If you had to clean your own window, what would you bring?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On a couple of occasions I have seen a 2 man window cleaning crew, one with a sponge on a pole and the other with a squeegee give the Texas Eagle windows a quick once over in FTW.
On the CZ that seems to happen in DEN... but have learned that one has to pray that they don't make it worse - seems to be a 50/50 shot :-(

Related: I assume that when they turn a train around, that they give the windows a good scrubbing - it seems that most of the time when I get on at SAC or DAV that they are pretty clean.

I have not had too many problems with inside windows, but have cleaned several lower level roomette windows outside. I always just use several sheets of wet crunched up newsprint, the non glossy type, and dry off with dry newsprint sheets. This seems to work well without any smears. I am told vinegar and newspaper was an old style glass cleaning method... maybe one could snaffle a few vinegar sachets from the diner!

Ed :cool:

On a couple of occasions I have seen a 2 man window cleaning crew, one with a sponge on a pole and the other with a squeegee give the Texas Eagle windows a quick once over in FTW.
On the CZ that seems to happen in DEN... but have learned that one has to pray that they don't make it worse - seems to be a 50/50 shot :-(

Related: I assume that when they turn a train around, that they give the windows a good scrubbing - it seems that most of the time when I get on at SAC or DAV that they are pretty clean.
There are normally window cleaning crews in Denver... but not at this time of year. When I took the CZ last week it was -10°F. I'm sure at that temperature... the sponge would freeze by the time it got to the window.

Each of Amtrak's Maintenance yards has an automatic train wash that scrubs the outside of the train. Here's a video of a train going through one at the Oakland yard (one of the yards where the CZ is maintained):

There are normally window cleaning crews in Denver... but not at this time of year. When I took the CZ last week it was -10°F. I'm sure at that temperature... the sponge would freeze by the time it got to the window.

Each of Amtrak's Maintenance yards has an automatic train wash that scrubs the outside of the train. Here's a video of a train going through one at the Oakland yard (one of the yards where the CZ is maintained):

Good video - thanks. I had assumed it was something like that... but to ride through the "car" wash - kind of neat.

Ah...the good old days....the first time I rode the CZ west, in 1968, we rode thru the washer coming in to Denver. And again the next morning, coming thru Portola..... :cool:

i usually spit in my hands and then rub them on the window--works fine (but don't have a Coke or Pepsi first as it tends to make your spit a little brown
You've just given me a good reason to clean my window, every time, first thing!

Used on the windows - what a waste - would make for some mighty clean windows...

Used medicinally, after a while one would probably notice the dirty windows less and less... ;-)
cleaning windows is the only valid use for that particular spirit. I spent way to much time in the USSR and subsequent country to believe otherwise.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back