Is a transition sleeper roomette worth high bucket rates?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmbgeg

Engineer
I travelled on EB train 732 yesterday in a roomette. I paid high bucket (more than I often pay for a deluxe bedroom on the same route). This is the first time in three years I travelled in a roomette and not a deluxe bedroom. Here are some observations:

-Sleeping car attendents were scarce. The only time I saw one was when he made up my bed in the morning (it was down when I boarded).

-The roomettes were not even close to cosmetically pleasant. They were clean but the fabrics were worn and faded. Common areas were likewise.

-No towels for the shower on 732 when I boarded. In the morning, I searched downstairs and in the luggage rack, and found one orphan bath towel.

-No morning newspaper service; unlike regular sleepers.

-No room in the luggage rack for passenger luggage. Full of Amtrak stuff.

I was one of only two non-crew passengers in the transition sleeper on the leg of the EB that I travelled.

I did like having a shower upstairs and it was right next to my roomette. I also liked the peace and quiet of the low passenger count in the car.

My opinion from the condition of the transition sleeper and level of service delivered is that transition roomettes should be low bucket economy rooms when sold, regardless of the purchase date and room inventory. Any other opinions out there is AUland?

I travelled on EB train 732 yesterday in a roomette. I paid high bucket (more than I often pay for a deluxe bedroom on the same route). This is the first time in three years I travelled in a roomette and not a deluxe bedroom.
My opinion from the condition of the transition sleeper and level of service delivered is that transition roomettes should be low bucket economy rooms when sold, regardless of the purchase date and room inventory. Any other opinions out there is AUland?
I agree, the transition sleeper often suffers due to the fact that the SCA has to attend 2 cars and sometimes three. The crew take care of their own rooms and are expected to keep the shower/bathroom clean, not a lot of tips available either for the SCA when only a few roomettes are sold in the trans-dorm.

Id say that they should be low bucket also, according to Alan they are sold last when the other sleeprs are full, BTW were the H rooms and family rooms also full on this train?

We tend to get the old/tired/worn cars down here on the TE/CONO (they run through again!)and Sunset, Im surprised that the Builder got old cars since they are supposed to be "Enhanced Sleepers" but guess the crew doesnt rate an "enhanced sleeper". Dont think Id pay high bucket for this but then Im a poor retired person who often has to travel on rail passes and scratch together points for AGR trips in sleepers! ;) Perhaps you might want to contact Amtrak CR and get a voucher, @ least let them know your idea which IMO has merit! (I remember meeting on the CS from LAX-PDX the day the sleeper on #28 was bad ordered, you stayed in PDX, I went on to SPK in coach, did get a nice voucher and points refund from AGR for this!I've only traveled in a bedroom once on this train from SEA-CHI, it was pretty nice for sure! :D )

Last edited by a moderator:
I travelled on EB train 732 yesterday in a roomette. I paid high bucket (more than I often pay for a deluxe bedroom on the same route). This is the first time in three years I travelled in a roomette and not a deluxe bedroom.
I agree, the transition sleeper often suffers due to the fact that the SCA has to attend 2 cars and sometimes three. The crew take care of their own rooms and are expected to keep the shower/bathroom clean, not a lot of tips available either for the SCA when only a few roomettes are sold in the trans-dorm.

Id say that they should be low bucket also, according to Alan they are sold last when the other sleeprs are full, BTW were the H rooms and family rooms also full on this train?

We tend to get the old/tired/worn cars down here on the TE/CONO (they run through again!)and Sunset, Im surprised that the Builder got old cars since they are supposed to be "Enhanced Sleepers" but guess the crew doesnt rate an "enhanced sleeper". Dont think Id pay high bucket for this but then Im a poor retired person who often has to travel on rail passes and scratch together points for AGR trips in sleepers! ;) Perhaps you might want to contact Amtrak CR and get a voucher, @ least let them know your idea which IMO has merit! (I remember meeting on the CS from LAX-PDX the day the sleeper on #28 was bad ordered, you stayed in PDX, I went on to SPK in coach, did get a nice voucher and points refund from AGR for this!I've only traveled in a bedroom once on this train from SEA-CHI, it was pretty nice for sure! :D )
Hi again Jim. Good comments. I went back down to LAX and spent a week in Santa Monica. 80 degrees and sunny. I cancelled a trip that week to Florida, when it was 35-40 degrees there at the time. Ugly. Good choice. My most recent trip before this short Seattle trip was a SPK-LVS business trip. Back to SPK from SEA today on EB 830. Getting within striking distance of 2011 Select Plus and it is not the end of February.

