If you could go back to the 50's

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have to second that vote for the Olympian Hiawatha. Mainly because most of the route is long gone. But like the other transcons, it offered spectacular scenery, as well as interesting equipment--the as mentioned "Creek" obs-sleepers, as well as the full length dome-lounges. And the electric loco's in two segments was neat, too.

I can go back to the 50's whenever I want. Here are all the pictures I took in that era. I didn't ride all these trains, but I saw them all!

My favorite to ride was the C&NW Flambeau 500.

I can go back to the 50's whenever I want. Here are all the pictures I took in that era. I didn't ride all these trains, but I saw them all!
Thanks Tom. I'm jealous of all the trains you got to see. How many of these were you able to ride?
I have memories of riding the PRR, L&N, B&O, IC, CMSP&P, UP and CNW.

In grade school we rode the PRR from LOU to CHI at least once, sometimes twice a year to visit grandparents. There was a lot of El riding, too.

My fondest memory is riding from DEN to CHI on The City of Denver, being in the diner dome car after dark and having a great steak meal. And, I was a coach passenger. Great trip.

:hi: ".. Those were the Days My Friend, I thought they'd never end.." As always good stuff Tom, Dreams and Pictures provide those of us "of a Certain Age" Great Memories! :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd choose a train whose route has been abandoned. The Olympian Hiawatha would be a strong choice objectively, but it's trumped by the fact that my dad worked for the GM&O. I'd have to say the Gulf Coast Rebel from St Louis to Mobile, for sentimental reasons.

Denver, Rio Grande and Western Royal Gorge. The Royal Gorge was originally a St. Louis to Oakland train that operated Mo Pac to Colorado Springs, DRG&W Colorado Springs to Salt Lake City, WP Salt Lake City-Oakland. In the 1950s and early 60s, it was a DRG&W Denver - Colorado Springs-Salt Lake City Train via the Royal Gorge Route which was as beautiful as the California Zephyr route via the Moffat Tunnel. Unfortunately I didn't get to ride this train before it was discontinued and now it would be impossible because the route through the Royal Gorge has been truncated. If I remember correctly, DRG&W ran a Dome car almost to the end. D&RGW bought some of the excess Chessie cars bulit by C&O for their illfated Chessie train between Washington, DC and Cincinnati. The Domes were perfect for the Rocky Mountains. Some of these cars survived into Amtrak.
One minor correction....the Royal Gorge operated on the MoPac from St. Louis and Kansas City directly into Pueblo. The only train that ran into Colorado Springs directly from the East, was the Rock Island's Rocky Mountain Rocket, and its predecessor's. The Rock trains split at Limon, with half going into the Springs, and the other half into Denver over trackage rights on the UP's K-P line.

Might have to change my vote to the 20th Century Limited if the trip included a ride "through the tunnel" with Eva Marie Saint.

I'm old enough to have seen (but never traveled on) this train, circa mid-50's. Remember the red carpet being rolled out for Track 34 at GCT for its 6:00 departure, and once went up to Harmon in advance of it just to watch the engine change.

Another one comes to mind.....the Santa Fe "DeLuxe".....touted as "Extra Fine, Extra Fast, Extra Fare"...it ran once a week on a Limited schedule carrying only sixty Pullman passengers that slept on brass beds, and dined in a Fred Harvey dining car. The extra fare was $25......a princely sum in 1911 to 1917. It only handled passengers at Los Angeles, Williams, Kansas City, and Chicago. Ladies received orchid corsages's, and gentlemen received engraved pigskin wallets as gifts....

Broadway Limited through Pennsylvania.
Me too!
Coming to think of it I'd have taken the 20th Century Limited too.

I would probably have avoided the deep south back then for being pigemntationally challenged. Wouldn't have wanted a Gandhian experience afterall! :) Referring to the incident when Gandhi got kicked off a First Class car for being non-white in South Africa.

A route that you should still be able to ride today, the Dixie Flagler.
I have one up on you. Not only did I get to ride the Flagler,renamed as Dixieland in 1954 ,it was actually the first train I ever rode.

I was taken on it overnight from Chattanooga to Daytona Beach and return in 1947. I was three years old and that is when I discovered my lifelong fascination with trains

I

Weren't there such things as "colored" cars back in the 1950s, as well as separate waiting rooms?
Macon+Terminal+Railway+Station,Negro+Colored+Waiting+room,Macon+Georgia+downtown+Railroad+Train+Station.jpg
Segregated waiting rooms extended into the 1960s. And while no longer segregated, it is still possible to see two different waiting rooms at some of the older train stations in the South.

Shasta DaylightIt ran much of the route that is now covered by The Coast Starlight; however, unlike the current Amtrak service, it passed Mt. Shasta in the daytime, as its name would suggest.

I would opt for the Olympian Hiawatha. The scenery in the Bitterroots of Montana and Idaho along the Milwaukee corridor IMHO was spectacular, based on the many photos I've seen of it and my own rudimentary knowledge of that area. The scenery in the Washington Cascades was great as well.

Besides that, I would have wanted to be able to say something that has never been possible in the Amtrak era: that I traveled by train in South Dakota, small a sample of the state as that would have been.

Another would have been the Western Star, in particular the Spokane-Portland section. In the pre-Expo '74 days, there were three sets of tracks that ran through Spokane. In addition to the current BNSF tracks, formerly the NP tracks, the UP and Milwaukee shared one set of tracks and the GN and SP&S shared, at least for a mile or, a third set. The Western Star's Portland section departed Spokane from the GN station, and a mile or so later crossed the Spokane River. The view of the nighttime Spokane skyline from the high bridge over the river would have been neat to see. Just after crossing the river, the GN and SP&S lines parted company, with the GN heading to Seattle and the SP&S to Portland. Immediately after this junction, the SP&S tracks entered a mile-long tunnel........beneath a cemetery. It would have appealed to my sense of the bizarre knowing I was traveling beneath a cemetery. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you adda century? I thought it was the Flambeau 400. Similar to the Peninsula 400, which I rode in both single-level and bi-level versions before its discontinuance.

Did you adda century? I thought it was the Flambeau 400. Similar to the Peninsula 400, which I rode in both single-level and bi-level versions before its discontinuance.
Hey - it was along time ago, but you are right, it was 400.

California zephyr to the west, 20th Century Limited to the east.

Other western dream trips: Empire Builder, North Coast Limited, Super Chief

Back