Is Amsnag down today.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cassie225

Trying to book Crescent from New Orlean to Newark in November. Went to Amsnag as Amtrak prices for date I put in is 892 for a roomette. I have flexible travel dates and would like a bedroom. Went to Amsnag and got error. Is it down today? Thanks in advance. Also isn't that kinda high for a roomette???

As far as I can tell, Amsnag is currently not functioning. It is hoped that Paul can get it up and running again as it has helped so many Amtrak travelers .

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the same issue which was reported in this thread:

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/56871-amsnag-not-broken-with-new-web-design

It appears there was a database issue at that time. The returned error was similar, and is currently occurring for me as well.
You are correct. My hosting service disabled MYSQL and as soon as I brought it to their attention, it was fixed. I'll have to contact them again.

In the meantime I've backed it up to a free hosting service at

http://biketrain.x10.mx/amsnag/amSnag.php

I just received a fare alert so apparently the back end is still working. The front end is reporting the error at the top of the thread. The fare watch feature on the backup site is returning a 404 error, so logging in apparently is unavailable, but fares can be successfully searched from the front page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amsnag seems to be working again, also the Fare Watch is back online ... just one question: It doesnt seem to be possible to get fare alerts for fares of 2 People, right?

Amsnag seems to be working again, also the Fare Watch is back online ... just one question: It doesnt seem to be possible to get fare alerts for fares of 2 People, right?
Right. Nor does it do discounts. It only retrieves the current coach fare and sleeping car and first class or business class supplements which corresponds to the old Amtrak fare page. You have to do the arithmetic.

If I ever figure out the new fare page and Amtrak's "2 people bug" gets fixed, then perhaps it could satisfy your request.

Oh, I think Amsnag is a great tool :) BTW, if the fare for a Bedroom for 1 person drops, does it also mean its cheaper for 2 people?

Oh, I think Amsnag is a great tool :) BTW, if the fare for a Bedroom for 1 person drops, does it also mean its cheaper for 2 people?
Yes. The only thing that can change with a roomette is the cost of the roomette itself (which is the same no matter how many people are in it;) the "rail fare" portion that is charged per person stays constant.

Same old MYSQLI problem. This time I got the following response from the service ticket"

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Please have e check now.

Anybody have a clue what this means? Anybody know of a reasonably priced, functioning web hosting service?

In the meantime

http://biketrain.x10.mx/amsnag/amSnag.php

still works.

If I may ask, who do you use right now?
host-ed.net personal plan.

The response time and reliability (except the MYSQLI extension's disappearance) has been fine. But like a lot of businesses, when you do have a problem, their tech support is obstinate. You never know whether you are dealing with a human or an automated artificial (un)intelligence system.

I believe it is based in Schleswig-holstein, Germany, but claims to have a server in Texas (maybe that's the problem :) ). I'm about to try communicating with tech support auf Deutsch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back