I may comment to Amtrak Customer Relations about the value vs. pricing as relates to transition sleepers, but probably won't hammer them on the service issues. If the SCA had a full regular sleeper to attend to and only two solo passengers in the transition sleeper, I understand where the priorities lie, and were appropriately focused.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the SCA had a full regular sleeper to attend to and only two solo passengers in the transition sleeper, I understand where the priorities lie, and were appropriately focused.
The problem with that thinking is that you know the intricacies of how their job works and are more sympathetic to their deficiencies. It shouldn't matter how many people are on the train and where your room is at, the product/experience should be consistent across the board. If the current employee can't do the full job then they need to find an employee that can do the entire job themselves or hire more help.

I travelled on EB train 732 yesterday in a roomette. I paid high bucket (more than I often pay for a deluxe bedroom on the same route). This is the first time in three years I travelled in a roomette and not a deluxe bedroom. Here are some observations:
-Sleeping car attendents were scarce. The only time I saw one was when he made up my bed in the morning (it was down when I boarded).

-The roomettes were not even close to cosmetically pleasant. They were clean but the fabrics were worn and faded. Common areas were likewise.

-No towels for the shower on 732 when I boarded. In the morning, I searched downstairs and in the luggage rack, and found one orphan bath towel.

I was one of only two non-crew passengers in the transition sleeper on the leg of the EB that I travelled.

I did like having a shower upstairs and it was right next to my roomette. I also liked the peace and quiet of the low passenger count in the car.

To supplement my original post (rather than edit):

-No coffee station, juice or ice in the transition sleeper.

Jmbgeg, who was your SCA?

Yes, typically the transition-dorm is slightly less convenient than being in the regular *30 or *31 car. Coffee and juice, etc.. are in the main car. It's farther away from the dining car. The trans-dorm is generally attributed with being quieter.

We tend to get the old/tired/worn cars down here on the TE/CONO (they run through again!)and Sunset, Im surprised that the Builder got old cars since they are supposed to be "Enhanced Sleepers" but guess the crew doesnt rate an "enhanced sleeper".
While you're correct that the EB sleepers are supposed to be the rebuilt Superliner I sleepers, the Trans/Dorms are Superliner II cars. Amtrak hasn't yet embarked on a rebuild for the Superliner II cars which are much younger than the Superliner I's. Not to mention that Amtrak hasn't even finished rebuilding the Superliner I's, and with the program on hold/cancelled, they aren't likely to finish the Superliner I's any time soon.

While we always were able to book a clean bedroom; I don't believe that they clean those transition sleeper roomettes very well. I got into that car once and looked in at some of the vacant roomettes and it looked like there were semen stains on the rug. I don't know about you but I don't want to be in a roomette with someone elses semen. Yucccch!

Hi again Jim. Good comments. I went back down to LAX and spent a week in Santa Monica. 80 degrees and sunny. I cancelled a trip that week to Florida, when it was 35-40 degrees there at the time. Ugly. Good choice. My most recent trip before this short Seattle trip was a SPK-LVS business trip. Back to SPK from SEA today on EB 830. Getting within striking distance of 2011 Select Plus and it is not the end of February.

I may comment to Amtrak Customer Relations about the value vs. pricing as relates to transition sleepers, but probably won't hammer them on the service issues. If the SCA had a full regular sleeper to attend to and only two solo passengers in the transition sleeper, I understand where the priorities lie, and were appropriately focused.
My handicapped son and I were placed in a transdorm accessible room at the last minute on the eastbound CL out of CHI when the door to our original room was found to be broken. Amtrak had to have a crew member move out of the room so we could use it while the train was waiting to depart CHI. We were the only revenue pax in the car. The SCA, Carlos, suddenly had us added to his workload. And we needed meals brought to our room and a wake-up to get off in PGH.

