Insomnia

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kay

Train Attendant
Another question from a first-time Amtrak rider. I get insomnia a lot. I'll be in a coach seat, by myself, on a trip from Minneapolis to Portland with 2 overnights. Is there anywhere I can go on this train (the Empire Builder) in the middle of the night if I can't sleep and want to read? Tylenol PM usually doesn't work for me, either. Thanks.

Another question from a first-time Amtrak rider. I get insomnia a lot. I'll be in a coach seat, by myself, on a trip from Minneapolis to Portland with 2 overnights. Is there anywhere I can go on this train (the Empire Builder) in the middle of the night if I can't sleep and want to read? Tylenol PM usually doesn't work for me, either. Thanks.
You can always go to the sightseer lounge, upper or lower level, anytime day or night. I would recommend bringing a book light as some areas are dimly lit at night as I recall. Keep in mind though that the concessions close overnight, so you won't be able to get anything after a certain time, they'll let you know on board what the hours are.

Have a great trip!

There are individual overhead lights that you can click on above your seat (like on an airplane) so you could read in your coach seat. You could also go down to the sightseer lounge car. Every once in awhile you will hear of a crew that boots everyone out at a certain time, but most trips I have been on there are "lounge lizards" in there at all hours of the day and night and you could find a booth or seat to sit and read. Maybe- just maybe- the rocking and rolling rythmn of the train might be just the thing you need to cure your insomnia! Have a great trip!

There are individual overhead lights that you can click on above your seat (like on an airplane) so you could read in your coach seat. You could also go down to the sightseer lounge car. Every once in awhile you will hear of a crew that boots everyone out at a certain time, but most trips I have been on there are "lounge lizards" in there at all hours of the day and night and you could find a booth or seat to sit and read. Maybe- just maybe- the rocking and rolling rythmn of the train might be just the thing you need to cure your insomnia! Have a great trip!

I agree, the lounge is probably the best spot for night owls, thats where I almost always end up spending my nights. I am remember on the last trip I took, I spent literally all night in the lounge, sort of had a party with the others in there, lol. I wasnt aware they would ask you to leave.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can always go to the sightseer lounge, upper or lower level, anytime day or night. I would recommend bringing a book light as some areas are dimly lit at night as I recall. Keep in mind though that the concessions close overnight, so you won't be able to get anything after a certain time, they'll let you know on board what the hours are.
Have a great trip!
I was hoping there would be somewhere to go. Thanks for your help and for the tip on taking a light.

Thanks for your help. The lounge sounds good to me. And maybe I will be able to sleep, but I've never been able to sleep in anything that moves. Maybe I'll be surprised.

I agree, the lounge is probably the best spot for night owls, thats where I almost always end up spending my nights. I am remember on the last trip I took, I spent literally all night in the lounge, sort of had a party with the others in there, lol. I wasnt aware they would ask you to leave.
Well, this brings up another question...can you take your own snacks and drinks into the lounge?

Well, this brings up another question...can you take your own snacks and drinks into the lounge?
Officially, you're not supposed to bring anything not purchased on the train into the Dining Car or Lounge Car, but that usually is not strictly enforced in the lounge car! ;)

Most nights at home, I usually stay up until like 2 or 3 AM. However the easy movements of the train lulls me to sleep like 10 or 11 PM! And I get better sleep on a train than I do at home! ;)

I've always heard announcements to the fact your own food and non adult beverages are alright in the Upper Level of the Sightseer, but only "Amfood" may be consumed in the Lower Level where the counter is located.

If you can't sleep there are a number of safe herbal sleep aids that may help. Alteril, Bachs Rescue Sleep and Chamomile tea can sometimes work wonders. I've gotten great results with all three.
The Rescue Sleep sounds like just the thing: 27% Grape Based Brandy as a preservative. ;)

My knockout when I can't sleep on the train is usually a double of some high-proof liquor (usually a whiskey of one form or another). Then you just gently walk up and down the length of the lounge car until the sheer concentration required to simply maintain your balance on a moving train in that condition prepares you to just fall into your sleep and be dead to the world.

My knockout when I can't sleep on the train is usually a double of some high-proof liquor (usually a whiskey of one form or another). Then you just gently walk up and down the length of the lounge car until the sheer concentration required to simply maintain your balance on a moving train in that condition prepares you to just fall into your sleep and be dead to the world.
I can't tell if you guys are kidding or not...but thanks for your help! I'll probably be spending a lot of time in the upper lounge area. That sounds like the best place for me.

