Keeping kids occupied.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sis

Train Attendant
I'm traveling with my grandchildren ages 10 and 8. The 8yo boy is rather ... busy. He has plenty of energy and curiosity and I'm a little worried about keeping up with him. Of course I don't want him bothering passengers and I can't let him run the length of the train.

They do like board games - cribbage, yahtzee, farkle - all easy to take. I plan to take a classic book for both of them to read during quiet times. What else will they do during the 3 day trip?

If you sit in the lounge car with the games, I'm sure they'll have fun looking at the scenery while playing.

You could even come up with a type of scavenger hunt of sorts where they get to spot things in the scenery - a red barn, a blue truck, kids on bikes, cows, etc. You could make it train-wide as well, including things like a passenger in a pink shirt or a passenger wearing a Chicago Cubs hat, things like that.

Most kids I've seen do really well on the train, even if they're normally the type to get bored and run around. Because the train is constantly moving and there are so many new things to see, even the most hyper kids tend to end up glued to the windows. The train is such a neat, new adventure that it's not like the typical "sit still" scenarios, and it's a million times better than sitting in a car. I tend to get super bored after a half-hour in the car, but I never feel bored on the train (unless it's a route I've been on a million times, but even then, it's still more fun than being in a car).

Without knowing their interests, perhaps sketch pads and pencils, small non-messy crafts (like friendship bracelets or hemp bracelets? Are those still "cool"?) Travel journals or small Polaroid or cheap digital cameras so they can document the trip themselves?

Have them play "I spy with my little eye: a UP switcher; a BNSF road unit; a CP helper; a CSX low hood; a Norfolk Southern high hood; a ..."

Sorry, I don't even know what ANY of these are so I'm sure the kids won't!!! LOL (UP switcher; BNSF road unit; CP helper; CSX low hood" Norfolk Southern high hood). ??? But I spy is a great idea. :)

Sorry, I don't even know what ANY of these are so I'm sure the kids won't!!! LOL (UP switcher; BNSF road unit; CP helper; CSX low hood" Norfolk Southern high hood). ??? But I spy is a great idea. :)
They're types of freight engines. ;) I would not recognize the specific kinds of engines when I'd see them.

I have taken two of my grandchildren, 9 and 15. they had a couple books, coloring books of the advanced version with a 100 color pencil set, iPod music with ear buds, several games we could all play in the SSL. I also prepared a schedule so they could write the arrival and depart times, then calculate the minutes early or late. they also made notes of special things they saw which we discussed later. we traveled SAS-CHI and CHI-SAS. I prepared a powerpoint presentation a couple weeks before we left so they knew what to expect, safety rules, fun of sleeping on the train, eating in the DC, seeing sights in the SSL, getting snack in the SSL (though we brought some, I knew they would enjoy saying they bought on the train). we walked to the rear car to walk out the back several times. when possible, we got off to stretch our legs. they never got bored and are begging to go again.

Walked "out the back"???
I'm think he meant "looked", not walk.The last car has a railfan window - the window on the door that would lead to the next car if there was another car. If the last car is a coach car, anyone can go check it out. If it's a sleeper, then only sleeper passengers can enter that car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back