Is there still a wine and cheese tasting on the Starlight?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the elimination of wine tasting comes under the 'it's all for the best' heading. I agree paying for a mediocre wine tasting didn't make sense. Do it right or don't do it. Why shell out $15 for the two of us when you can get a good full bottle for that price.

I remember I used the rationalization of 'it's all for the best' in the 60's. The railroads were taking off their secondary trains and I was sure that it was all for the best as it would save the top tier trains. We know how that ended. Amtrak may be taking lessons starting with the elimination of the amenities.

I guess the elimination of wine tasting comes under the 'it's all for the best' heading. I agree paying for a mediocre wine tasting didn't make sense. Do it right or don't do it. Why shell out $15 for the two of us when you can get a good full bottle for that price.

I remember I used the rationalization of 'it's all for the best' in the 60's. The railroads were taking off their secondary trains and I was sure that it was all for the best as it would save the top tier trains. We know how that ended. Amtrak may be taking lessons starting with the elimination of the amenities.

Maybe you can get an "OK" bottle of wine for $15, but a "good" one?

I'm glad I got to travel on the LSL, Builder, and Starlight in the good days of the wine tastings. I hardly ever drink at all, but it was so much fun to sit with fellow passengers and try wines, some that were grown from the regions we were traveling through. Also, they used to serve Beechers Cheese from Seattle on the Starlight and Empire Builder (you can visit them in Pike Place Market).

They could have stood up to Mica then just like they can stand up the Congress now especially since few in congress would care at this point. In fact adding some amenities and acting like theyre trying to attact passengers might win kudos from Congress. Wine and cheese was for premium passengers who in their ticket paid for this amenity. It was a selling point for sleepers.

Did they stop serving wine to first class Acela passengers on in NEC? What first class or premium product in the US doesnt or didnt include free alcohol?

I can think of one, Big front seat on Spirit but that service costs almost nothing. I paid 6 bucks for the upgrade Oakland to Lax last week got a big seat and had to pay 3 bucks for a bottle of water.

Back to the subject, its so subjective that now Amtrak even promotes the one free drink on the Lakeshore and Capital. The mandate is BS in the big picture.

The good old days of the Pacific Parlour Car and free wine and cheese tasting.

I remember the ol' daze when they had the wine tasting/Hors d'Oeuvres on the AT (along with a dozen other long-gone amenities). Buying wine on-board is krazy expensive. That's why I bring my own "bar" and invite friendly passengers to our rooms for Happy Hour.
I love it! Much more in-depth and complete than the traditional suit case nuke porta-bar that can carry maybe 2 bottles at most!

Back