just curious...trains and lost phones

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdcnosse

Lead Service Attendant
Is there some massive lost and found bin for Amtrak for all the phones left on trains? lol I left mine accidentally on the 364 yesterday after getting off at KAL, so it's pretty much a goner, but I thought it'd be funny if there was some big box somewhere they just throw all the phones in that the service crew finds on the trains...

If you haven't already, call Amtrak and ask for Customer Relations. Ask them if anyone happen to turn-in your phone.

There is a central lost-and-found, but I don't think they sort by type of article (ie, a box specifically for phones).

Is there some massive lost and found bin for Amtrak for all the phones left on trains? lol I left mine accidentally on the 364 yesterday after getting off at KAL, so it's pretty much a goner, but I thought it'd be funny if there was some big box somewhere they just throw all the phones in that the service crew finds on the trains...
From Amtrak's web site:

Lost Items

Reports for lost or misplaced items left on trains or in stations must be submitted within 30 days of travel. For best results, submit your report at your arrival station; otherwise call Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

When reporting a lost item, please have the following information ready:

• A thorough description of the lost item, including a description of the size, color, brand, condition, and any other distinguishing features.
  • Your date or dates of travel.
  • Your departure and arrival stations.
  • Your train names and numbers.
Please note that Amtrak is not liable for lost or misplaced items.

Did you try calling your phone?

You may be lucky and the person who

answers the phone will return it to you.

Did you have your home (land line) phone

number in your address book?

Good Luck.

Since 364 terminates in PTH, if the phone was found and turned in by either train or cleaning crew, it would have been given to Ticket Agent there. If you can find a direct # for the station, that would be best approach to take...

If you have service from Sprint, activate the "family locator". It is free for 30 days, and if the phone is on, you get the location.

Yes there is. It is called eBay.

I remember an announcement by a flight attendant on Southwest- "Please check around your seat for your belongings. If you leave something behind, you can find it on eBay tomorrow!"
mosking.gif

My boss left her iPhone on a Southbound Pacific Surfliner. The cleaning crew gave it to the ticket booth at the station in San Diego where she was able to pick it up several hours later.

From Amtrak's web site:

Lost Items

Reports for lost or misplaced items left on trains or in stations must be submitted within 30 days of travel. For best results, submit your report at your arrival station; otherwise call Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

When reporting a lost item, please have the following information ready:

• A thorough description of the lost item, including a description of the size, color, brand, condition, and any other distinguishing features.
  • Your date or dates of travel.
  • Your departure and arrival stations.
  • Your train names and numbers.
Please note that Amtrak is not liable for lost or misplaced items.
Actually I did submit the report in KAL nearly just after I got off the train and he took my information down. Calling my phone multiple times didn't work.

UPDATE: They found my phone. Funny story though. My girlfriend got the call (voicemail actually) and they used her name in referencing the phone. Her voicemail doesn't say her name, and I didn't give any info about her to the ticket agent at KAL (just my name, my home phone, my cell phone, etc)

However, since it is an android phone, I do have on my lockscreen a note that says to call (xxx) xxx-xxxx if found, and that is my girlfriend's number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you found your phone. I have heard that we should have an ICE entry

on our phone book (In Case of Emergency) number to call if the phone is found.

Yes, I had one of those on my old phone, but not this one.

However I figured out how they knew my girlfriend's name and number...since we used her phone to call it multiple times...they probably just called her back lol

I am not sure if they'd need her to pick it up or if I provide a good enough description if I can pick it up (since it is my phone)

Glad you found your phone. I have heard that we should have an ICE entry

on our phone book (In Case of Emergency) number to call if the phone is found.
Some phones (like my old LG) had an ICE that was enabled when the phone was locked. For my new smartphone, I found an App called ICE but I am not sure how well it will work. One suggestion - use a custom wallpaper Pic on your smartphone with text added that says something like "If found, call ...". That's what I am doing as the PIN lock feature lets you see the pic in the background. I used a pic of myself so if the phone was found, someone might recognize my picture and know it was mine.

So glad they found your phone! Now THAT is a christmas miracle. :)
It could have something to do with me noticing I left it on there basically just after the train left KAL.

If I hadn't needed directions (to know which street to get on to go north out of KAL and get back home) then I wouldn't have even looked for my phone on me until I got back home.

Found out why they had called my girlfriend too about the phone. I apparently gave them her ticket stub. lol

I am glad you got your phone back! I left mine in my sleeper on the Cap Ltd coming into Pittsburgh, reported it and did get it back as well--however, someone had stolen the photo card. My bad, but at least I got the phone back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back