Kansas DOT to release route study Thursday

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I missing something? Why does Alternative 1 (extending the Heartland Flyer from Oklahoma City north to Newton, keeping the same schedule Fort Worth-Oklahoma City) require new/additional equipment? Wouldn't the existing equipment from the Heartland Flyer suffice? The proposed schedule shows the northbound train arriving at Newton at 1am-ish and the southbound train departing Newton at 4am-ish.

Those costs look awfully high for just two measly passenger trains a day. I'm sure BNSF is licking their chops...they might get some upgraded track out of this while only having to deal with one extra train a day in each direction.

One thing i notice, Kansas is not going to pay for a night train through its state. So, alternatives 1 and 2 are probably out. That leaves alternatives 3&4, and I like alternative 3 best because it goes all the way down the Ft. Worth, where it is easy to get to Dallas. That's my 2 cents.

Here is a link to the one page route map that summarizes it really well:

http://www.ksdot.org/PDF_Files/Amtrak-Final.pdf

I really hope they go for Alt 3, full new train from Ft. Worth to KC. I am not counting on KS though, so I would be really happy even if they only did Alt 1, especially now that the KC to OKC thruway is no longer an option.

i was at the press conference today and in a meeting later with amtrak and KDOT. there is a lot of momentum behind alternative 3 due to the unexpectedly high ridership. the high capital cost ($479m) is due to a lot of double-tracking to obtain "100% OTP" and full 79 mph service. amtrak doesn't appear to be interested in starting any new services that aren't competitive with auto travel.

once kansas figures out how much oklahoma and texas will chip in, they'll apply for federal funding (80%?) and then their actual cost won't be nearly that high. both of those states will gain a lot from an additional train, especially since their portions are part of a federally-designated HSR route.

I'd like a full route from KC to Ft. Worth but my biggest issue with the way its set up is the wait until the next day for connections. I would use it to connect to the Texas Eagle.

Kansas is broke. They are hurting so bad they are considering a "sugar tax" on soft drinks along with other drastic measures to raise funds. I wonder how much this is going to impact or "delay" any new service.

3-5 years is the unofficial expectation. all states are broke right now. amtrak was quick to point out that they haven't lost a state-sponsored train (yet). the operating expenses will be the big question here (capital will have a federal match and be split between three states), and that money won't be needed until the economy has bounced back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back