It costs more to have a layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MontanaJim

Service Attendant
Im travelling from DC to Salt Lake City in December. Id like to take the train on the 17th and spend one night in chicago. However, the fare is more than $50.00 extra if i split the trip into two segments instead of doing a straight shot from dc to salt lake city.

Anyone know a way around this?

Perhaps it is just that the fare for the next day (after your layover) is $50 more than the fare for the same day (if you didn't layover). If you're looking at first class, pricing tiers and how many rooms are already booked are a factor as well.

I don't think that's the case. I picked a couple of random dates and got a similar descrepancy.

iim planning on travelling coach. i changed my dates, price is still the same.

I dont understand why the price difference. I understand this tactic is used throughout the travel industry. Still, it doesnt make sense. It costs Amtrak the same to transport me from dc to salt lake city whether or not i stop in chicago. Travel costs should be by the mile.

MontanaJim said:
Travel costs should be by the mile.
Travel costs should be based on the revenue-maximizing amount (i.e. whatever price or set of prices Amtrak can charge to get the most revenue out of a particular trip).

As you noted, higher prices for stopovers is generally the case throughout the transportation industry. Don't get me started on airline pricing (which bugs the hell out of me and has never made any real sense). Amtrak's fares are not always based on A+B+C, etc. Some fares are based on specific city pairs that include connections. Sometimes this will cost less than the two segments booked separately. It's not so much a penalty to those making a stopover as it is a discount for those making connections.

Even many local transit operators work this way. Get on a bus (or subway) and make a transfer to another line, and it will cost you one fare. Get off at the transfer point, spend five hours there, then hop back on to continue your journey, you'll have to pay more (i.e. a new fare).

That's the way it's been for a long time, and that's the way it's going to be for a long time to come.

Back