Carlos was OUTSTANDING. He took our dinner order early enough that I was able to get the entree special before it was sold out. When he saw Matthew had fallen asleep in his adaptive stroller after supper he volunteered to lift him into the bottom bunk for me. Carlos also woke us up in plenty of time for the PGH stop and helped me lift my half-awake son out of bed, too. Carlos also explained that the transdorm call button would not flash in his room in the next car. So he told me to go to the conductor's room in the trans dorm and have the conductor page him if we needed help during the night. We didn't need to, but I appreciated the advice. Other pax riding in transdorm might keep that in mind when trying to get in contact with the SCA.

Bottom line - our ride in the transdorm H room was worth every penny - high bucket or low. All the equipment worked and was adequately clean. The staff service was extraordinary even without an opportunity to prep for our special needs. So riding in the transdorm doesn't have to be a lesser experience.

Jmbgeg, who was your SCA?
Yes, typically the transition-dorm is slightly less convenient than being in the regular *30 or *31 car. Coffee and juice, etc.. are in the main car. It's farther away from the dining car. The trans-dorm is generally attributed with being quieter.

I don't remember the SCA giving me his name. Friendly and professional the brief time that I interacted with him.

The only way I knew I was going to be in a transition sleeper was that I asked this board where roomette 18 was. No disclosure from Amtrak.

It would be helpful if Amtrak had an in room transition sleeper facts sheet for paying passengers on rules and what to expect. Information like 1) coffee, juice and ice available in the adjacent sleeper car 2) where to find towels 3) SCA services an adjacent car but is available to you 4) where showers are located 5) stay out of areas marked Crew Only, 6) etc...

It would be helpful if Amtrak had an in room transition sleeper facts sheet for paying passengers on rules and what to expect. Information like 1) coffee, juice and ice available in the adjacent sleeper car 2) where to find towels 3) SCA services an adjacent car but is available to you 4) where showers are located 5) stay out of areas marked Crew Only, 6) etc...

OK, I know I'm "new here" but this "product" is obviously NOT the same as all those roomettes in the regular cars, especially if the selling agency would have to give out some sort of information as to what to expect...yet selling these for the same or higher prices than the others? Sorry, not a good business practice. yeah, I like riding trains as MUCH as anyone but when there's obviously not value for money, well...

Is a transdorm worth the high bucket price?? Sounds like you get less for the money, but the alternative is not a room in a regular sleeper rather the alternative is coach or no train at all.

I think that puts things in a different perspective

We tend to get the old/tired/worn cars down here on the TE/CONO (they run through again!)and Sunset, Im surprised that the Builder got old cars since they are supposed to be "Enhanced Sleepers" but guess the crew doesnt rate an "enhanced sleeper".
While you're correct that the EB sleepers are supposed to be the rebuilt Superliner I sleepers, the Trans/Dorms are Superliner II cars. Amtrak hasn't yet embarked on a rebuild for the Superliner II cars which are much younger than the Superliner I's. Not to mention that Amtrak hasn't even finished rebuilding the Superliner I's, and with the program on hold/cancelled, they aren't likely to finish the Superliner I's any time soon.
Did they cancel rebuilds? Is that in anticipation of replacing the cars with new cars? I thought refurbs were an ongoing process for all cars in service up until they were near retirement, and I don't see any Superliner I's getting retired anytime real soon?

Is a transdorm worth the high bucket price?? Sounds like you get less for the money, but the alternative is not a room in a regular sleeper rather the alternative is coach or no train at all.
That's one way of looking at it. Another way to look at it is to consider that if the transdorm rooms were value priced, they may have sold a significantly higher percentage of the transdorm rooms they made available for sale than the two they sold on my leg.

