Journey from NY Penn to Florida

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next Tuesday, I will be leaving to catch the Silver Meteor Train #97 from New York Penn Station to go to Universal Studios in Florida. On the way back, I will be taking the Silver Meteor Train #98 back to NY. I went to Penn Station today to pick up the tickets ahead of time and saw that the lines to go down to the platforms were horrendous! An Amtrak attendant had said to come about 1 hour ahead of time to avoid being at the end of the line (which I will do) but, is there another way to go down to the platforms to avoid this? How long does it usually take before you get down to the platform? As I soon as I get to Penn Station, what do I do (Do I wait for the train to say that it's boarding or check my baggage)?

Also, How comfortable are the coach seats when it comes to sleeping because the sleepers seem a little too expensive? Should I bring pillows or do they have them on the train? How is the food on the train? From doing a little research on the internet, I noticed that the Silver Services seem to be late very often, is this true?

If you have your tickets already, then if your checking bags in the baggage car, you have to have that done before thirty minutes prior to scheduled departure. If you are not checking in any bags (carry on only), then the hour early or a little less should be sufficient.

As far as your travel is concerned.....this is Amtrak long distance service! So plan on possible delays! For as long as the train uses another company's trackage (outside the NEC, we use CSX freight tracks the most of the way on Silver Service) we are subject to their running conditions as well as other varibles involved with moving vehicles and the travel industry as a whole! Remember, your not on the only train on the tracks (yes a lot of passengers really think like this)! If you don't plan anything really important as soon as you are supposed to get there, and remain flexible with your schedule and attitude toward train travel in general, you should be OK.

Traveling in coach is not my personal preference, however, it is only one night on the train in each direction between NYP and MIA. You may wanna take some pillows from home as well as a blanket if you get cold easily. I recomend you be sure to take some snack foods along and have cash available should you need it. Have at least one meal in the dining car if you can. If you have never experienced it, you should try at least once.

Finally, I can't stress this enough to all passengers. In the travel industry as a whole it is up to you to ask questions. There are many varibles involved when traveling with a public entity. And Amtrak is not immune. Talk to you fellow passengers as well. You will meet all kinds from different walks of life. The experienced Amtrak travelers can offer you good advice in many different situations. There are many who post right here in the forums. They will add good info some of which I may have left out. I have given you the employee's point of view! Good luck, enjoy your trip, and thanks for choosing Amtrak. Let us know how the trip goes when you return (good or bad). OBS...

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
Entire post made by Amtrak OBS Employee
Thanks for all the info and I will definately post how the trip went! :)

Base said:
off topic, but is it possible to get baggage checked a day before?
I too were wondering if you could check your baggage ahead of time?

Base said:
off topic, but is it possible to get baggage checked a day before?
As far a I know you can check bags a day or two ahead still. Sometimes that is required if you are making connections in which checked baggage handling is delayed! If that is the case, the agent will usually advise you of that. However, again there is that possibilty someone may neglect to think of that kind of info, so as I previously stated be sure to check that out if that is a concern. If you are not making any connections which may cause your checked bags to be delayed, then personally I would rather them be in the baggage car on the same train I am traveling. OBS...

Back