Just got a call from Amtrak about Cardinal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hello everyone,

I am leaving on Monday morning at 1:23 am however I got a call today from cardinal about my train being transfered to a bus?? Is this like a greyhound bus? Does anyone have any information about the changes and this type of transportation..Thank you

Probably a chartered Greyhound but it might be another bus. I guess you got to hope that it's one of the refurbished Greyhounds with extra legroom instead of unrefurbished ones.

Thanks everyone. :) Today was a crazy day, first I got the phone call saying its going to be by bus then an hour later i get a email saying that it's cancelled with no alternative transperation options. So after two phone calls I find out I am taking the bus both there and then when I leave on Thursday. They couldn;t tell me what type of bus if its a charter or a greyhound or even if they are going to have enough buses to do one trip or to take one group then come back and take another, or if they will have restrooms on the bus or really any information lol. The only thing they could tell me that they knew was that we are on the list of bused people and we should be appreciative cause I guess others are being told they will have to find alternative routes and change of dates and that there is no price difference in the bus vs train and it's departing from the same location and time. This trip is going to be very interesting lol, I am kinda sad though cause I truely was looking forward to my first train ride but eh, things happen. :) plus this gives me another reason to go on another trip ^_^ .

Is anyone else experiencing this? Or has in the past?

and it's always time for cupcakes :) Texas Sunset.

Swadian Hardcore- I really hope so lol otherwise my bf will be so uncomfortable XD he has long legs wont bother me much though since I use his lap as a leg rest :D

Hey Rainbow. A couple of comments... Don't look at Greyhound as a bus - they are a service provider who can provide service on various different types of equipment. Two things you can be sure of: no guarantees on the type of equipment being provided no matter who the service provider is, and the bus should only have displaced Amtrak riders on board.

Now, with all that said, have you checked with The Dog to see if you can book directly with them? If so, you may be able to get the ride cheaper by canceling Amtrak and going direct with Greyhound. Don't know where you are or where you are going, but it may be worth a check. Unless the price is a huge difference, don't worry about changing - you'll probably be in better company AND you'll get your AGR points if you stick with Amtrak's plan for you.

And you also nailed the convenience factor. "Bustitution" will pick up and drop off at train stations, not bus depots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Swadian Hardcore- I really hope so lol otherwise my bf will be so uncomfortable XD he has long legs wont bother me much though since I use his lap as a leg rest :D
Now, with all that said, have you checked with The Dog to see if you can book directly with them? If so, you may be able to get the ride cheaper by canceling Amtrak and going direct with Greyhound. Don't know where you are or where you are going, but it may be worth a check. Unless the price is a huge difference, don't worry about changing - you'll probably be in better company AND you'll get your AGR points if you stick with Amtrak's plan for you.

And you also nailed the convenience factor. "Bustitution" will pick up and drop off at train stations, not bus depots.
I think you should try this, too. I think that charter buses don't have much of a difference at all vs. Greyhound, after all, they're both coaches. I also hope you are in the AGR program, it never hurts to get some points.

As far as the bus goes, I think the Old Greyhound has 3'' less legroom then the New Greyhound. Don't know about charters.

Hey Rainbow. A couple of comments... Don't look at Greyhound as a bus - they are a service provider who can provide service on various different types of equipment. Two things you can be sure of: no guarantees on the type of equipment being provided no matter who the service provider is, and the bus should only have displaced Amtrak riders on board.

Thank you for the information :) I didn't even think of checking with greyhound to see if it would be cheaper., I think right now I will just take my points and that it will drop us off at the station since we are depending on taxis for our mode of transportation.

I think you should try this, too. I think that charter buses don't have much of a difference at all vs. Greyhound, after all, they're both coaches. I also hope you are in the AGR program, it never hurts to get some points.

As far as the bus goes, I think the Old Greyhound has 3'' less legroom then the New Greyhound. Don't know about charters.

Yes I am in the points program :) i signed up soon as i made my reservations. The only thing I really hope for is that whatever amtrak decided on to transport us it's nice and comfortable, I can deal with a little bit of being squished so can my bf since it's not that great of a distance.

which I would think it would be a shorter arrival time since we are going by bus. instead of the qouted 4 hours. CIncinnati to Indianapolis is really only a 2 and a half 3 hour drive if that.

1:23 departure would be Cincinnati, I am guessing Chicago as a destination. Have you checked Megabus to possibly save some money and get a better schedule?

1:23 departure would be Cincinnati, I am guessing Chicago as a destination. Have you checked Megabus to possibly save some money and get a better schedule?
Correct on CIncinnati but with Indianapolis as a destination, and I think after calling amtrak several times in the last twenty four hours and searching the web for information I think I am going to just stick with whatever amtrak throws my way lol least i can get my points and arrive in the same location I need to be. I wish though I was given more warning but I do understand they are in a situation that they dont know everything until that schedule comes up. If I had more time I probably would have looked at other options though. I just am hoping everything runs smoothly and I will have more information come my depature time. lol.

Has this happened before with amtrak before? using buses vs train due to whatever reason?

Just it seems like they are completely unprepared and there is a lot of information that they cant provide.

RE THE BUSES: Here is my advice, for whatever it is worth: when Amtrak has to cancel a train, and they CHARTER a bus, the charter is better than regular Greyhound service. It may be a charter bus company and not Greyhound; furthermore, you will be with the people that were booked for the train, not the general bus rider population.

Stick with the charter if they run it. I had to be bussed on a charter from Jackson, Ms to Memphis a few years ago due to a freight train collision. Much better on charter than scheduled Greyhound!

Megabus? I boycott this poor excuse for a company that has the gall to stop outside Chicago's Amtrak Union Station without having their own waiting room. That company doesn't pay Amtrak a penny for "using" Chicago Union Station. To top it off, their safety record is bad too.

Just my two cents worth!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back