is the recession helping Amtrak's on-time performance?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I assume the down economy means fewer freight trains are running. If that is true than average Amtrak delays should be getting better?

When the Sunset Ltd. arrives early at both ends of its itinerary you better believe we're in a deep recession. If yo don't know it this train was often 12 or more hours late mainly caused by freight congestion on the Union Pacific.

Wasn't there are provision in a recent AMTRAK bill which shifted the incentives for host railroads ontime performance related to AMTRAK trains from a $$$ bonus for ontime performance to a $$$ penalty for late trains? I searched but could not find that. Anyone?

No, I believe that the bonus program is still alive and well, and paying out bonus monies.

However, the bill did give the FRA some teeth finally to extract penalties from freight Co's who fail to give Amtrak the priority that they are supposed to get. I haven't heard of any action so far to hand out penalties, and with the recession that hit just as the law was signed, it may be a while before any freight Co's decide to try tempting the fates.

On my last trip of the seven trains I rode five were either on time or early.

When I traveled in March I asked one of the attendants if the recession has anything to do with the on-time performance and she said without blinking yes. I also only recall passing 6-7 freights my entire travel. As I have heard many say you can tell the economy by how many freights are moving in a day. I know by my house UP has less trains passing through.

LISTEN UP EVERYONE NOW IS THE TIME TO GET NEWBIES TO RIDE! With the trains having so much better OTP, I find this as a great time to get a newbie on a train. How many people have thought Amtrak sucks because of the OTP? How many people said "never again" because they were 5 hours late one way and 8 hours late on the return? The CZ has been on time ALOT since the recession dug its teeth into the national economy. I was sitting at Haymarket Park in Lincoln last Monday night and there was 12 BN engines parked in the railyards. A fan at the baseball game I was attending works for BNSF and said, "those are engines sitting because of the decrease in freight traffic". So yes, the economy is playing a part in the OTP. But I have one question: Does it help having a Vice President of the US who has ridden Amtrak almost daily for 30 years sitting on the 2nd to 3rd most powerful (at least in the eyes of the public) seat in the nation? I sure don't think that hurts!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back