Inexpensive train additions to enhance ride experience

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Enhancing ride experience doesn't have to be expensive. Anyone have some ideas? Here's a few of my own:

• Camera on front of train with wi-fi (no internet - local only) to passenger devices and/or TV in Lounge
  • GPS with TV screen in lounge
  • TV showing Amtrak "Track A Train" using cell phone (wi-fi on equiped trains) to get data in Lounge
  • Sharing signals from one or more of the above on the Lounge TV either alternating every x seconds or using split screen.
Just a dream activity since those things will never come.

OTP is not that big of a deal to me. While it would be nice to get "there" on time, every time, I understand that delays happen, and have learned that riding Amtrak is an adventure to be relished, not an appointment to be kept.

The OPs ideas would enhance the experience, but will not happen in this day of removing the enhancements to the experience. Bare-bones is the new name of the game.

Unfortunately.

I love the idea of the camera and GPS. Almost every airplane nowadays has a seatback TV with a GPS map - Amtrak could/should skip the TVs, but if they could make the train's GPS location available via the wifi, with up-to-date status reports, that would go a long way towards easing passenger confusion about delays and such.

Enhancing ride experience doesn't have to be expensive. Anyone have some ideas? Here's a few of my own:

• Camera on front of train with wi-fi (no internet - local only) to passenger devices and/or TV in Lounge
  • TV showing Amtrak "Track A Train" using cell phone (wi-fi on equiped trains) to get data in Lounge
  • Sharing signals from one or more of the above on the Lounge TV either alternating every x seconds or using split screen.
Camera on front of train on a WiFi feed is a neat idea until the first time the train hits a car or runs over someone. If someone is recording the feed, the video of the train hitting a teenager who sees the train just before the moment of impact with an awful look on their face becomes an instant viral video. No, not a good idea.
GPS map on TV screen in lounge. Sure, but anyone with a modern smartphone or GPS equipped tablet computer can do the same thing on their phone. Add WiFi to the LD trains and let people do the rest on their own electronic gadgets. Well, when the WiFi works while the LD train is in range of a cell phone tower.

Camera on front of train on a WiFi feed is a neat idea until the first time the train hits a car or runs over someone. If someone is recording the feed, the video of the train hitting a teenager who sees the train just before the moment of impact with an awful look on their face becomes an instant viral video. No, not a good idea.
GPS map on TV screen in lounge. Sure, but anyone with a modern smartphone or GPS equipped tablet computer can do the same thing on their phone. Add WiFi to the LD trains and let people do the rest on their own electronic gadgets. Well, when the WiFi works while the LD train is in range of a cell phone tower.
Not necessarily. The CL loses positional data for smartphone GPS really easily in the mountains because it can't triangulate from multiple cell towers. I assume this happens in the West too. Presumably a moving map in the lounge would be true satellite GPS not cell tower positioning like phones use.

On the other hand, a boost in drink sales :hi:

OTP is not that big of a deal to me. While it would be nice to get "there" on time, every time, I understand that delays happen, and have learned that riding Amtrak is an adventure to be relished, not an appointment to be kept.

The OPs ideas would enhance the experience, but will not happen in this day of removing the enhancements to the experience. Bare-bones is the new name of the game.

Unfortunately.
Most of us ride trains because we like trains in addition to wanting to get somewhere and don't mind maximizing our train time.. The general public however only rides to get somewhere. Delays of more than a couple of hours does nothing to make their experience something other than negative. With this comment, I'm thinking of delays of more than a couple of hours and especially when it jeopardizes a connection to another train. Look at what happened to the CS/EB connections. Some better planning and dispatching might remedy that. Equipment problems, well, that would cost money.

Not necessarily. The CL loses positional data for smartphone GPS really easily in the mountains because it can't triangulate from multiple cell towers. I assume this happens in the West too. Presumably a moving map in the lounge would be true satellite GPS not cell tower positioning like phones use.
I don't know what kind of phone you have, but every iPhone since the 3G has included "true satellite GPS". It also uses cell phone tower data to help the GPS find your location more quickly at startup, but the hardware works perfectly fine with no cell service once the initial fix is taken. The 4S, 5 and 5S are also able to use the Russian GLONASS system for positional information.

I have several near-perfect GPX tracks made from my iPad and/or iPhone along Amtrak routes, including the CL. The only drops are when I've moved the phone away from the window (like putting it in my pocket to walk from my room to the SSL, etc).

I agree with on-time performance.

Also - and I realize that it's not always under Amtrak's control - but more information and an actual "estimated time of departure" for delays when we're stuck on the tracks waiting on a freight. More communication.

I still use a dumbphone (I'm old, I'm cheap, and I'm generally low-tech) so all the fancy GPS apps and "streaming train video" and whatnot would not be all that useful to me.

To test this, I disabled WiFi, powered off the phone, removed the SIM card and powered it back up.

With nothing to go on but the GPS hardware, I was able to get a 10m fix while sitting at my desk.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1396616275.178546.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

BTW, the Amtrak Connect login page gives you the current GPS position on a map.

In the mountains if you are in a deep canyon you may (a) lose GPS fix because you don;t have line of sight with enough sats, and (b) get inaccurate position because of too much reflected signal arriving at your GPS unit. This loss of position or accuracy thereof in mountains has not much to do with lack of "true GPS". This also happens in the man made canyons of Manhattan NY. And of course if you get into a tunnel, all bets are off.

