JOL to STL and back

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heavesrock

Train Attendant
I caught the Texas Eagle southbound from Joliet to St Louis on the 19th. The train was about 40 minutes late in arriving due to a problem with one of the coach cars in Chicago, which caused it depart late. I didn't mind the wait, as I got to meet a few nice people hanging around at the station or waiting for the train (Including a man with his arm amputated heading for El Paso in coach, and a homeless man trying to find a Catholic shelter). My car was about half full on the train, but apparently the through cars were quite full, as the man I met at the station and his wife came foward, saying they were unable to find a seats together. The conductor (or assistant conductor) rather rudely told them there were plently of seats and to go back, after they had hauled their luggage through 3-4 cars. My coach had no electrical outlets, which was unfortunate for me, as my laptop battery has a life of about 10 minutes.

After we got moving, we encountered some sort of signal problems that resulted in us going about 30 MPH for 10-15, stopping about 5 seconds, and resuming our 30 MPH speed. This kept up until just before Dwight. The train largely emptied out at Bloomington-Normal and Springfield. As a number of people went out for smoke breaks at Springfield, everyone who did seemed to leave rather full beer bottles lying around the lounge car. About Springfield I became a bit hungry and got some spicy chicken wings from the Cafe, which tasted quite good, even if they were just microwaved. Except for one rude conductor, the staff was all very friendly and joked around with the folks in the lounge car. We kept losing time going south, and arrived in St. Louis over an hour late. It was very interesting to hear the oohs aahs as we went past the Illinois Capital Building and the St. Louis skyline. The conductor seemed to be quite proud of St. Louis, pointing out the beautiful skyline and the number of Pennants the Cardinals have won. This was my first look at the new St. Louis station, it was probably the best station I have been in, which is more reflective of my lack of Amtrak travel than the station's qualities itself.

Had a lot of fun in St. Louis with my mother, visiting the Gateway Arch, Dred Scott courthouse, Union Station (Why couldn't they just move back in there?), and the Museum of Transportation. Rode all over the place on the St. Louis metrolink, which is a nice system that just needs to be expanded some more.

We caught the 306 Lincoln Service on the way back up. The train was very empty, especially starting out in St. Louis. The ride was very, which I assume is the fault of the horizon cars, as the ride in the Amfleet cafe/business car (Amfleet I or II BTW?) was much smoother. The train went very slow between STL-ALN arriving about 15 minutes late. I tried a cafe cheeseburger, which tasted about like you would except a microwaved cheeseburger to taste, but it was edible and I would eat it again. The train lost a lot of time between Pontiac and Joliet and arrived over a half hour late. Unfortunately, the Joliet station had the elevators locked, meaning my mother had to attempt to lug her heavy suitcase down the stairs (I was already heavily laden with other bags). Fortunately, a nice man appeared and carried it down for her.

Altogether a fun trip, which I would gladely do again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back