I've discovered why the Palmetto is always late

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So here I am, sitting on the Palmetto (#90) at 7:20 PM, still at least 10-20 minutes out of Alexandria. (Scheduled arrival at 7:10 PM). I have finally discovered the solution to something that has mystified me for some time.

A couple of days every week, I travel from WAS to BAL: on Regional #188, departs WAS at 7:10 PM. While waiting to board at WAS (between 6:30 and 6:55 PM) the arrival board almost always shows #90 as being on time. When I arrive in BAL at ~7:70 PM, the arrival board almost always shows #90 as being 20-30 minutes late.

What I've discovered is that between a little south of Fredricksburg and Alexandria, the tarin spends a lot of time stopped and delayed by traffic congestion. It's really a shame, because on the rest of the route, all the way from Savannah, the train was on time, usually pulling into stations 5-10 minutes early. In fact, if they could end the congestion and cut the schedule padding, I'll bet they could cut an hour of the schedule travel time.

Oh, and FYI, business class on #90 is now just the standard NE Corridor Amfleet 1 business class cars. On the other hand, coach on #90 are Amflett II coaches, so the legroom is about the same, and the coaches have legrests. The main advantage to BC seems to be that the car is less crowded and single travelers are more likely to be able to hog 2 seats. But if I ever travel #90 with a companion, I'll just take coach and save the money. I think maybe someone at Amtrak might want to take a look at this and make sure the the premium service is truly superior to the standard service.

FYI, we're pulling into Alexandria at 7:30 PM, or 30 minutes late. We left Richmond on time.

Perhaps they need to put another track on the line. I guess we can't expect the State of Virginia, under its current administration, to want to help pay for it, though.

I ran into the same issues around Fredericksburg on 80 a few years back. In that area you've got a lot of movements between VRE, Amtrak, and CSX. You basically almost need a quad main (like you have on the NEC) from Fredericksburg to Virginia Ave. At best I think you've got a triple main (double in some places), so that will hurt you a lot. The upside is you've got cab signals on the RF&P which allow you to run the trains closer together, but if you get stuck behind a VRE train making local stops you're going to knock down Approach on the Cab Signal a lot.

Just a little FYI, looking at the Amtrak Status maps everyday 90 has a tendency to run upwards of 40 minutes early into NYP! Very rarely is it late.. It often gains time between WAS between WAS and NYP because it can leave early as it's discharge only.

Oh, and FYI, business class on #90 is now just the standard NE Corridor Amfleet 1 business class cars. On the other hand, coach on #90 are Amflett II coaches, so the legroom is about the same, and the coaches have legrests. The main advantage to BC seems to be that the car is less crowded and single travelers are more likely to be able to hog 2 seats. But if I ever travel #90 with a companion, I'll just take coach and save the money. I think maybe someone at Amtrak might want to take a look at this and make sure the the premium service is truly superior to the standard service.
I've been telling Amtrak this for two years since they removed the faux leather BC/Cafe combo car. There really isn't any advantage when the car is sold out and the cafe car runs out of free beverage stock.

I promise you, they don't care. Keep booking coach and complaining, though. Book coach, cause you WON'T get a refund. :(

I've been telling Amtrak this for two years since they removed the faux leather BC/Cafe combo car. There really isn't any advantage when the car is sold out and the cafe car runs out of free beverage stock.

I promise you, they don't care.
I'll double that promise and raise you 2 LSA's... :lol:

This is why I have lost my interest in HSR for most areas. The real need is not HSR but improvements that allow Amtrak to go at current top speeds continuously. This means sufficient track, over/underpasses for roads to avoid crossings, real priority vs freight and improved quality of the track. Slowly accelerating to 80mph after leaving a station then maintaining that speed until necessary to slow down for the next stop would be the best improvement for Amtrak.

The problem with the Palmetto, like the problem with the Silvers, the Crescent and so many other trains I have been on has not been they were too slow at 80MPH for my liking was that 80MPH was done far too little. Even the "slow" European trains I have been on average much higher speeds because they don't spend time running at 30MPH because of congestion, bad track or rail crossings in towns.

The European trains are also typically grade separated and not running on ROW owned by freight railroads...

I promise you, they don't care. Keep booking coach and complaining, though. Book coach, cause you WON'T get a refund. :(
The 2/1 seating has been gone about 6 months now. NOT 2 years!

I was one of those upset with the elimination of the 2/1 BC car on the Palmetto. Who wants to ride in a coach and pay extra? Well, my last trip was in coach on a sold out northbound Palmetto as we approached Richmond. It was packed - along with all manner of noises and smells. In my seat and buried in a book, I was trying very hard to block it out. I took refuge in the cafe car as it had room with the additional tables a full cafe offered, although almost all were filled, and not just with the crew as in the past. Then I checked out the BC car - maybe 20 passengers and each, unless traveling in pairs, had another seat to spread out. That's what you're paying for - a six hour ride in some degree of comfort and quiet. Next time that's where I'll be.

They don't care because the market is happy to buy those seats at those prices, and I can assure you they will keep ignoring you as long as they can sell those seats. After they are in the business of making money (or trying their best to do so) per directions from the Congress. :)

The European trains are also typically grade separated and not running on ROW owned by freight railroads...
Except on certain corridors, the classic lines are not grade separated. For example TGVs that run on upgraded classic lines routinely run across grade crossing and have been involved in more than one grade crossing collisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back