Is my EB bedroom on the "good" side?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Mrs. Jackson 123 and I cashed in some AGRs and got a bedroom on the EAST BOUND Empire Builder this July. (I am glad we booked in January, the sleepers are already sold out for our train). Although we are on the East Coast, and there is something "natural" about "going West" we chose the East Bound EB (EB EB?) because after looking at the schedule I didn't want to take the chance of a huge delay between Chicago and Montana and risk crossing the mountains at night. East bound hits White fish in the morning, so i figure we've got more of a cushion.

Sorry, i digress (just REALLY looking forward to it).... My question: is our bedroom on the "good" side for sightseeing? (i.e. North). Not that it matters, but we are in bedroom E on car 0830.

My wife prefers the sightseeing car. But I like watching from my room, if possible. Just curious.

Also, how long is "optimal" viewing period around Glacier?

Thanks! and great forum.

My question: is our bedroom on the "good" side for sightseeing? (i.e. North). Not that it matters, but we are in bedroom E on car 0830.
You never really know which side will be which as they can make up the train with the bedrooms toward the engine or away from the engine, which of course, would make the bedroom on one side or the other. However, with that said, my experience has always been the bedrooms in the sleeping cars are away from the engine end of the train. Others may disagree with that, but my experience is they are.

Also, in the bedroom, not only can you see out your window, but if you are sitting on the couch, you can see out the hall window. In fact, on our last trip a few weeks ago I spent a lot of time taking pictures out the hall window as I could get down on my knees and hold the camera better with the rocking and rolling motion of the train.

E is a good bedroom.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know which side of the train your room will be on until you board. It just depends on how they make up the train. The Bedrooms are all on one side, but it depends on which way they face the car. I have experienced bedrooms on both sides of the train on the EB. Scenery should be good out either side. You can always leave the curtain open on your door and look out both directions. If there's something you want to see on the other side, you can simply step out into the hall.

First, there is no way to know if you are going to be on "the good side" - sleepers can be situated so either the bedrooms are at the front (such as you'll be on the left side) or the roomettes will be at the front (such as you'll be on the right side). It's the luck of the draw. The good thing is that if you leave the curtain open, you can see out both sides!

Next, BNSF usually keeps the EB on time.

Were I you, I'd get up as early as possible, race to the diner for breakfast, complete with camera, notebook, scanner and whatever other things you carry for train trips, and shoot into the lounge and stake out your territory. On the Lake Shore, my girlfriend and I staked out a pair of seats and a table in the lounge and occupied it the rest of the trip early in the morning. There is too much to see on the EB for you to want to stay in your room.

Besides, half the fun of train travel is the social aspect of it. Train travel encourages conversation. We met several fascinating people on our Chicago trip a few days ago. The trips aren't complete without meeting at least one bizarre character.

Coming into Chicago on the Capitol Limited, we were an hour and 40 minutes late. I sat there in the Sightseer, feet up on the foot rail, Cognac on the rocks in my hand, chatting with a few coach passengers from the south, and wishing we were even later. To me, the social aspect, the comfort, the view, and the care-free, no stress atmosphere is what makes the train the last truly civilized way to travel.

Aloha

My ride on the EB was Eastbound in roomette. I don't think there is a better side. Except for meals, and sleeping I spent the rest of the time in the Lounge enjoying time with fellow travelers and taking pictures from both sides. There is a Empire gallery on my picture site. You are welcome to check them out here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back