Insomnia

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I am over 50...maybe that's why I can't sleep? Would earplugs have helped in your situation? If I can go to the lounge and read or hook, then I'll be content. I hope your next trip is better for you. I'm really looking forward to my first one, although I was reading some older discussions and now I have a fear of the trestles. Hopefully we'll cross then when I'm not looking.
Bad Typo, BAD BAD TYPO :eek:
It's not a typo...I'm a hooker. Arug hooker.

Well, now, you people just have your minds in the gutter! :lol: I immediately saw that as doing needlework (not that rug-hooking is something one sees ladies doing too often on trains, but ....)
You're right, Sue. I hook when I can't sleep. But that sounds bad, doesn't it? Forget I ever mentioned it...

Well, now, you people just have your minds in the gutter! :lol: I immediately saw that as doing needlework (not that rug-hooking is something one sees ladies doing too often on trains, but ....)
You're right, Sue. I hook when I can't sleep. But that sounds bad, doesn't it? Forget I ever mentioned it...
No, no, that's perfectly OK -- I've seen people in the lounge knitting and doing other sorts of needlework, probably often for the same reason. I knew what you meant -- these guys were just teasing you .... :huh:

No, no, that's perfectly OK -- I've seen people in the lounge knitting and doing other sorts of needlework, probably often for the same reason. I knew what you meant -- these guys were just teasing you .... :huh:
Aloha

I am a guy that might not have known the reference "Hooking a Rug" in the movie "cocoon" But I must say I had a great laugh when I saw the "so called correction"

Mahalo

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can't sleep there are a number of safe herbal sleep aids that may help. Alteril, Bachs Rescue Sleep and Chamomile tea can sometimes work wonders. I've gotten great results with all three.
The Rescue Sleep sounds like just the thing: 27% Grape Based Brandy as a preservative. ;)

You only spray a few shots on the tongue so I doubt if its just the brandy in Rescue Sleep but the Brandy does make it taste good. . There are a bunch of flower herbs in that stuff and thats where serious drugs are dervied from. Usually a cup of Chalomile Tea followed by a few sprays in the mouth of Bachs Rescue Sleep puts me to sleep in short order. If not the Alteril is the more powerful next step. Its made from Triptophan, Velerian Root and Melatonin.
Just a friendly ribbing.

My problem is I'll wake up at 3AM and not be able to get back to sleep for an hour or 2. Laying awake in a roomette upper I eventually get claustrophobic. Think I'm going to need more brandy...or get my Dr to fix me up for the next trip.

Well, I am over 50...maybe that's why I can't sleep? Would earplugs have helped in your situation? If I can go to the lounge and read or hook, then I'll be content. I hope your next trip is better for you. I'm really looking forward to my first one, although I was reading some older discussions and now I have a fear of the trestles. Hopefully we'll cross then when I'm not looking.
Bad Typo, BAD BAD TYPO :eek:
It's not a typo...I'm a hooker. Arug hooker.
Oh. A rug hooker. Much better.

Just a little gentle ribbing - I couldn't resist. Actually I thought of something else but it was too close to insulting. I didn't want to go there.

Friends??

I have a hell of a time trying to sleep on a train in coach. If it's a trip that will take a full day or will stretch into the night I either buy a sleeper room or I simply don't take the train and will fly instead. The real problem comes when you're crossing the Atlantic or Pacific Oceans. In those cases I've had flight segments that lasted up to thirteen hours in one go and since I can't afford a $7,000 first class ticket for a lie-flat seat I have had to resort to other measures.

1. I cut back on my sleep the night before my trip.

2. I don't consume any coffee or tea or other stimulants.

3. I take a couple diphenhydramine tablets at bedtime.

4. I might have a couple alcoholic beverages "just in case."

5. I use some earplugs and a sleeping mask and I'm out.

Works like a charm.

I have a hell of a time trying to sleep on a train in coach. If it's a trip that will take a full day or will stretch into the night I either buy a sleeper room or I simply don't take the train and will fly instead. The real problem comes when you're crossing the Atlantic or Pacific Oceans. In those cases I've had flight segments that lasted up to thirteen hours in one go and since I can't afford a $7,000 first class ticket for a lie-flat seat I have had to resort to other measures.

Works like a charm.
Diphenhydramine = Benadryl. Tried that on the last LD trip with mixed results. That's why I'm going to my Dr the next time. Booze doesn't help either. Got the earplugs.

