Is Dallas downtown safe?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingee

OBS Chief
Planning on going to Dallas on the train in a couple weeks. Staying at Hotel Lawrence. After reading about the shooting by the train station (or in it), it got me wondering on the safety of staying there. Any feedback?

Planning on going to Dallas on the train in a couple weeks. Staying at Hotel Lawrence. After reading about the shooting by the train station (or in it), it got me wondering on the safety of staying there. Any feedback?
Hotel Lawrence is literally a stone's throw away from Union Station. A distance that short would be safe to walk even in the shadiest neighborhood of any city. That being said, I have walked around downtown at night a couple of times and it is quite lively and quite safe, especially along Commerce and Main Streets. If you are going to Dallas anytime now, do go for a walk along Commerce Street.. there are holiday lights put up all along the street. Check out the photo below. Doesn't look unsafe, does it? :)

img5374filtered.jpg

Downtown Dallas on the night before Thanksgiving, 2011.

That part of downtown is a tourist area so there are usually a lot of people around and often there are police within sight. As far as the shooting on the train, one could look at it as proof that there is a police presence in the vicinity of the station.

Most of downtown Dallas is quite safe during the day. At night, I would stick to common rules you would follow anywhere - well lit, busy areas around the hotel, Union Station, the West End, etc. - basically from the Station to North of where you will be staying. Deep Ellum is OK, but take DART or a cab to get there. There is quite a homeless population to the South of City Hall. West, on the other side of the highways, are the jails and endless bailbond houses. I know I have felt uncomfortable in some areas on the SE side of town.

There have been times where I have felt quite uncomfortable, but generally those times have been unwarranted.

Last edited by a moderator:
West End has a lot of choices. For reasonably priced, I like taking my family to the Spaghetti Warehouse. The first TGIFridays is located next door to it.

Downtown Dallas is relatively safe, as far as major U.S. cities go; you have to take the normal precautions you would anywhere in America. The Lawrence hotel is nice, but they may still have a cricket problem, an infestation that is common in the area.

Any really close reasonably priced restaurants for dinner?
While you can easily get dinner (supper) taken care of in the West End, be sure to try Cindi's New York Deli, which is right Kitty Korner to Union Station, for breakfast/lunch. The portions are massive and the prices not too bad. And you can get Baked Goodies to go for the train.

A cricket problem in Hotel Lawrence? I haven't seen that in any of the reviews. Is this something new?

Delli sounds good. I am printing these off to remember them. Thanks

Park West? Is that the same place as the new Omni hotel that I just saw. Unsafe? Which would be better to stay at? Hotel Lawrence or Omni?

Park West? Is that the same place as the new Omni hotel that I just saw. Unsafe? Which would be better to stay at? Hotel Lawrence or Omni?
Comparing apples to fruitcake here.....omni os over $200 per night....Lawrence about 75 bucks.

Omni has a special for $111 a night. Which is more walkable to different places? We have a suite at the Lawrence for $93.

Lawrence is way closer to Union Station, but Omni is brand new and for 8 bucks might be worth the walk....or you can catch a DART train (either red or blue line) and get out at convention center stop, which is right by the Omni. However, depending on your arrival date, you might want to check availability for the $111 rate @ Omni, they have extremely few rooms on that special rate....extremely few.

As for walking to "places" both offer things to do/see within walking distance.

I guess I should do a google map on it. I have a feeling my husband wants to stay in Hotel Lawrence since we read "that it is haunted". I ordered him a couple books on places that are haunted in Dallas. Last year we took a train to N.O. and stayed in a former military hospital and he enjoyed that along with relatives in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back