Is this a must have?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, a $30 flashlight crossed with a Swiss neutral knife is not a "must have" in my book. Unless it's made in a first world country the price is too high and it'd be confiscated the first time I forgot to take it out of my luggage before entering an airport. I do a lot of fly/ride trips so this is a no-go for me.

No, a $30 flashlight crossed with a Swiss neutral knife is not a "must have" in my book. Unless it's made in a first world country the price is too high and it'd be confiscated the first time I forgot to take it out of my luggage before entering an airport. I do a lot of fly/ride trips so this is a no-go for me.
I agree. This is not a must have for Amtrak. Actually a simple keyring LED flashlight is enough for most purposes. As for Amtrak a more important thing to have is duct tape. All those screwdriver gizmos are pretty useless since I have no intention to take apart a Superliner and put it together again while riding it. :)

Now getting one to keep in ones car is a different matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70483?feat=2-SR0&productId=1182727

I just bought one for myself to keep in the car and got to thinking this is most likely a must have for the Amtrak travel kit.
The multi-tool part of the LED flashlight looks to be awkward to use in a lot of situations because of the length and size of the flashlight. Bottle opener fine, but using the small scissors off the end of the flashlight, not so much. Still, something that could be useful to keep in the car. But, as already noted, on Amtrak, the hacksaw and screwdriver tools, not so much.

Now if they could add in a dispensing roll of really thin duct tape and a USB memory stick into the flashlight, then they would have something! :lol:

Not really. And for the car, I much prefer having this:

Flashlight-Maglite-2.jpg

And this:

TORIn3REDtoolbox.jpg

Between my phone and my iPod touch, I don't think I'll need to take a flashlight. These two are bright enough as it is.

I love the humor of this discussion. But I will say that when I did my recent Empire Builder trip, I was very glad to have a flashlight along. Used it countless times. In fact, I consider a compact flashlight "must have" for any trip where there is a portion happening at night. I'd much rather turn on a small flashlight in coach than click on the overhead light. It is not that helpful and might disturb a neighbor. When I was in my sleeping compartment, I used it too. Always had it where my hand could find it in the dark. Costs so little, helps so much.

A flashlight is always good to bring (a Flashlight Ap on your smartphone works too!)

I was looking at this gizmo, and have decided it's not really a good tool in the first place. 1st if I were to get a multi tool I'd get a more recognized brand of multi tools, as I've had a good number of "store brand" ones which haven't really held up. I'd look for a Swiss Army (by either of the 2 brands that make them) or a Leatherman. 2nd-ly. If I had a flashlight & a multi-tool I'd prefer them to be separate (they could 'snap' together...) as I like to be able to use the multi-tool in dark locations while being able to see what I'm doing. In the above linked LL Bean multi-tool, the way it's designed you can't have the light pointing at what your doing with the tool.

So thanks for the suggestion, but I'll stick with my Victorinox & Maglight.

peter

When I was stuck on the broken-down CZ, a headlamp from Eddie Bauer was just the thing. The bathroom was very dark with the door closed, and the headlamp leaves both hands free!

A plain headband can hold a phone on the forehead in a pinch. Activate the LED flash, and you've given "hands-free" phone use a whole new meaning.

Just make sure the phone is snug and secure when using in a restroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back