One thing I have done is I got an external DVD drive for my netbook so I can watch movies in the roomette upper. The drive will be velcroed to the netbook lid. I have a dvd player, but why bring another screen when I can use the netbook which I bring anyway? If I end up wide awake at 3AM I'll just pop in the earphones and entertain myself with a movie, probably put me to sleep.

Just a little gentle ribbing - I couldn't resist. Actually I thought of something else but it was too close to insulting. I didn't want to go there.
Friends??

If you were talking to me, then of course!

Do your fellow passengers a large favor and do not keep your overhead light on half or most of the night reading. Either get a really small battery or otherwise reading light or go to the lounge or somewhere there is some light anyway if you want to read.

Works like a charm.
Diphenhydramine = Benadryl. Tried that on the last LD trip with mixed results. That's why I'm going to my Dr the next time. Booze doesn't help either. Got the earplugs.

One thing I have done is I got an external DVD drive for my netbook so I can watch movies in the roomette upper. The drive will be velcroed to the netbook lid. I have a dvd player, but why bring another screen when I can use the netbook which I bring anyway? If I end up wide awake at 3AM I'll just pop in the earphones and entertain myself with a movie, probably put me to sleep.
Have you tried a movie on your netbook yet? I tried it on my last trip and towards the end of the movie the USB DVD drive couldn't keep up and kept sputtering. I've now purchased a DVD ripping program to save movies to the hard drive. You might want to check into it before your trip. It'll help save your battery as well.

As far as sleeping, on my first EB trip a few years ago, I didn't know how my stomach would react to the constant motion of the train, so I took one less-drowsy Dramamine (1-2 is a normal dose) before boarding in MSP, and I could barely stay awake anytime I tried to read, even during the day. On the other hand, on both west-bound trips on the EB, I was awake in the middle of the night at the same area, along a river in Idaho. Really pretty in the moonlight, but I sure wish I'd been asleep instead.

I second the suggestion to stay away from the caffeine if you can. Avoiding the alcohol isn't a bad idea either, as it can cause an opposite effect a few hours later and keep you awake. But everybody's different in that area.

Have you tried a movie on your netbook yet? I tried it on my last trip and towards the end of the movie the USB DVD drive couldn't keep up and kept sputtering. I've now purchased a DVD ripping program to save movies to the hard drive. You might want to check into it before your trip. It'll help save your battery as well.
As far as sleeping, on my first EB trip a few years ago, I didn't know how my stomach would react to the constant motion of the train, so I took one less-drowsy Dramamine (1-2 is a normal dose) before boarding in MSP, and I could barely stay awake anytime I tried to read, even during the day. On the other hand, on both west-bound trips on the EB, I was awake in the middle of the night at the same area, along a river in Idaho. Really pretty in the moonlight, but I sure wish I'd been asleep instead.

I second the suggestion to stay away from the caffeine if you can. Avoiding the alcohol isn't a bad idea either, as it can cause an opposite effect a few hours later and keep you awake. But everybody's different in that area.
Haven't watched a whole movie on the DVD drive yet. Guess I'd better check it out.

What program do you use for ripping? The ones I've tried are blocked by the movie security measures.

I'm a one-cuppa-coffee man, in the AM with breakfast. Maybe a beer or glass of wine at dinner but no more than that while training.

What program do you use for ripping? The ones I've tried are blocked by the movie security measures.
The one that works the most consistently is probably AnyDVD. For Mac there's always Mac the Ripper. Here is a list from lifehacker that covers the usual suspects. It's a little outdated but I've been using the same tools all this time and haven't had to make any changes recently. Be sure to look over the comments section as well. Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
The one that works the most consistently is probably AnyDVD. For Mac there's always Mac the Ripper. Here is a list from lifehacker that covers the usual suspects. It's a little outdated but I've been using the same tools all this time and haven't had to make any changes recently. Be sure to look over the comments section as well. Hope that helps!
Wow, looks good, thanks for the tip!

Do your fellow passengers a large favor and do not keep your overhead light on half or most of the night reading. Either get a really small battery or otherwise reading light or go to the lounge or somewhere there is some light anyway if you want to read.
No, I would never do that, that's why I asked if there was somewhere else I could go to read. Quite a few people suggested the lounge. And I should probably ask for an aisle seat in coach, too. Thanks for everyone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back