Illinois Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seajay

Service Attendant
Does anyone know what kind of equipment is used on the Illinois Zephyr between Chicago and Quincy, Illinois? What is the difference between regular coach and business class on this train in terms of amenities, seating type, etc.?

Thanks!

seajay

From what I've heard is that Business Class isn't worth it. It is just coach seating on on side of the cafe car and can be noisy with the snack bar right there. I'm guessing that the equipment is mostly Horizon, as that is the Midwest standard.

Horizon equipment. YUCK :( Nuff said. Don't go business class. I ride this kind of train down to Champaign all the time.

Now if you are going between Chicago and Galesburg, you have the option of the Zephyr or the Chief, with Superliner equipment. Use those trains. After Galesburg and enroute to Quincy, you are stuck with the Illinois Zephyr.

Yeah, this train is usually just like the other midwest corridor trains....a mixture of horizon and amfleet.

Steve4031 said:
Now if you are going between Chicago and Galesburg, you have the option of the Zephyr or the Chief, with Superliner equipment.  Use those trains.  After Galesburg and enroute to Quincy, you are stuck with the Illinois Zephyr.
I would be going between Galesburg and Chicago but would definitely go with the IZ because of the schedule. I can make it a day trip. When running on time (and I think its history is pretty good), I can get in to Chicago mid-morning and have the rest of the morning and the entire afternoon before making the return trip. Thanks for all the information on the equipment. I'll not waste my money on Business Class.

seajay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back