Illini and Saluki

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSquirrel

Train Attendant
Hi everyone

Just booked a return trip next weekend Chicago-Carbondale-Chicago using AGR points :) Anything worth looking out for on this ride? Have done it before on the City of New Orleans but should get to see it the route in daylight this time. And anything worth seeing during an overnight stay in Carbondale?

Carbondale is home to Southern Illinois University; so there should be a lot of campus oriented nightlife in the area as well as a good variety of places to eat. SIU has consistently been in the Top 5 of the nation's top Party Schools; so it should be a feisty and frisky place to be.

You are not going to like either of these trains. No foot rest/leg rest, seats much to close together and wore out and a rough ride. I would say more a commuter train than anything else. Rather boreing trip....like said corn and beans.

Well, it wasn't the Rocky Mountains on the Zephyr, but of course I wasn't expecting anything spectacular. It was a pleasant enough trip. Photographed a couple of nice sunsets in both directions and a huge rainbow on the way back. Enjoyed staying at the Train Inn in Carbondale -- it's a neat little find for anyone looking for a B&B in town. SIU is a nice campus to explore -- it was the beginning of the semester so campus was very lively. Got asked a couple of times if I was a Freshman, but am 10 years too old for that! Not much else to see in Carbondale, though there are some nice historic homes in the western part of town.

Amtrak service was okay on outbound leg and pretty good on the return leg. On my outbound trip, they had canceled one of the Lincoln services and were apparently putting people on Illini/Saluki to Urbana-Champaign and then bussing them from there to St. Louis. So the train was really packed until Champaign. The crowding meant a delay of 10 or 20 mins. I also saw some passengers arguing about e-tickets with the conductor. Coming back, the train was much less packed and had an on-time arrival, and the announcer had a bit of a sense of humor, welcoming passengers on board the "world-famous Saluki" and making a few other jokes. I enjoy a bit of irony, adds a bit of flavor to the usually clinical announcements on public transport.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are not going to like either of these trains. No foot rest/leg rest, seats much to close together and wore out and a rough ride. I would say more a commuter train than anything else. Rather boreing trip....like said corn and beans.
Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that YOU don't like these trains, and that it's presumptuous to say someone else wouldn't either? It's true the horizon coaches used on the Illinois corridor service don't have as much leg room as long distance superliners or Amfleet II's. But I think you are exaggerating. While I'm not familiar with the Carbondale route, I assume it is similar to the Illinois Zephyr and Carl Sandburg. The seats aren't worn out and the ride is one of the smoothest in the system.

What do you want the OP to do, drive? Would that be exciting, less boring? Besides, boring is in the eye of the beholder. IMO the only thing boring about the ride in Illinois would be the vast sea of plastic box subdivisions as you approach Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back