It's back (the 50% points purchase bonus)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I got the email saying "Hurry! Time's Running Out!".

They've given me 2 weeks to come up with $275 for 15,000 points.

But come up with $275, I shall!

Then I'll be only 7500 points away from a 2-zone roomette trip. 40,000 points is a big milestone. Not only do you get a roomette for two zones (which by definition for ME would be an overnight trip), it can be redeemed for TWO people. Oooooo!

If I put it on my AGR MC, will I get 275 extra points or 550 for being an Amtrak purchase?
Sorry, only 275 points. You're not buying this from Amtrak, you're dealing with the points company. Still the best value anywhere.

I'm probably misreading your post, but 20,000 points gets a you a roomette for two zones for one or two people.

Today I got the email saying "Hurry! Time's Running Out!".

They've given me 2 weeks to come up with $275 for 15,000 points.

But come up with $275, I shall!

Then I'll be only 7500 points away from a 2-zone roomette trip. 40,000 points is a big milestone. Not only do you get a roomette for two zones (which by definition for ME would be an overnight trip), it can be redeemed for TWO people. Oooooo!

If I put it on my AGR MC, will I get 275 extra points or 550 for being an Amtrak purchase?
I'm probably misreading your post, but 20,000 points gets a you a roomette for two zones for one or two people.
I'm guessing he's booking round trip.

Amtrak could suddenly change the rules at any time as they see fit. As with any loyalty program never convert more real money into monkey points than you can afford to lose. If you cannot afford to lose that money you may get seriously burned when the next rule adjustment or points devaluation comes along.
I am concerned my current 61k points will be devalued before I use them for 2 zone trips; my one zone roomette trips are never more than $250.

Well, I meant that before having 40,000 points for a r/t 2 zone trip, I would have to get coach, and the redemption for coach is only for one whereas redemption for roomette is for one or two.

And I still don't have plans. :(

My wife is NOT a train rider, and last time I wanted to just take a trip, well, she didn't like the idea of me leaving the kids home with her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scored 30K between my account and the wife's! I got the email and she did not. This will make our annual San Antonio trip half price because the roomette prices are pretty high right now at the time we want to travel.

I just punched in for 15,000 but find it unusual that even though I immediately got the e-mail confirmation as well as confirmation in the Recent Transaction Pull Down Menu, my Total Points tally on the AGR site has not updated. Hopefully I don't have to go chasing the Points down :)

EDIT UPDATE - After about 2 hours they showed up :)

Got my 15,000 points. Now, what do with my 33K....

Ya know, 15,000 points for $275 - equals a one way, one zone roomette. That's pretty stinkin' cool.

ONLY THREE DAYS LEFT!!!

Get the points while they are on sale. I normally wait for the 50% bonus to the end of each year. If it doesn't happen in Dec then I decide if the higher price is worth buying or not. At the special 50% offer I always buy. .

Purchased today. Email confirmation received.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the points to be added to your AGR account after they are purchased? I see that the points purchase is listed under transactions but not added to my points total.

I got the 50% extra offer for July, with a July 31 end date. Kept getting a "server error" when attempting to buy points for myself. So, on ahunch, tried the "buy points for others" button and filled in my own account info. It gave me an error message ("can't buy for yourself on this page") but when I then backed up one screen, it went to a different looking page where "buy for yourself" DID work, including the 50% bonus. I am now one happy camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I got the 50% extra offer for July, with a July 31 end date. Kept getting a "server error" when attempting to buy points for myself. So, on ahunch, tried the "buy points for others" button and filled in my own account info. It gave me an error message ("can't buy for yourself on this page") but when I then backed up one screen, it went to a different looking page where "buy for yourself" DID work, including the 50% bonus. I am now one happy camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
CONGRATS!!!!

Back