Is this doable

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
For my birthday I want to go LAX-EMY via CHI. I would take SWC to CHI spend one night in CHI, my birthday, and then the next day go CHI-EMY. Is that doable?

I don't have your answer, but I'm thinking you must really love Chicago do go all that traveling to spend one day there.

Or, you really love riding the rails and just need a day of rest in between. :giggle:

Hope you get your wish.

I don't have your answer, but I'm thinking you must really love Chicago do go all that traveling to spend one day there.

Or, you really love riding the rails and just need a day of rest in between. :giggle:

Hope you get your wish.
My "bucket list" is to ride every Amtrak Route in numerical order from end to end. I do love riding the rails, plus I will miss the connection in CHI.

If you're paying for it yourself, sure. If it is an AGR reward, no. It would either be a not allowed, you would be charged 2 two-zone awards (if you spend a night in CHI) or you may be forced to connect in GBB and be charged for 3 zones.

Did you check if the fare is less than the USA Rail Pass (15 day)?

Your cheapest lodging in Chicago would be the HI Hostel on Congress.

Are you taking the Coast Starlight back to LA?

If you were riding in coach, I would take a break in Albuquerque on the way and in Denver or Glenwood Springs on the way back.

If you were riding in coach, I would take a break in Albuquerque on the way and in Denver or Glenwood Springs on the way back.
It is his personal birthday present, so I think he will try to get a Sleeper.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're paying for it yourself, sure. If it is an AGR reward, no. It would either be a not allowed, you would be charged 2 two-zone awards (if you spend a night in CHI) or you may be forced to connect in GBB and be charged for 3 zones.
Nope, not enough miles so I am paying for it.

Why not? I would spend more than one night in Chicago. Most of the train mileage, in my opinion, is just plain fascinating! Do it!
Not enough vacation time at work, plus want to spend a few days in San Francisco.

No Coast Starlight home. I have airline benifits so I am going to fly home as a nonrev passanger.

Oops missed this one...yes a sleeper, bedroom to be specific.

Oops missed this one...yes a sleeper, bedroom to be specific.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back