Is the CZ always so stressful?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our last trip on the CZ leading up to Memorial Day weekend we needed to have reservations for breakfast as well. We were going from LNK-DEN and didn't know that. We detrain at 7am or so and we walked into the dining car and it was empty but noticed them "taking reservations" for the later seatings.
Al, are sure they were not just putting people on a waiting list? Since breakfast is first come first serve, it is quite usual for the crew to start a waiting list after it first fills up.
Maybe it depends on the number of expected people for that meal? I know that both sit-down lunches were first-come-first-serve (that was announced on the PA); equally, both dinners were by reservations only; but there was an announcement the 2nd morning saying that given the number of passengers, breakfast would be by reservations only, but then around 915 there was a PA call saying that anyone that wanted breakfast and didn't have reservations, breakfast was now being served on a first-come-first-served basis.

My impression is that the staff isn't being malicious, but simply trying to maintain some sense of order in what might be a really chaotic situation... and it seemed to work... or at least I was impressed with the number of people that were served, in such a short time, and got everything right.

As to why I hate LSA's calling by name. It reminds me of a teacher calling the students one by one. I also don't like unnecessary announcements going throughout the train.
"Unnecessary Announcements"? :huh:
Would you rather have the LSA have a wait list for breakfast and say over the PA, "David party of 3, Sam party of 1, your table is ready"? They could say instead "There is a table for 4 people ready! First 4 people to get here get it!" And if you're on the EB in the PDX sleeper, you have to go thru 5 cars to get to the dining car. Even if you wait in the SSL, you still have 2 cars to go thru.

So would you rather run down, pushing people out of the way, or sit in your seat or room waiting until they are ready for you? And how would you like it if they said "a table for 4 is ready" and you get there with your spouse and child only to be told "sorry but 2 people already came, so we only have room for 2". Who will you chose that has to wait and hope they can get there in time? :huh:

Traveler,

I never said I don't like reservations. I am talking about standard protocol for Lunch and Dinner with reservations. I like to be given a time to eat... And then come at that time. I've seen this work many times, it can be done.

I was not referring to breakfast wait lists. I have my own opinion on those, mainly that a good crew seems to be able to keep up with the passengers and does not require the waitlist... But if you have a waitlist you obviously have to go by name, or assign a group number.

We were put on a wait list for lunch on the CZ when we finally went to the diner. I think they gave us a number and called maybe 2 other numbers at the same time the called ours.

I live in Nebraska and ride the CZ several times a year between Holdrege and Chicago and back. Most trips are usually pretty good, have run into the occasional surly SCA, or LSA but nothing too bad. Dinner out of Chicago has always been by reservation, breakfast we usually don't eat since we get on so late in Holdrege, and lunch always seems to be first-come, first-serve. I have always noticed that for lunch going into Chicago, the diner is usually out of everything except hamburgers. Also, you can tell the on-board crew is tired riding EB from Holdrege to Chicago...it is the end of the 6-day trip for them and they are ready for a break, and who can blame them. Still most seem to care and do a good job. The last several trips we took this winter and spring, the train seemed to be cleaner than in years past and we were also early into Chicago both times.

I hate (yes hate) when LSA's call for reservations by name.
Some don't like that in restaurants, either. I know a guy who gives them a fake name, usually of a movie/TV star so when they call that name and he walks up to the desk, everyone thinks he's important.
I've been accused of using a fake name when in fact it is my name! I am just in a quandary as to if it is famous or infamous.

Here I post as oldtimer but in real life and for reservations I use my birth name, Alan B.

I hate (yes hate) when LSA's call for reservations by name.
Some don't like that in restaurants, either. I know a guy who gives them a fake name, usually of a movie/TV star so when they call that name and he walks up to the desk, everyone thinks he's important.
I've been accused of using a fake name when in fact it is my name! I am just in a quandary as to if it is famous or infamous.

Here I post as oldtimer but in real life and for reservations I use my birth name, Alan B.
:giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
--attendant not introducing herself or being present--constant LOUD announcements

--when asking the attendant about something her response: "That's what I said in my announcement."

--the lead dining attendant's voice which was always a YELL

--being told to leave the diner very abruptly at dinner after barely finishing our food

--getting a look like I was asking for something impossible when I asked for another tea to go at dinner

--one of the dining workers scolding the people who sat with us because he used blue pen instead of black pen to fill out the dining card form "Remember for next time, it has to be done in black ink. You might have to do it over again."

--terrible food in the diner
That should save you a bundle in tips!

Last August I had a superb experience on the CZ from Reno to Denver. Our SCA was so kind and helpful. He never appeared bothered by a question and didn't hide out. I always tip according to service and most SCA's really do earn their worth. So, maybe it is the Chicago crew? I've heard problems like this before out of Chicago unfortunately.

Last August I had a superb experience on the CZ from Reno to Denver. Our SCA was so kind and helpful. He never appeared bothered by a question and didn't hide out. I always tip according to service and most SCA's really do earn their worth. So, maybe it is the Chicago crew? I've heard problems like this before out of Chicago unfortunately.
except...on CZ the whole OBS crew is CHI based.

. What annoyed us was the incessant use of the PA calling passengers by name. There is a better way. We had completed a trip on the Canadian the week before. While there were two diners, the train had 10 sleepers. You chose one of three seatings (which then rotated after the first day). The only announcement made was at the start of each seating. It worked well and we never had to wait or stand in line and plenty of time to linger over our meal.
Oh lordy. Yes. This. Can I frame this comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back