ISIC Discount without an ISIC card?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who have travelled with the ISIC discount (or any other membership discount, e.g. AAA, Student Advantage, etc.), does the conductor ever ask to see your ISIC card when he takes your ticket? Or will the baggage check person ask for it, or anyone else?

The reason I ask is because I recently purchased an amtrak ticket with an ISIC discount, only to realize this morning that my ISIC card (which I haven't used in months) is nowhere to be found. I had my ISIC number in my PDA, and never thought to check that I actually have my card. Unfortunately, the trip is tomorrow, so I have no chance of getting a replacement. Should I be worried?

Ive never been asked for any of my cards. NARP or AAA , if they do just act naive, you'll get by....

Conductors do not check any form of discount identification cards as this is a reservations issues handled by ticket clerks, reservation agents, internet, etc. With the new ticket fare discount rules, when purchasing tickets onboard or at a station for the same day, no form of discount can be provided as you must make a reservation three days in advance and be ticketed prior to boarding to recieve any form of Amtrak discount (ticket by mail or staffed station). Prior to the new discount rules now in effect, if you boarded a train without being ticketed and holding a reservation using a discount, the dollar amount (discount included) to be collected by the conductor will be printed on the manifest. The only thing you'll need will be a photo ID, cash, check or credit card. Boarding a train without a reservation required that each passenger pay the full price listed in the tarrif book without any discount opportunity.

Once your ticket is issued and in hand (which it sounds like it is for you) you SHOULD be okay, but I would not make a habit out of this practice. Most conductors will ask for a valid government issued photo id when they collect tickets (at least they do here on the west coast), but usually do not request to see the discount card associated with the discount offered on your ticket.

The risk you take is having a conductor refuse to honor your ticket purchased with the discount card you cannot provide and in lieu of it might have to purchase a full fare ticket from the conductor on the train and refund the original one. The chances of this happening are small but it could potentially happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back