IHO my EB delay

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the longest delay you have been on an amtrak train for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My longest delay was about 14 hours on LSL 49 between NY and CHI in May 2011. Delays were caused by a bridge problem near Albany and there was, seemingly, confusion among all parties regarding the best course of action. Of course, I realize that Amtrak did not cause this delay. I've come to expect some delays and try to plan accordingly when lining up LD trips that extend beyond the NEC, but this was just ridiculous.

My only other significant delay was on CAP LTD 29 between WAS and CHI circa 2006 when we were 4+ hours late due to severe cold (less than 5 degrees F) and related freight congestion.

Based upon what I have read here, these delays and the related complications seem relatively minor in comparison to what some others have experienced. So, I consider my self fortunate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was last year, about 5 1/2 hours late on the EB from Spokane to Seattle. This was during the flooding problems in June and in fact the train I was on was the next-to-last EB from Chicago to make it to Seattle before the EB was shut down for the six weeks or whatever it was last summer. I didn't care as I had no connections to make and as I knew it would be late, that meant I didn't have to make the hour's drive to the Spokane station near as early. On top of which I got to see all of the EB route west of Spokane in daylight, not that the scenery is exactly breathtaking. I had gotten a call first from an Ambot, then a real live person, saying the train would be late and that there would be an on-time bus availabe in Spokane. And that my return to Spokane, from Portland, would have to be a bustitution. Instead of taking the on-time bus in Spokane, I chose to still take the train, which the person from Amtrak couldn't believe. If I'd wanted to take a bus I would have caught the THruway bus to Seattle that stops literally at my front door. That has been the worst of late trains I've taken. Also last summer, though, I had one trip cancelled on me altogether, on the CZ from Chicago to Sacramento. This was again due to flooding and the CZ running typically 12-14 hrs. late. The CZ was cancelled a couple of days last August in order to get equipment back to Chicago and get all trains serviced. At any rate, a very good and very helpful AGR agent got us (my uncle, his granddaughter, and myself) rebooked on the SWC (coach; we'd had bedrooms on the CZ), then, somehow, got us rooms booked on the CS all the way to Seattle. So it all worked out in the end and Amtrak did a bang up job getting info to us and AGR did a great job reacomm0dating us.

Yeah I took the LSL last year and don't remember the dining staff being so rude. Now my H is on the fence about our trip on the silvers to Deerfield Beach this November. Give me some good news about the silvers to get him on board. :)
I am on a Silver now with Vic as my SCA. Dark chocolate on the counter and he remembered I like extra pillows. I have 5!!!!

I am in a bedroom and it is not as nice as a super liner 1 renovated, but it is pretty darn nice. I am very happy right now.
Direct from South County!

I have been on both Silvers twice this year (both times) and they are both great trains - especially if you are lucky enough to get Leo or Vic as your SCA!
smile.gif
And the Dining Car staff is great. Also Deerfield Beach has a nice station with a museum! But on the overnight turn, I didn't get to see it!
Hi Penny and Dave. What Silver train does Vic and Leo ride? Would you know the car number as well? This info will come in handy on future trips for myself and others.

Yeah I took the LSL last year and don't remember the dining staff being so rude. Now my H is on the fence about our trip on the silvers to Deerfield Beach this November. Give me some good news about the silvers to get him on board. :)
Wow, I just had one of the best waiters ever on Amtrak coming west on the LSL; Alex. I'm hoping that we get to see him again on our return trip.
I think I've had him a couple times... holds the trays high up and moves them up and down in time to his big strides thru the car?

Very personable too.

I was about 6 hours late on the westbound SWC a few years back, mainly due to flash flood warnings throughout Missouri forcing the train to slow to a crawl for much of the first night (but it was the best sleep I'd ever gotten in a sleeper car!).

I've only taken the EB once, and it detoured between La Crosse and Chicago (via Savanna) due to a derailment fouling much of the north end of Chicago Union Station. It was on time into La Crosse, but wound up arriving Chicago about an hour late.

Fifteen and a half hours late getting in to San Antonio from LAX on the TE. This was back in the days when the economy was booming, and imports from China were coming in through L.A. Twenty-five minutes out of the station, they put us on a siding for five hours while they shuffled freight. After that it was a cascade of mishaps: three train crews "went dead" on that trip, the first one in the middle of the night, middle of nowhere. They had to put the replacement crew on a UP freight and crawl down the track to find us (no road nearby). By the time we got to Texas, we were so late that we surprised a track crew in the morning (should have been past there the evening before). We were in coach, too. We learned to always book a sleeper on that run, after that trip! I also learned how useful cell phones were.

