Kansas City to Orlando

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ciship

A week from today I will be on our trip from KC to Orlando. Hoping the trains run on time at least on the way down there. Taking the SWC/CL/SM. I have always been on superliners. This will be my first experience on a viewliner. Will be in sleepers all the way down and back. Excited!

Have fun in Orlando. Will you be going to Disney or will you be doing "non-tourist" stuff?

Have fun in Orlando. Will you be going to Disney or will you be doing "non-tourist" stuff?
Is there "non-tourist" stuff in Orlando? :p
I do it every day. Go to work, go to the grocery store, etc. :lol: I guess that would not be a lot of fun while on vacation. We do have State Parks and a zoo in the area that are not in the "tourist areas."

Also, for the last month or so, the biggest "tourist" attraction was at the Orange County Courthouse (which is walking distance from my condo) because of the Anthony trial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, we are arriving in Orlando, but driving over to Tampa for a cruise. We are being picked up by friends in Orlando to take us to Tampa, so that is why I don't want the train to be too late. Coming back, it can be as late as it wants.

I'm looking forward to exploring at our stops in Chicago and Washington D.C. Any recommendations on where to go/eat/see in our 4 hour or so layovers? I will have my teenage son and daughter with me.

Ha! When I used to work for the Mouse and lived in Kissimmee, I wanted a bumper sticker soooo bad that said "NO! I AM NOT A TOURIST!"

Ride the Jungle Cruise. It will make me very happy.

Ha! When I used to work for the Mouse and lived in Kissimmee, I wanted a bumper sticker soooo bad that said "NO! I AM NOT A TOURIST!"

Ride the Jungle Cruise. It will make me very happy.
My daughter did an internship there in the fall of 2009. She's living in Utah now, but hopes maybe someday working for the Mouse again.

Other daughter and future son-in-law went down with me to visit with her just before Thanksgiving and enjoyed the perks of "employee discounts". And since people had given us money when my husband died a few months earlier (though the 1st "gift" was before his death), we didn't pay a dime for the whole trip.

That was the 2nd time we'd been down to Orlando area for "free" (though I think I spent around $10 - food at airports - the other time).

Actually, we are arriving in Orlando, but driving over to Tampa for a cruise. We are being picked up by friends in Orlando to take us to Tampa, so that is why I don't want the train to be too late. Coming back, it can be as late as it wants.

I'm looking forward to exploring at our stops in Chicago and Washington D.C. Any recommendations on where to go/eat/see in our 4 hour or so layovers? I will have my teenage son and daughter with me.

Don't forget to use the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago and the Clubacela in DC! Just show your Sleeper tickets to gain access.
Will they hold our luggage for us while we explore?
Yes. In Chicago, after you check in at the front desk, right behind you is a room manned by a Redcap. Give him your bags and he'll give you a claim ticket for them. The front desk will also give you a card to flash at the attendant upon your return. They'll note on that card what time you should be back in the lounge by so as to ensure that your there for the early boarding. I would reclaim your bags by that same time.

In DC, the room is behind the checkin desk. Unlike Chicago, it is not manned. So don't leave anything like money or small electronics in your luggage.

Is there "non-tourist" stuff in Orlando? :p
I do it every day. Go to work, go to the grocery store, etc. :lol: I guess that would not be a lot of fun while on vacation. We do have State Parks and a zoo in the area that are not in the "tourist areas."

Also, for the last month or so, the biggest "tourist" attraction was at the Orange County Courthouse (which is walking distance from my condo) because of the Anthony trial.
In other words, if you want to do non-tourist stuff, just stalk Penny all day. Maybe she'll let you push the shopping cart....

In DC, the very best thing I have ever done with a 4 hour layover was go see the Viet Nam Memorial Wall. I found the names of a number of my old friends. Many, many thanks to my daughter, who was 13 at the time, for thinking of it. We took a cab, it was only about $5. A most meaningful experience.

In DC, the very best thing I have ever done with a 4 hour layover was go see the Viet Nam Memorial Wall. I found the names of a number of my old friends. Many, many thanks to my daughter, who was 13 at the time, for thinking of it. We took a cab, it was only about $5. A most meaningful experience.
This is exactly what I want to do as well. My oldest brother was in the Vietnam war......inlisted days after his graduation at 17 years old back in 1970.

In D.C. you are walking distance to the eastern section of the Mall--Botanical Gardens were a new one for us on our last trip--American Indian Museum and Air and Space Museum all on the south side. National Gallery of Art on the north side- Postal Museum across the street from the depot.

Metro Red Line is just outside the Union Station and you can go most anywhere in a short time from there.

Have fun on your trip :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back