Julie

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be heading to Las Vegas, about two hours drive next Monday. It will be unstaffed station, so I would like to call ahead to check for status on #3 (SWC) by calling Julie. I need a step by step to find the status.

You just talk to her in short concise sentences. You don't push buttons and numbers to get info.

You say things like "Train Status", then she'll ask you if you know the train's number or it's destination and origin.

But basially you are just having a conversation with a computer and she'll tell you what she needs.

Ps. Since the number is toll free, you can even call and practice from home long before leaving home.

And if you would rather speak to a "live" person, simply say "agent" or press "zero" and you'll get a live agent. That way if "Julie" can't undrstand you, then you can ask an agent the train's status. OBS...

Even though you can "talk" to the computer, I generally find it easier (and less awkward, personally) to use the buttons.

If you'd rather press numbers rather than talk to the robot, first dial 1800-872-7245 (1800 USA RAIL).

After Julie's done her intro, press 1 for train status.

She'll ask if you know the train number. Press 1 for yes.

Then enter the train number (3).

Then she'll ask if you want arrival or departure information. Press 1 for arrival or 2 for departure (for this case, it really wouldn't matter which one you press).

Then she'll ask what station the train is arriving/departing from. Unfortunately, there is no numeric button way to answer this question. Speak clearly, including the city and state (otherwise, she'll completely confuse where you are going).

Then she'll ask if that is for a train arriving today (press 1 for yes). Then stick around and wait for the answer.

GG-1 said:
Aloha
Anyone know how "Julie" got her name?

Mahalo

Eric
I'm not 100% sure, but I beleave it was one of the people's names who designed the system. But I may be thinking of the National Weather Service radio voice system. ( NOAA weather radio )

amtrakmichigan said:
GG-1 said:
Aloha
Anyone know how "Julie" got her name?

Mahalo

Eric
I'm not 100% sure, but I beleave it was one of the people's names who designed the system. But I may be thinking of the National Weather Service radio voice system. ( NOAA weather radio )

I have heard or read someplace that Julie is really, literally the actual name of the person whose voice is used. And that she really is am Amtrak employee. If this is true, I have no idea what she "herself" actually does, asdie from what her "voice" does.

Can't prove it but feel sure I saw her picture and a note about that somewhere, perhaps an NARP leaflet.

One addition to what Rob said, from about 9PM to 4AM or so it will ask you do you want trains arriving Friday or Saturday, whatever the current day and the next day are. So be cautious of that, it's 1 for the first choice, 2 for the second. Once you hear the status if you press 2 you can hear where the last report was out of and how late the train was out of that location.

Talking to Julie from a cellphone can be tricky. Most cellphones pickup background noise, which can interrupt the voice-activation. Julie works better from a land line.

AmtrakFan said:
Julie is worthless
I resent that! Press "zero" or say "agent" to speak to an agent. I am so sorry when I don't understand you, but I am not worthless! Amtrak spent a lot of money on me!! LOL......... :lol:

Back