Given the devices that people who are into knowing their position etc. already have, I think trying to provide this service from a central facility on the train beyond what is incidentally already provided by the WiFi hub through Amtrak Connect, would be bad use of scarce resources.

One inexpensive addition that Amtrak has already done is the available Passenger Comfort Kit. While available for purchase to everyone in the Cafe, these are really meant for coach passengers. I think the price point is good, and the quality isn't bad. I plan on using mine again. I know this purchase replaced previous "complimentary" pillows but this works better IMO. Likewise, a travel size kit of toiletries available for purchase, would satisfy a need. The mark up on items such as toothpaste, brush, mouthwash, wet wipes is quite high and these products have a long shelf life. Stocking shouldn't be much of an issue, I would think. Lastly, but probably most important, Amtrak needs to REALLY stress customer service amongst their coach attendants. By and large, the SCA's do a great job. I wish the same could be said for the coach staff.

I'll also 2nd the idea of wifi on all trains, and a real-time map in the Lounge/Cafe.

Regarding the "map in the lounge" idea, the Cascades for many years had a map on the TV screens that were in every coach car. When a movie wasn't

showing, the map would appear with the approximate location of the train. I say approximate because it didn't zoom into the same level of detail that you

can on the Amtrak Track a Train webpage, but it was still a cool feature. I'd have preferred that to the movie 99% of the time.

I know they've dropped movies on the Cascades in the past few years but I can't recall if the map feature is still active.

Book vending machines. NTV in Italy does something similar, free ebooks while riding iirc.

The camera could automatically be disabled any time the engineer brakes hard which would indicate possible danger ahead.

As to GPS map on TV, users have to pay for that data service. Amtrak GPS can come from a GPS, not cell phone so cost is minimal. Sorry, that was not clear.

"On-time" performance!
Neither cheap nor easy or it would have been done. We're talking a few thousand per trainset not multi-billions here for track upgrades, payoffs to railroads to give Amtrak priority, etc, etc.

Folks - INEXPENSIVE TRAIN ADDITIONS. That leaves out real improvements. Talking the little things like $1-2K + installation for say a GPS receiver (NOT A CELL PHONE RECEIVER) which has no ongoing monthly fees and works virtually Anywhere (except tunnels) plus a TV to display the output. Other than repair/replacement, no continuing expense and generally very reliable.

Last edited by a moderator:
A) Real dishes in the dinner, get rid of the plastic.

B) Table cloths not a sheet of paper.

C) Flower real or silk on the dinning table.

D) Wine and cheese get to together. (Social event)

E) A take home gift such as a coffee mug with the train name on it. (Talking point)

F) Route guild.

G) Timetable.

A few dollars spent on board, equals happy return customer who would tell there friends.

Clean coaches, clean bathrooms, and well stocked Lounge cars with food and gifts for the pax in coach.

E) At take home gift such as a coffee mug with the train name on it. (Talking point)

F) Route guild.

G) Timetable.

A few dollars spent on board, equals happy return customer who would tell there friends.

Clean coaches, clean bathrooms, and well stocked Lounge cars with food and gifts for the pax in coach.
A) China would be nice, but I can live with it either way.

B) The way the booths are built, I would rather not have a tablecloth at all (too easy to get hung up)

C) Silk flowers might be a nice touch, but still no big deal.

D) Wine & Cheese seems to be a popular item though I have never participated.

E) I would like to see train specific coffee mugs for sale in the lounge (revenue)

F & G) Good point. I did not realize that they had been deleted.

Clean everything is a must and should somehow be instilled in Amtrak culture.

E) At take home gift such as a coffee mug with the train name on it. (Talking point)

F) Route guild.

G) Timetable.

A) China would be nice, but I can live with it either way.

B) The way the booths are built, I would rather not have a tablecloth at all (too easy to get hung up)

C) Silk flowers might be a nice touch, but still no big deal.

D) Wine & Cheese seems to be a popular item though I have never participated.

E) I would like to see train specific coffee mugs for sale in the lounge (revenue)

F & G) Good point. I did not realize that they had been deleted.

Clean everything is a must and should somehow be instilled in Amtrak culture.
A. Don't matter to me. I eat on plastic at home.

B. I like plastic tablecloths, easy to clean and disinfect.

C. Flowers, even silk (plastic) are nice, and very inexpensive.

D. I ate cheese, my g/f did wine. The groups seemed to really enjoy themselves. Could be low cost with local wine samples. Staff getting paid anyway.

E. There are few, if any, tchotchkes available on board. Missed revenue opportunity.

F & G have always been available for me.

What really pisses me off is the loss of the rose in the bud vase on the dining car table. That $1 flower (or less) probably lasts through 4 seatings of four diners so the cost is probably less than 10 cents per passenger. Amtrak charge us 50 cents more and put back the frickin flower. Your have to be an idiot to believe that eliminating this TINY amenity is going to save enough money to make a difference.

I'd like to see many more amenities added but things seem to be going the other way. I will travel with my cell phone that has internet sharing on it and a netbook laptop. I set up a wireless hot spot so I can go online in our room. At least this will receive my emails and keep us in touch with the news of the day (some of the trip). We can also watch some TV programs (you just have to watch the bandwidth use) and view some DVD movies..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back