I can't tell if you guys are kidding or not...but thanks for your help! I'll probably be spending a lot of time in the upper lounge area. That sounds like the best place for me.
I'm not kidding, I do do this if I can't sleep on a train, I don't know if you would benefit by trying it.

Melatonin is another safe natural sleep aid. I have found once I settle down, I sleep pretty well on the train. At home I tend to wake up more. I actually got so used to the train movement that I woke up when it stopped in the early morning hours!

Those of you who have no trouble sleeping in coach are lucky or maybe you are young.... how about the over 50 people? Hubby and I just got back from RT TOL to WAS in coach on CL. Didn't sleep at all. Couldn't get comfortable but also..could it be the guy talking loudly right behind us? the people walking back and forth from car to car all night? the constant rattle in the the water cooler area we were next to? the excitement of the trip? Don't know, but can't wait till our trip on CZ,CS and EB in September, all in bedrooms!!!!!!

Those of you who have no trouble sleeping in coach are lucky or maybe you are young.... how about the over 50 people? Hubby and I just got back from RT TOL to WAS in coach on CL. Didn't sleep at all. Couldn't get comfortable but also..could it be the guy talking loudly right behind us? the people walking back and forth from car to car all night? the constant rattle in the the water cooler area we were next to? the excitement of the trip? Don't know, but can't wait till our trip on CZ,CS and EB in September, all in bedrooms!!!!!!
Well, I am over 50...maybe that's why I can't sleep? Would earplugs have helped in your situation? If I can go to the lounge and read or hook, then I'll be content. I hope your next trip is better for you. I'm really looking forward to my first one, although I was reading some older discussions and now I have a fear of the trestles. Hopefully we'll cross then when I'm not looking.

Well, I am over 50...maybe that's why I can't sleep? Would earplugs have helped in your situation? If I can go to the lounge and read or hook, then I'll be content. I hope your next trip is better for you. I'm really looking forward to my first one, although I was reading some older discussions and now I have a fear of the trestles. Hopefully we'll cross then when I'm not looking.
Bad Typo, BAD BAD TYPO :eek:

Those of you who have no trouble sleeping in coach are lucky or maybe you are young.... how about the over 50 people? Hubby and I just got back from RT TOL to WAS in coach on CL. Didn't sleep at all. Couldn't get comfortable
Well, I'm not 50 - I'm 49 - so I must be one of the "young-uns"! :lol:

I sleep much better in a roomette or bedroom, but I also sleep well enough in coach for 1 night. 2 tricks that helps me is to use eyeshades and to use a rolled up sweater or coat as a 2nd "pillow"! ;)

Rich ... I'm pretty sure she meant hook as in hooking rugs, etc.

[says she, helpfully] :p

I REALLY think it was a typo, should have been "read a book" NOT "read or hook" but it struck me (pervert that I am) as too funny to pass up :D

Well , ROTFLOL for me too! :lol: :lol: :lol: I knew Sleepers were getting pricey, guess this could be another way to help pay for trips also!

Im sure reading a book is the real meaning but as Rich said a good laugh is great! ;) My arthritic fingers cause typos all the time but since Im old and not competing with Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt for roles dont have this option available, guess I'll have to see if they need an extra hand to help out passing out pillows in the coaches or cleaning the bathrooms! :p

Well , ROTFLOL for me too! :lol: :lol: :lol: I knew Sleepers were getting pricey, guess this could be another way to help pay for trips also!
Didn't you hear about the new benefits of getting a sleeper if you're Select or Select+?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, now, you people just have your minds in the gutter! :lol: I immediately saw that as doing needlework (not that rug-hooking is something one sees ladies doing too often on trains, but ....)

If you can't sleep there are a number of safe herbal sleep aids that may help. Alteril, Bachs Rescue Sleep and Chamomile tea can sometimes work wonders. I've gotten great results with all three.
The Rescue Sleep sounds like just the thing: 27% Grape Based Brandy as a preservative. ;)

You only spray a few shots on the tongue so I doubt if its just the brandy in Rescue Sleep but the Brandy does make it taste good. . There are a bunch of flower herbs in that stuff and thats where serious drugs are dervied from. Usually a cup of Chalomile Tea followed by a few sprays in the mouth of Bachs Rescue Sleep puts me to sleep in short order. If not the Alteril is the more powerful next step. Its made from Triptophan, Velerian Root and Melatonin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back