The last time I took that run, we were *only* about five hours late, and arrived at 3am the night of the big Superbowl snowstorm. Our delay had nothing at all to do with the snow, we weren't even in the snow area till a couple hours or so out of SAS. I had already called to tell our hotel that we WOULD be occupying our reserved room before morning. It was so cool to look out the window and see that Amtrak was the only thing moving! When we arrived, Hubby dashed to the platform to be first in line for the taxis -- and there were no taxis! We are from snow country, so had boots and warm clothes, and we walked the mile to our hotel. Our train moved along on its route, but no other public transit left SAS that day -- no buses, no planes, nothing but Amtrak.

Wow, I just had one of the best waiters ever on Amtrak coming west on the LSL; Alex. I'm hoping that we get to see him again on our return trip.
I think I've had him a couple times... holds the trays high up and moves them up and down in time to his big strides thru the car?

Very personable too.
Could be. He actually swoops the train around at time with big dramatic movements, often causing the unsuspecting to duck as they think that they're about to get a bath.

Very personable too.
Could be. He actually swoops the train around at time with big dramatic movements, often causing the unsuspecting to duck as they think that they're about to get a bath.

Alex was on our LSL earlier this month. He is amazing to watch!

I was delayed 7 hours on the Lake Shore Limited from New York to Chicago.

There was a warehouse fire next to the tracks in Albany and fire officials

would not permit any trains to pass. We were stopped at Hudson, NY for a

long time, then we creeped into Albany, then backed up for a while and took

alternate tracks onward. Most of the passengers who had connections to the

west missed their connections. We arrived in Chicago at 4:30pm.

In the LSL dining car, I have always liked Kevin, a rather "rotund" fellow!!

May 16.....westbound EB hit by a car. 9 hours late arriving into Portland....return trip May 23, various equipment problems, 6 hours late into Tomah, WI. Those two are the longest delays while on the train. Several other trips were bustituted, including my latest eastbound TOH to CHI, July 12.

None of that has changed my mind about travel on Amtrak. I have tickets for three more trips in 2012 and am looking to plan more in 2013, including another TOH to PDX trip possibly in June. Despite all the issues that Amtrak has currently, I'm a train travel addict.

Only time I remember being late on Amtrak was when we rode the Crescent back in the 90's. We were an hour late pulling into D.C. due to a freight train stopped on the tracks ahead. This was in the middle of the night, though, so it didn't affect anyone much.

My most recent Delay on Amtrak took place in Kansas City a couple of years ago! I had ridden the Eagle from AUS-STL, then the River Runner from STL-KCY, spent a nice day visiting in KCY.

About 9pm after a Bar-B-Q Dinner :wub: , I headed to Beautiful Union Station to await the Bus to Oklahoma City where I was to connect with the Heartland Flyer to FTW and make a connection to return to AUS from FTW on the Eagle.

There were about 5 of us waiting in the Station, after the SWC came and went, the Amtrak waiting room and Counter closed, this was about 10:45PM. It was starting to Rain, Sleet and get Cold so we waited in the Lobby, the Amtrak Agent had told us the Bus would be there about Midnight! Midnight came and went, No Bus! The Night watchman in the now Dark and Spooky Union Station ( we were the only ones there)told us that the bus was usually late, sometimes much as an hour! When 1AM came and went, I called Amtrak and an agent told me that Jefferson Bus Lines had quit running this Route due to a Driver Strike! The agent told us that she had arranged for Taxis to take us to the Greyhound Station (on the other side of town) and we would have a seat on a Greyhound leaving for Tulsa and OKC @ 2AM! Sure enough, the Taxis took us to the Bus station which was jammed, and we barely mde out Bus, which was full! We got the last few seats and the Bus rolled out heading for Tulsa! After a few stops in places like Joplin, we finally rolled down the Turnpike heading for Tulsa where we arrived @ 7AM! Guess what? The Bus was terminating in Tulsa,not a Bus to OKC till Noon! So we were shifted to a Dog going to Dallas! It was a Local that seemed to stop @ Every Wide Place in the Road and Oklahoma seems to have alot! :eek: !

We finally rolled into Dallas about 4PM, had missed the Texas Eagle connection, so they put me onto a Mexican Bus leaving on IH35 for Laredo and Mexico! Finally after about 6 stops we arrived into Austin about 10 PM, and Low and Behold the Eagle had been Delayed between FTW and Austin, so I beat the Eagle to Austin after all! This had been a paid Trip so Amtrak sent me a Voucher for $300 which I used to go on another LD Trip to NOL Via WAS ASAP :lol: ! (My fellow Pax had been put on a Bus for OKC in Dallas, hope they made it! :rolleyes: )

Does a cancellation or bustitution count? I've never had a *really* long delay. Never more than a few hours, never missed a connection, dozed in roomette.

