Just an Idea...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GP35

Lead Service Attendant
Ofcourse I know it would never happen.

Move the transition sleeper to the back of the Sunset, then run a few coaches off the Crecent to LA. The sameway its done with the Eagle.

Then we have a New York to LA train. Look at the stops this train would make. New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Charlotte, Atlanta, Birmingham, New Orleans,

Beaumont, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso, Tucson, Phoenix..sorta, LA....

And if you thought the Sunset East arrived late into ORL, what do you think would happen by the time it gets to NYP? :eek:
Sunset arrives in NOL at 4pm, if on time, Crescent leaves at 7am. Crescent Arrives in NOL at 7pm, Sunset leaves at 12pm.

I call that a big cushion. Amtrak should advertise the cushion as a night in the Big Easy....

Ofcourse I know it would never happen.
Move the transition sleeper to the back of the Sunset, then run a few coaches off the Crecent to LA. The sameway its done with the Eagle.

Then we have a New York to LA train. Look at the stops this train would make. New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Charlotte, Atlanta, Birmingham, New Orleans,

Beaumont, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso, Tucson, Phoenix..sorta, LA....
Actually this has been done many times back through the years, both as Amtrak and before Amtrak. At least back to the 40's and who knows how much longer before that.

The service has had different formats. It has always, so far as I know, been a sleeper, never a coach.

It has come from New York, it has come from Washington, it has come from Boston at various times through the years.

Sometimes it has been daily, sometimes it has been, say, three days a week.

Often it has involved a full nights stay in New Orleans using the sleeper as a hotel but even that has varied as schedules have flipp flopped all through the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually this has been done many times back through the years, both as Amtrak and before Amtrak. At least back to the 40's and who knows how much longer before that.
The service has had different formats. It has always, so far as I know, been a sleeper, never a coach.

It has come from New York, it has come from Washington, it has come from Boston at various times through the years.

Often it has involved a full nights stay in New Orleans using the sleeper as a hotel but even that has varied as schedules have flipp flopped all through the years.
Yup, I rode Sunset/Crescent through car twice when i was a kid. Course, that was in the late 70's and the Crescent was still run by Southern. We Rode Sunset from Houston to NO, then our sleeper was switched in the the Southern Crescent while we slept. We rode that to Birmingham. Both times was round trip.

Heh, I may do ATL-NOL-HOS in a few short weeks and I can't tell you how much I'd love for a through car! I believe the Sunset Limited takes 9 hours to go from New Orleans to Houston. If they resurrect a through car to Los Angeles it would be prudent to schedule the Houston stop at a decent hour.

It'd be hilarious to reach NOL and just sit on train for 18 hours before getting attached to the Sunset Limited!

Heh, I may do ATL-NOL-HOS in a few short weeks and I can't tell you how much I'd love for a through car! I believe the Sunset Limited takes 9 hours to go from New Orleans to Houston. If they resurrect a through car to Los Angeles it would be prudent to schedule the Houston stop at a decent hour.
It'd be hilarious to reach NOL and just sit on train for 18 hours before getting attached to the Sunset Limited!
Don't sit on the train. It's New Orlean.

New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Charlotte, Atlanta, Birmingham, New Orleans, Beaumont, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso, Tucson, Phoenix..sorta, LA....
Which one of these things is not like the others? :)
So you noticed...hehe.
Well if it's "Phoenix.. sorta", shouldn't it be "Beaumont..REAL sorta (until they build a REAL place to stop)"? :lol:

Yup, I rode Sunset/Crescent through car twice when i was a kid. Course, that was in the late 70's and the Crescent was still run by Southern. We Rode Sunset from Houston to NO, then our sleeper was switched in the the Southern Crescent while we slept. We rode that to Birmingham. Both times was round trip.
I am envious, Printman. Glad you got to ride it, I never did.

Here is a pic of our sleeper in the middle of the Southern Crescent...
http://printman2000.rrpicturearchives.net/...aspx?id=1023577

You can see other pics from those trips at http://printman2000.rrpicturearchives.net/...8798&Page=1
Thanks for the memories, printman.

The dome in that those shots went just from Atlanta to New Orleans. If anyone wanders why it is a different color, that is because it was originally Wabash equipment, in their colors, sold later to Southern.

On the whole subject of transcontinental sleepers, there used to be several, especially pre-Amtrak, in addition to the Sunset route via New Orleans.They would be from New York and even Washington to Chicago to Los Angeles, also San francisco. On variuos trains, various routes, various railroads. I believe Amtrak ran one from New York via Kansas City to Los Angeles, not sure exactly. I just know I never got to ride in them, unlike Printmant.

Printman, hope to see you in Boston.

These are from 9/1949 and the PRR. NYC also had some that made the same connections.

Nice not having to change trains in Chicago.

Click on the small picture for a larger view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back