Is an NARP membership worth it for one trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Longhorn

Train Attendant
Our trip will be approximately $775. Is the 10 percent discount off of everything or just the train fare (not including roomette?) I don't know when we'll get to take a train again and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to join to get the discount on one trip. It's $45 for a family membership.

It looks like AAA would not save us the cost of the membership.

Thanks!

I was just in a similar situation and decided to join just for the discount. My (solo) trip was $486 altogether, and the NARP individual membership is $35, so for my $35 I saved $48.60 on the trip. I don't know if it was the best way to go or not, but the numbers made sense to me. I'll try to book at least one more relatively long trip in the next year too to make it doubly worth it.

EDIT: My trip is just coach so the sleeper question didn't apply to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not trying to discourage you from joining NARP, but if you're only looking at the discount amount, you may want to consider AAA. The NARP discount is 10% off, the AAA discount is also 10% off. And you will have AAA coverage that you could use for the whole year!

I'm not trying to discourage you from joining NARP, but if you're only looking at the discount amount, you may want to consider AAA. The NARP discount is 10% off, the AAA discount is also 10% off. And you will have AAA coverage that you could use for the whole year!
AAA Coverage????

I joined NARP for the difference it is trying to make for Amtrak (or rail travel period). The discount is just an extra feature I enjoy.

I joined NARP for the difference it is trying to make for Amtrak (or rail travel period). The discount is just an extra feature I enjoy.
Same here. My Student Advantage card gets me 15% off, so I have yet to utilize the NARP discount yet.

Remember, for all of you who care about passenger train service in the United States, NARP's main function is to act as a pro rail lobby to preserve, promote and expand rail passenger service in the US. All other transportation modes have powerful lobbies that have since garnered a large piece of the federal pie. A decision to join and support NARP is a decision to move passenger rail forward in the U.S. It will require a grass roots effort by dedicated citizens like us to make it happen. Please don't look at NARP selfishly, soley as a means for a discount. Think of a membership as doing your part in moving this ever pressing effort forward.

Steve L

I have heard that AAA tends to lobby against rail projects. Is there any truth to this?
Wouldn't surprise me. As far as motorist lobbying organizations go, I much prefer the National Motorists Association (NMA). I've never heard anything anti-rail out of them, and they're for things like getting rid of photo radar, setting reasonable speed limits (not politically motivated artificially low ones), educating the public about lane courtesy, etc.

As far as rail discounts--I will probably someday join NARP, but I'm waiting until Student Advantage stops allowing me to renew my membership (they may never!). They're not really all that strict on who can apply, so if you just want something for the Amtrak discount, their $20 membership gives you a 15% discount off of the rail fare (not the accomodation charge), and you may be able to get it (if you're long gone from school, put your old alma mater in if they ask for it...). If not, NARP is a good organization (from what I've heard), and you should feel good supporting them even if you don't end up with a lot of money back from the discount...

There is a lot more to NARP than just a way to get a discount. That is a nice benefit, but what you really get from membership is your voice added to the choir of rail advocacy, and in this climate of rising fuel costs, traffic congestion and environmental concerns that is not an insignificant stand to make. Nobody else serves the interests of rail passengers as closely as NARP does and your membership helps us all in that respect.

NARP does an excellent job of keeping members and lawmakers current on the latest in passenger rail related issues through a monthly newsletter, emails and an informative website (to include tracking your representatives' voting record concerning passenger rail service). Your membership helps them to continue their important work and we can see the results in such things as the recently passed Amtrak reauthorization bills in the Senate and House.

Try to think of it as more than just what's in it for you personnaly...your membership can contribute to the greater good for all Americans.

Your membership in NARP would certainly be welcomed! :)

I have heard that AAA tends to lobby against rail projects. Is there any truth to this?
Wouldn't surprise me.
I wouldn't be so quick to judge.

Found on the Web:

"Auto club warns of crisis in California

"A looming mobility crisis in Southern California will render longer work commutes, goods and services delivery delays, and restricted leisure travel according to a report by the Automobile Club of Southern California, the largest affiliate of the AAA. The group recommended five steps to deal with the state’s transportation future – one was finding better alternatives to the automobile."

Furthermore, in their Magazine (for CSAA, the Northern California Chapter) they prominently feature both articles and advertisements in favour of Rail Travel.

I agree about the benefits, other than discount, of joining the NARP. However, I purchased my tickets for our trip today without joining. May I assume it's too late to get the discount even if I joined now?

I agree about the benefits, other than discount, of joining the NARP. However, I purchased my tickets for our trip today without joining. May I assume it's too late to get the discount even if I joined now?
It's too late in that you can't retroactively apply a discount.

However, Amtrak tickets are fully refundable, so all you need to do is book another reservation with the discount (after you've joined, of course, and making sure your total is less than your previous one) and then cancel your old ones. (Or reverse this...but then you risk losing whatever bucket you originally booked in.)

If they've already mailed the tickets, it gets a little more complicated, but if you opted to pick your tickets up from the station, you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back