Joe biden has a ticket to ride?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrak_russ

Service Attendant
Saw a video on youtube critizing Sen. Joe Biden and what he can do for amtrak. I have provided the link to the video, and it raises some questions.

nice song.

Maybe Amtrak increases are another thing that Biden is personally opposed to.

Dan

Talk is cheap, and posting a YouTube video containing assertions without reference or sources is even cheaper. How did somebody get ahold of Biden's $3.20 ticket? Any proficient PhotoShopper coulda come up with that.

And that's gotta be the worst version of that already lame Beatles song I've ever heard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, let's just think about all the problems with this, not to mention what I have to believe is some deliberate deception.

First, he talks about the costs to commute to Washington, but shows prices to Baltimore.

Second, all prices are for regional trains, but the video only shows Acela.

Then there is the lack of info provided. Yes, prices have gone up on the NEC, but they didn't just go up for those living in Delaware. They went up for everyone, especially for those commuting from Philly to NY. The author also compares NEC fares to California fares, but fails to note that the State of California helps to finanance those trains, which is what creates those artificially low fares. Neither Delaware, nor any other State on the NEC at this point helps to finance Amtrak. New Jersey at one point did with the Clockers, but no more.

Finally of course there is the idea of a $3.20 ticket. Personally I'm not sure that it would have been possible for anyone to buy said ticket. But even if we assume that there was such a sale and that the ticket isn't a fraud, the implication is that Joe pays that fare every day. And that is highly unlikely.

...Neither Delaware, nor any other State on the NEC at this point helps to finance Amtrak. New Jersey at one point did with the Clockers, but no more.
Just a point about state financing of the NEC. New Jersey does finance Amtrak by way of NJ Transit. NJ Transit pays for operating access to the NEC and a portion of all NEC capital improvements in New Jersey. That portion is 67%: not insignificant at all and far in excess of Amtrak's avoided cost for serving NJT. If you add in the fact that all NEC stations in New Jersey are owned and maintained by NJT, New Jersey probably makes as meaninful contribution to Amtrak as California.

Do members of Congress get special rates on Amtrak?

I know that members of Congress get to mail for free ("franking"), and that continues even with the Post Office being semi-separated from the government.

I have no knowledge or proof, and therefore only poising the question, but I would not have a difficult time believing that Congress voted themselves special rates on Amtrak for the purpose of commuting to the Capital.

How did somebody get ahold of Biden's $3.20 ticket? Any proficient PhotoShopper coulda come up with that.
I don't believe that anyone got hold of a Biden's ticket. Let me explain why I believe that!

I searched for Amtrak tickets to compare and found tickets in many names similar to the one used in the YouTube video:

http://www.senatorsonatrain.com/picture_fi..._CH_NY_Bush.jpg

http://www.senatorsonatrain.com/picture_fi..._NY_Clinton.jpg

http://www.senatorsonatrain.com/picture_fi..._CT_NY_Dodd.jpg

http://www.senatorsonatrain.com/picture_fi...Y_Lieberman.jpg

http://www.senatorsonatrain.com/picture_fi..._NY_Schumer.jpg

http://www.senatorsonatrain.com/picture_fi..._DC_CH_Bush.jpg

And you can find dozens more at:

http://www.senatorsonatrain.com/picture_files/

Now I'm not a graphic expert (my training was in the detection of fraudlent driver licenses) but I have examined graphics and found hard to detect alterations. In the case of this video I did examine what shows in the video and made some comparisons. I found 4 points of suspect for alterations and do believe that you are right in implying that they are "PhotoShopped"... and believe it or not, this opinion comes from a Republican! :lol:

Saw a video on youtube critizing Sen. Joe Biden and what he can do for amtrak. I have provided the link to the video, and it raises some questions.

Joe Biden pays the regular Amtrak $1,062 monthly commuter rate.

the Acela and other Amtrak trains need the short haul commuter seats for the long haul passengers.

the regular Monhly pass from Perryville MD just over the MD line from Delaware to DC on the MARC commuter train is just $275 dollars and there are plans to extend the service to Newark Delaware just South of Wilmington.

the $3.20 fare was a one time "joy ride" fare and was really limited in when you could use it and of very short duration.

Bob

Now I'm not a graphic expert (my training was in the detection of fraudlent driver licenses) but I have examined graphics and found hard to detect alterations.
It's not necessary to alter the tickets. You can buy a ticket in any name that you want.

All that the person needs is the right fare. I'm sure that one could find some combination of buckets, discounts, and connections to get a ticket with an appropriately low fare.

If someone can get a credit card in the name of Michael Jackson and then use it to masquerade around, Amtrak tickets should be a cinch.

...Joe Biden pays the regular Amtrak $1,062 monthly commuter rate.
the Acela and other Amtrak trains need the short haul commuter seats for the long haul passengers.
If he uses the monthly ticket (Smartpass) he is not on Acela. The monthly passes are not accepted on Acela.

...Joe Biden pays the regular Amtrak $1,062 monthly commuter rate.
If he uses the monthly ticket (Smartpass) he is not on Acela. The monthly passes are not accepted on Acela.
I did not say he was on Acela, I don't know what train he actually rides and considering the varied schedule the goverment operates I would suspect it is a different train on many day.

however with a monthly pass upgrading to Acela is permitted with the payment of an upgrade fee, I do not know what it is and it is a train by train upgrade, So yes he could ride an Acela if he paid the upgrade fee.

now that being said I suspect that he makes enough money to pay the fee, sometimes your time is more important than money, not to mention I suspect his train fare is considerably less than the second homes that most congress folk have in DC.

Bob

...Neither Delaware, nor any other State on the NEC at this point helps to finance Amtrak. New Jersey at one point did with the Clockers, but no more.
Just a point about state financing of the NEC. New Jersey does finance Amtrak by way of NJ Transit. NJ Transit pays for operating access to the NEC and a portion of all NEC capital improvements in New Jersey. That portion is 67%: not insignificant at all and far in excess of Amtrak's avoided cost for serving NJT. If you add in the fact that all NEC stations in New Jersey are owned and maintained by NJT, New Jersey probably makes as meaninful contribution to Amtrak as California.
All that you say is true Bill, NJT does make a significant contribution to Amtrak in that manor, and perhaps I should have been more specific and careful with my choice of words. I was refering to the idea of paying to run an Amtrak train at a greatly reduced price to the passenger, like California, Illinois, and a few other states do. They are creating an artificially low Amtrak price by using their state dollars. NJT isn't creating an artificially low Amtrak price with their contribution, they are still helping Amtrak maintain the NEC and New Jersey benefits from it as does Amtrak. But their contribution does nothing to lower Amtrak fares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back