But I did deal with the substitution of a bus for the Minneapolis-Chicago Empire Builder -- I cancelled and rented a car.

This was during one of the bouts of massive Midwestern flooding. On the way out to Minneapolis we'd been detoured onto the BNSF line, through the Mississippi river flood (which was actually really interesting). The usual CP line was under a ton of mud, and the CN and UP lines were also flooded out. Going to MSP we were the last Amtrak train through before the BNSF line closed. Around the same time the expressways closed.

One (and only one) of the expressways reopened shortly before I was scheduled to return. I did not fancy riding all the way from MSP to CHI in a fully packed bus rather than a roomette. They were still accomodating people from the cancelled trains from the previous week, when they couldn't run buses either, so the buses were pretty much guaranteed to all be absolutely full.

I can't say the drive was pleasant either -- no gas stations until we reached Illinois, due to the same flooding, and then road construction and commuter traffic from the border until Chicago. But it was less cramped and it was possible to stop and stretch. And being able to stretch is one of the main reasons I take trains.

jimhudson's story is by far the most impressive/horrifying to me!

Ah yes, my cancellation experience was during the 2008 floods -- a particularly terrible combination of floods. Amtrak had a lot of cancellations that year.

My worst trip on the Empire Builder began on January 1st, 2008. After a nice New Years Eve dinner at Volare in Chicago, we departed on #7 on-time. It was a freezing cold day and the train was packed. For the most part it was sold-out.

By the time we arrived in MSP we were running a few hours late. This was mostly due to severe ice build-up under the train. By the time we awoke in the morning there was so much ice, 1000s lbs., under the train and on the trucks that the brakes were sticking and now our dining car had flat spots so bad that one end of the diner wad bouncing up and down and you couldn't keep anything on the tables. Somewhere between Minot, ND and Williston the brakes locked up again so the conductors had to spend some time in three feet deep snow and below zero temperatures cutting out the brakes on the diner. This helped for a while but just after we started lunch the BNSF dispatcher ordered the crew to set out the dining car.

The dining car crew moved some of the stock, stuff we could take to the lounge car, while the conductors were positioning the train to set it out. Once they made the first cut we had to be out though as they were then gonna shove the diner into a nearby siding. Well three and one half hours later we were under way again leaving our dining car behind in Eastern Montana.

Amtrak had arranged for boxed dinners to be put on in Havre, MT along with some stock for breakfast the next day. Unfortunately we didn't arrive into Havre until after 8pm. Needless to say everyone was pretty hungry by then. We loaded onto the train almost 400 boxed dinners and many many cases of fruit, soda, juice, pastries and granola bars. I think it took about an hour to get everything on board then away we went.

Very late the next morning arriving into Spokane, WA, we were passing out fruit, pastries and juice when all of a sudden the 480 volt panel in the dorm-car exploded into flames and smoke. I happened to be standing next to a conductor and I heard the engineer call out that turning off the HEP from the lead locomotive didn't work. He had to climb down and run back to the second locomotive to kill the HEP. So the dorm-car 480 volt panel fried for a while and burnt the lower level vestibule area pretty good and filled the entire car with putrid electrical fire smoke.

Now with the HEP fried in the dorm-car, the HEP could not go thru to the rest of the train so the dorm had to be removed. It was decided to cut it out and tack it onto the rear of the train to continue on to Seattle. With it positioned on the rear it was no longer accessible from the rest of the train. We, the OBS crew, had to grab what we needed and find somewhere else to ride, sit, the rest of the way to Seattle. The train was completely sold-out at this point though. There wasn't a single room or coach seat anywhere. Unusually, #7 had a coach-bag car in it's consist this day. So, we had to ride the rest of the trip in there. It was cold and drafty, the baggage doors didn't close fully and had really bad seals too and the floor was wet and icy.

Now, as we are running about seven hours late, we realized we didn't know what we were supposed to do to feed passengers lunch. We only had leftover fruit, granola and juice from breakfast and no managers or anyone else had been in contact with us since the previous day. Again, needless to say, the passengers were pretty upset with the available options for lunch.

We finally arrived into Seattle around 4pm. Certainly not the latest of trips but a pretty rough one nonetheless. My chef on that trip worked one more trip and then quit Amtrak for good.

So far, nothing I've experienced has topped that one.

On a single train - 7 hrs, westbound on the EB many years back, 5 of which was spent sitting partly in the train and partly in a bar in Cut Bank MT, while they cleared 18' high snowdrifts off of the track in Marias Pass ahead during one of my winter trips. At the end of the day it was not too bad, since I was basically going out on vacation and had nothing planned the day of arrival.

Eastbound I have missed connection and overnighted in Chicago several times, but I will have to dig back into my notes for the details. I am yet to miss a connection westbound in Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back