That's one way of looking at it. Another way to look at it is to consider that if the transdorm rooms were value priced, they may have sold a significantly higher percentage of the transdorm rooms they made available for sale than the two they sold on my leg.
I agree with this. If its a slightly less nice product, then sell it at a cheaper price and really maximize the rooms sold, rather than selling them at the highest bucket and with a quality that is less than in the regular cars.

If I was in the OPs shoes, I would absolutely write a letter to amtrak customer service and make this suggestion. That being said, if amtrak is selling the rooms in the transdorm with the expectation that customers should be getting the same service as those in the regular sleeper cars, then the feedback from the OP is necessary so that they know that customers aren't receiving the expected service level.

I have traveled in the transdorm twice with wildly different experiences. I have also had a varietly of quality and comfort levels when traveling in the traditional sleepers.

On the EB, it was a great experience. The attendent was courteous, friendly and helpful. She did a great job even though the transdorm revenue rooms were completely sold as well as her adjoining car. I'm not a coffee drinker, so I didn't care that it was a few steps away and I just grabbed some water each time I was traveling back from the diner or lounge. I enjoyed having multiple bathrooms and showers close by on the upper level. Great trip.

On the Chief, I experienced two horrible days and nights. I never saw the attendent after I boarded and I had to assist other passengers make up their beds. I contacted Amtrak when I got home and they sent me a voucher. I would urge anyone who has a bad experience to always make that call.

The truth is, the onboard staff completely makes or breaks your trip and you never know who'll you'll get regardless of the room location of fare level paid.

In reading here, typically only a couple of roomettes in the transdorm are sold to passengers. Sorry, I really don't "buy it" that a SCA having just one or two additional roomettes to attend, puts them over the breaking point. In other words, there is no excuse for not getting the same level of service from your assigned SCA when in the transdorm. If you aren't, the conductor's (or the LSA's) quarters should be real handy to just stop by and offer a complaint.

Another way to look at it is to consider that if the transdorm rooms were value priced, they may have sold a significantly higher percentage of the transdorm rooms they made available for sale than the two they sold on my leg.
You make a good point, but what Amtrak does with the Bucket System is just the antithesis of Value Pricing - what is the difference in value between a low bucket and a high bucket bedroom roomette or coach seat? NOTHING, just a difference in price.

If I been assigned to the roomette that you were in, I would be pissed and I would be contacting Customer Service just as you are doing. However, when you talk to Amtrak about value pricing, I think you are on thin ice.

Did they cancel rebuilds? Is that in anticipation of replacing the cars with new cars? I thought refurbs were an ongoing process for all cars in service up until they were near retirement, and I don't see any Superliner I's getting retired anytime real soon?
I don't think that I've ever seen anything that official confirmed that they canceled the program, it just dropped off the radar screens as it were. In August of 2006, Beech Grove released the 41st remanufactured Superliner I sleeper out of 44 total Superliner I sleepers that are still active. BG was scheduled to do 18 in that fiscal year, which ended on September 31st of 2006. The project as of August had released 16 and was 2 behind at that point. With the September report, the final for that year, they state that they had released 17 sleepers for that year, but failed to note what number if any was released in September. They do make note that one Superliner sleeper is damaged, but they don't say what they're doing about that.

Starting with the new fiscal year in October of 2006, the project listing is off the reports.

So I can only assume that they cancelled the project with the start of fiscal 2007, which was long before the currently released new equipment plan and that the promise of new equipment had nothing to do with canceling the project.

Amtrak does continue to do basic work on all cars, things like new carpeting, new seat cushions, and stuff like that. But there are no programs that literally strip the car more or less bare, then install new carpeting, wall paneling, new bathrooms, new lighting, and such like the Remanufacture program was doing.

I am the OP now commenting on the responses above from the board.

IMHO, too much focus has centered on the service aspect (how much time the SCA spent servicing the transition sleeper). My opinion of value of the transition dorm rooms is largely drawn from my observations of the physical condition of the transition dorm and the limited amenities available in that car (not nearby), comparative to standard sleeper cars. What the SCA did or did not do is a sidebar issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back