Keystone Wires Cut

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't thing he was saying it can't be recycled. He just says it "has no real scrap value". I interpret this as meaning you may get much less per pound but still get something. It would still be cheaper to recycle and even get nothing than paying to dump it in a landfill.

I don't thing he was saying it can't be recycled. He just says it "has no real scrap value". I interpret this as meaning you may get much less per pound but still get something. It would still be cheaper to recycle and even get nothing than paying to dump it in a landfill.
For something to have scrap value, you have to be able to offload it easily. It would be kind of interesting trying to explain to anyone why and how you managed to chance upon an incredible length of cable of esoteric material, which is used only by power companies and railroads. So instead of getting value one is likely to land up in prison.

That is not to say that there are no metallurgical processes in existence to separate the metals and recycle them.

That is not to say that there are no metallurgical processes in existence to separate the metals and recycle them.
The whole point of recycling is to keep resource use up and energy use down. Complex energy-intensive processes required to separate metallic bonds runs completely counter to the whole idea. The fact is that recycling is considered a threat by the manufacturer and they make it clear they've done as much as they can to make recycling as difficult and fruitless as possible.

The whole point of recycling is to keep resource use up and energy use down. Complex energy-intensive processes required to separate metallic bonds runs completely counter to the whole idea. The fact is that recycling is considered a threat by the manufacturer and they make it clear they've done as much as they can to make recycling as difficult and fruitless as possible.
Yes, recycling cost will be more than if pure metal were used. However, this is not a manufacturer issue. It is an issue primarily focused on dealing with premature recycling of materials by unscrupulous operator causing great deal of disruption in lives of normal people. These solutions were developed to deal with a real socio-technical problem that exists in many parts of the world.

Why is it that your knee jerk reaction always is to go on a rant about large companies without caring to understand the whole issue at hand? Yes, they have their peculiar attitudes. But what do you want done to deal with the issue of wire theft? Just keep buying more wires and install them as they get stolen and let the customers take the lumps for the service outage? Or hire enough guards to line all tracks with security guards perhaps? That way you could then rant about the wastage of recycling cables too soon and wasting taxpayer money on security guards or some such ;)

Which manufacturer is making recycling "as difficult and fruitless as possible?"

Why is it that your knee jerk reaction always is to go on a rant about large companies without caring to understand the whole issue at hand?
I was simply reading from the maker's own documents. As for knee-jerk, you must mean this...

What do you want done to deal with the issue of wire theft? Just keep buying more wires and install them as they get stolen and let the customers take the lumps for the service outage? Or hire enough guards to line all tracks with security guards perhaps?
Thanks for showing us how it's done, in the exact same post no less. Frankly, I'd want better regulation of recyclers. I'm tired of reading stories about how they'll accept virtually anything despite all signs contrary to legitimate acquisition. That might have even more impact on theft than creating a bunch of difficult to recycle mixed metals.

My point was that when it wears out it doesn't mean it will end up in a landfill.

My point was that when it wears out it doesn't mean it will end up in a landfill.
Exactly. And layered materials with very different melting points and other properties are not that hard to separate for recycling with proper equipment either. But why stop when you have a good opportunity to rant about a favorite hobby horse? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. And layered materials with very different melting points and other properties are not that hard to separate for recycling with proper equipment either. But why stop when you have a good opportunity to rant about a favorite hobby horse? ;)
Wire is all recycled, from the really valuable stuff like copper, to the less valuable stuff like galvanized steel Wire recycling has been the norm since way before recycling became trendy.

Bimetallic wires serve engineering purposes besides just theft deterrence. It is a way to put the costly conductive materials on the outside of the wire where it is most useful, and put less costly but stronger material on the inside of the wire where it does the most good. The fact that it may keep the local scumbags from stealing it and creating operation disruptions and costly repairs is just a plus.

Texas Sunset makes a great point about the scrap yards being as or even more culpable that the thief. Somebody drives into a scrap yard with a pickup filled with copper wire, and the yard buys that wire no questions asked. They know the stuff is stolen, they just don't care. If copper thieves had no place to sell the copper, things would change.

Texas Sunset makes a great point about the scrap yards being as or even more culpable that the thief. Somebody drives into a scrap yard with a pickup filled with copper wire, and the yard buys that wire no questions asked. They know the stuff is stolen, they just don't care. If copper thieves had no place to sell the copper, things would change.
Yup, it is necessary to enforce rules on scrap yards. Somehow they managed to pull that off in the seemingly more anarchic India. But the net result was that the organized crime outfits setup their own melting operations to produce metal ingots, and this in a country where you needed a permit to do almost anything. The trick was to keep the individual operations small enough to pass just under the radar of the regulators. Amazing how co-evolution takes place between law enforcement and law breakers.

Thanks for showing us how it's done, in the exact same post no less. Frankly, I'd want better regulation of recyclers. I'm tired of reading stories about how they'll accept virtually anything despite all signs contrary to legitimate acquisition. That might have even more impact on theft than creating a bunch of difficult to recycle mixed metals.
INDEED! If scrap metal buyers, some of whom appear to have no qualms about buying anything, were required to keep records of what and from whom they bought we would be well on the way to solving this problem. If there's less of a market for stolen wire (or manholes or drain grates or statuary or whatever) there would be less of an incentive to steal it. These would not be onerous "Job Killing" regulations, the pawn industry is regulated much like this and seems to be flourishing these days.

I never meant to cast aspersions on anybody or any region.

I took some scrap copper and aluminumn wire, aluminum canopy, and some copper pipes to a scrap dealer last year. When he put it on the scale, the scale also took a picture of the stuff. In addition, he entered my name and driver's license into the record. He told me this was to keep people coming in honest. He told me that he gets at least one request a day fo somebody looking for _______ that was just stolen and was wondering if they had it. I also had to sign the receipt that stated I was the owner of the property and that it was not stolen or taken illegally. I am not sure why all scarp dealers couldn't do this.

I took some scrap copper and aluminumn wire, aluminum canopy, and some copper pipes to a scrap dealer last year. When he put it on the scale, the scale also took a picture of the stuff. In addition, he entered my name and driver's license into the record. He told me this was to keep people coming in honest. He told me that he gets at least one request a day fo somebody looking for _______ that was just stolen and was wondering if they had it. I also had to sign the receipt that stated I was the owner of the property and that it was not stolen or taken illegally. I am not sure why all scarp dealers couldn't do this.
I am sure many - maybe the majority - do. We take a lot of scrap metal of all kinds to dealers and they indeed check the legitimacy of its origin, we sign papers and are paid by check, etc. The guys breaking into summer homes and ripping out all the copper are not selling too much of it around here any more. But it is much easier to lump them all together into one bunch of idiots to criticize - kinda like truck drivers, or lead service attendants, fill in the blanks for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back