Info on Cooperstown/Upper Central NY

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Ok you New Yawkers in the Utica/Albany/Cooperstown area: If I ride the LSL CHI-Utica and rent a car is it easier/better to stay in the Utica area and commute,or booki in Cooperstown which is small and the places in town are pricey and the motels run-of-the mill chain joints?My biggest concern is the return,I plan to stay 2 nights and catch the Maple Leaf to Toronto in Utica,want to be sure I have time to get the car turned in etc. Im considering using Enterprise since they pick you up and drop you off from the station but Hertz and Budget have bonus AGR points of course! :lol: Its seems the rental places are not in Utica but located in another close by town thats like 3 miles from the City?The time is pretty good,arrive around 1230PM,leave for Toronto about 11;40AM if theyre on time!Any tips,ideas or suggestions appreciated,just want a clean/convient place to sleep/shower etc.

Will spend most of my $$ on stuff @ the HOF so Ill eat junk food and motel conti-breakfasts!Thanks!(Joe had already kindly gave me the area attractions,I dont need them!) :) (the maps are sort of sketchy for the Cooperstown area but shouldnt have any trouble driving there even without a GPS!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok you New Yawkers in the Utica/Albany/Cooperstown area: If I ride the LSL CHI-Utica and rent a car is it easier/better to stay in the Utica area and commute,or booki in Cooperstown which is small and the places in town are pricey and the motels run-of-the mill chain joints?My biggest concern is the return,I plan to stay 2 nights and catch the Maple Leaf to Toronto in Utica,want to be sure I have time to get the car turned in etc. Im considering using Enterprise since they pick you up and drop you off from the station but Hertz and Budget have bonus AGR points of course! :lol: Its seems the rental places are not in Utica but located in another close by town thats like 3 miles from the City?The time is pretty good,arrive around 1230PM,leave for Toronto about 11;40AM if theyre on time!Any tips,ideas or suggestions appreciated,just want a clean/convient place to sleep/shower etc.Will spend most of my $$ on stuff @ the HOF so Ill eat junk food and motel conti-breakfasts!Thanks!(Joe had already kindly gave me the area attractions,I dont need them!) :) (the maps are sort of sketchy for the Cooperstown area but shouldnt have any trouble driving there even without a GPS!)

First, nose in the air, we are Upstate New Yorkers thank you very much. Not that downstate riffraff, looks over shoulder for Brooklyn born mother or other Long Island relatives.

I would stay in Cooperstown, The Tunniclif Inn is in downtown Cooperstown - http://www.cooperstownchamber.org/tunnicliff/fallrates.html, with decent off season rates. It is old and showed it in 2000 when I was there in November.

There is/was a diner/restuarant, for inexpensive breakfasts, just up the street and the HOF is within walking distance of the hotel.

I would call the Hertz place in Yorkville. It looks like they will do a pickup/dropoff within 15 minutes of the Hertz store(9 minutes by google).

These directions are slightly longer but less turn here turn there. I dragged the original google map around.

1. Head north on Railroad St toward Water St 0.2 mi

2. Railroad St turns left and becomes Water St 0.1 mi

3. Turn right at Whitesboro St 453 ft

4. Turn left at Seneca St 0.1 mi

5. Turn right at Liberty St 0.1 mi

6. Continue on Oriskany St W 0.4 mi

7. Take the ramp onto NY-12 S/NY-5 W/NY-8 S 3.6 mi

8. Take the exit onto NY-8 S 15.4 mi

9. Turn left at Cherry Valley Turnpike/State St/State Route 20/US-20/US Route 20

Continue to follow US-20 13.8 mi

10. Turn right at NY-28/Prospect St

Continue to follow NY-28

Last edited by a moderator:
Cooperstown has an big parking problem. The local police is very good at give out tickets.

Most local but non-cooperstown people are wait for the Baseball Hall of Fame to move somewhere else.

You understand after drive over there pot-hole roads looking for some place to park. RV's dont even think of stopping.

Ok First there is no Chain Hotel/Motels in town. There some chain motel in the area, just not allow inside the town.

Since your passing on the Biltmore - Otesaga for an cheaper bed. I would go with an Bed and Breakfeast.

Make sure they have off street parking. If your sleep outside of the town, ask and use the park and ride into the town, unless your far off season.

Junk food not allow inside of the town. Ok there is an C-store, and an poor excuse of an Grocery store, But junk food per say not inside of town. Plan on spending money, and sitting at an table. Or drive south to McDee, next to an grocery store, or East to Fly Creek, NY for an IGA with some neat opitions.

I like the area, but Cooperstown is run by an bunch of people who dont care about the Hospital or the Hall of Fame.

Not sure if two days is enough. But have fun.

Just-Thinking-51

I argue. I stayed at the Otesaga once and it was exceptional. We got the big suite on the ground floor and it was awesome- and we only paid the standard suite rate, too. Its a stunning hotel and well worth the $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back