Just a quick day trip......

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MStrain

Service Attendant
Well, I have decided that since I am not doing anything constructive next Sunday afternoon, I am going to take the Southbound City of New Orleans out of Jackson, MS all the way down to Hammond, LA....get off around 1:30PM and board the Northbound train around 2:45PM to return home. I haven't ridden in a few years and I thought I'd put my money where my mouth is and start riding again. Just because. With my NARP discount it comes to around $39 rountrip.

Plus I get to check out the "new" Cross Country Cafe.......I will post photos when I get back.

Just to ask.....has anyone ever attempted a similar scenario only to find that their arriving train is late and they missed the departing????? Then I would really be down the creek without a tug boat.................. :unsure:

MStrain :lol:

Well, I have decided that since I am not doing anything constructive next Sunday afternoon, I am going to take the Southbound City of New Orleans out of Jackson, MS all the way down to Hammond, LA....get off around 1:30PM and board the Northbound train around 2:45PM to return home. I haven't ridden in a few years and I thought I'd put my money where my mouth is and start riding again. Just because. With my NARP discount it comes to around $39 rountrip. Plus I get to check out the "new" Cross Country Cafe.......I will post photos when I get back.

Just to ask.....has anyone ever attempted a similar scenario only to find that their arriving train is late and they missed the departing????? Then I would really be down the creek without a tug boat.................. :unsure:

MStrain :lol:
Get off at McComb if #59 is running late.

I'm going to attempt the same thing, I'm going to take the Cascades from here - BEL - to the next stop down - MVW - in the morning and catch the northbound train back.

The southbound train arrives in Mount Vernon at 9:04 and the northbound train is at 9:13.

I guess since the train originates in Bellingham, and the trip is only one half hour long, I'm thinking the southbound train won't be late? with any luck. Then the chances are, the northbound train will be a couple of minutes late, but probably not early.

I will probably talk to the station staff or the crew and have them tell the northbound train to wait for me if they beat the southbound one to Mount Vernon. I will try this first on a day when the northbound crew knows me.

I want to do this cause the Cascades is offering double miles, plus there's a weekday sale going on 30% off, plus it's something to do. But it's nuts, I know that.

You ought to be sure to tell the conductor what you are trying to do, he can find out how the other train is running. And that's good advice to get off earlier if your train is running late.

Now, now... We're only talking about a late morning departure, a two hour trip and about an hour layover. Don't reserve. Call that morning and see if the trains are both scheduled to arrive in Hammond on time. If they are, then go buy your tickets at the station in Jackson. It may cost $44 instead of $39, but that's the price to pay...

If your outbound is running more than 30 minutes late, then try again next week. Not worth getting stuck. I did it almost the same way running from ABQ to Lamy. Ticket agent thought I was nuts. I had my phone to call my buddy to lived inbetween to bail me out if I missed my return, but I didn't need to cash that chip.

Whatever you do, though, KEEP YOUR TICKET. Shouldn't be a problem buying at the window, but be sure to have your stub available if your points don't post after a few days.

The Cascades scenario doesn't sit well with me. 10 minutes is too short. Only thing that will save you is if both trains are on single track except at the station and the opposite train needs a warrant (or signal). You may have enough time to jump to the other platform. It really isn't the job of the conductor to hold up a train because you want a double mile joy ride. I'm going to go on a limb here and say it's not polite to hold up those passengers, either. I don't want to dissuade you from your trip, but count on missing it and have a back up plan to get you home. At least you only have to wait 12 hours for a return trip rather than 24. :)

The Cascades scenario doesn't sit well with me. 10 minutes is too short. Only thing that will save you is if both trains are on single track except at the station and the opposite train needs a warrant (or signal). You may have enough time to jump to the other platform. It really isn't the job of the conductor to hold up a train because you want a double mile joy ride. I'm going to go on a limb here and say it's not polite to hold up those passengers, either. I don't want to dissuade you from your trip, but count on missing it and have a back up plan to get you home. At least you only have to wait 12 hours for a return trip rather than 24. :)
I appreciate the feedback, actually! It is sort of an absurd thing to think of doing. On the weekdays, there is an intercity bus I could catch back if I had to. On Sundays there isn't but there's a Greyhound or two at some point.

That's interesting about whether they are both using the same track. I have no idea.

Sunday is the day when I know the northbound crew, but when there is less options for returning. I suppose I should really go with a plan to spend some time down there if I get stuck and have to wait for a Greyhound. Which, is more expensive than the train, I might add!

I think I just have cabin fever. Hey MStrain, sorry if I hijacked your post. Do you have cabin fever too? I wish I had an option for a longer trip. I wish I could go spend the day in Seattle but I would probably spend money if I did that and would be better off waiting. I like your idea better, of just being on the train! I should start looking at more options for just that. If I got creative I bet I could figure something out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cascadia.....you didn't hijack the post at all! :ph34r: Just kidding....you really didn't!!!! I put this on here in hopes that others would try to ride the short distances. I do have cabin fever........my wife is pregnant with our first child and we have been staying home a good bit. I'm an outside kinda guy and always like to be on the move!!! What better way to get out of the house for a few hours. I hate watching TV, so some good South Mississippi/North East Louisiana scenery should do the trick!

Thanks for the advice Ventureforth....I will wait and buy the tickets from the agent that day.

My grandma told me a funny story today about when she used to ride the daily up to North Mississippi to visit family. She and her friend would always hang out the window on the way back.....when they detrained onto the platform in Jackson, all of the folks would laugh at their coal stained faces. The good ol days!!!!!!!!!!! :p

I used to do the same thing in my late teens. My jaunt was from Greensburg, PA to Altoona, PA. I think I did the Broadway Limited one time. Another time I took a couple friends along. Altoona wasn't exactly a toddlin' town, but it was a nice excuse for a train ride.

On the current schedules, one can ride from Pittsburgh to Harrisburg, PA, and back in the same day. I did this to introduce my kids to Amtrak. However, with only an hour or so layover in Harrisburg, sometimes, this jaunt can be dicey. In fact, my return tickets on #43 were booked for the next day! I was fully prepared to get a hotel room.

Three days out though, when it looked like #42/43 were running decently, I called ahead to change my reservation to return on #43 the same day we were taking #42. We got into Harrisburg about five minutes early, which was plenty of time to go to the ticket office and exchange the tickets (no cancellation fee or anything like that).

I should add these days, Altoona's Railroaders' Memorial Museum would be a good excuse for a Saturday ride on #42/43. The schedules are such that one can spend the day in the museum. Here's the website for information on their hours, and admission fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back