :eek:

The waiting room that we stayed in was a bit nasty as well. :unsure: It is across the street from the tracks and old station and the train crew--conductor will lead you across when the SWC arrives. The train crew changes there and there is a shuttle that takes them to their motel room in Kingman.

We stayed at the Quality Inn which is where the crew stayed and the hotel has a shuttle that will take you and the crew down to the station to catch the train. Might be able to arrange to leave your car at the motel if you stayed a night there :unsure:

Thanks for the info.

If I were leaving from Las Vegas I would take the Amtrak Bus and arrive at Kingman at the arrival time for the westbound SW Chief. :eek:
The trouble is, if I understand the timetable correctly, the bus to Las Vegas is oriented toward picking up and dropping off passengers from the east, but it isn't timed well for someone traveling west.

The trouble is, if I understand the timetable correctly, the bus to Las Vegas is oriented toward picking up and dropping off passengers from the east, but it isn't timed well for someone traveling west.
That is correct. The westbound train departs before the eastbound and shuttle arrives. When the shuttle ran to Needles, it was easier to do. (I did it!)

As much as I hate to suggest it, from Vegas I would take the Thruway bus to LAX to connect to the Surfliner!

I took the thruway from Vegas to Kingman last summer, the area the station is in is a ghost town that late at night. There were a few bars still open and we saw a police car driving around. I would not worry about parking my car there, especially if you have comprehensive insurance. As long as the inside is empty, no reason for anyone to break into it. If your still worried, call the local police station and ask them if it is safe to park there, you could probably request a nightly drive by.

When I moved to Vegas in 2008, I drove through Kingman on the way so I could get a sense of the station and the parking (thinking I might have time to take the SWC occasionally). The station does have a small dedicated parking lot, but I had a hard time finding locals even in the afternoon to talk to about general safety of the area! It seemed as close to a ghost town as you can get for a still-inhabited town, which on the one hand suggests perhaps there's nobody around to break into your car but on the other hand suggests there's definitely nobody to see it if somebody does.

But I think I got a non-representative sense of the town -- the area right by the tracks is not really bustling, but there's a lot more to town than that. Before the Vegas housing crash, Kingman was seen as a source of cheap real estate for service-sector folks employed in Vegas, and Kingman was projected to go through some major growth. I wonder if that's no longer the case now that a sizable fraction of Vegas homes are foreclosed and abandoned.

I never had the time to get down to Kingman for Amtrak, as it turned out, so I never really had to decide whether I'd do it or not.

If you do drive into town, go early -- if I recall correctly, Kingman is the town with a large Santa Fe steam locomotive on display in a public park. It was a ways from the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back